Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Desktop won't boot, even in Safe Mode or using RecoveryCD

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jun-2013, 06:46 PM #1
Angry Solved: Desktop won't boot, even in Safe Mode or using RecoveryCD
Category
Configuration, update and recovery
Drivers and software
Desktop Details:
PackardBell 32Bit Vista.
Serial Number R836076400334

The Desktop(an IMEDIA 2215, running 32Bit, Vista) will not boot up. I've tried the Recovery CD. It gets as far as loading drivers and then hangs. Once or twice - rarely though -, it gets as far as the recovery options(restore, repair, etc) but it then almost immediately crashes. Error messages are everything from page fault, segmentation error to 'Not less or equal'.

A straight attempted boot from the hard disc, choosing safe mode and/or the repair option, loads a series of system files, but crashes, typically with the message that :

'a driver has overrun a stack based buffer. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine'.

The computer identifies Technical information:
**STOP: 0x000000F7 (0x8CE49AC,0x6899F939,0x00000000)

** win32k.sys - address 976606C6 base at 97490000, datestamp 51637086.

The computer then collects data and does a dump of physical memory.

I've also tried using the AVG recovery CD/USB. It seems to fail to mount the hard disk.

I did a memtest86 test using this facility. It indicates errors, but I've no idea how reliable this test is. In addition,as it's 32bits, the PC uses only 3Gigs max of the allocated 4Gigs.
I've three sticks(2G, 2G, 1G) for two slots. One spare. When I used one stick, it hung? There is no way to see what it's doing and when.

As the BIOS and drivers are suspect, I created an emergency usb start up disk, with RUFUS, running dos(FAT32). When I try to load a newer version of the BIOS from the PackardBell Website, the script starts, it goes on to pass two other checks and then stops, saying the ROM id is wrong. As I downloaded P01-A3 BIOS Update from the PackardBellWebsite. I beleive this is correct for the PC.

I can see the files on the hard disc are still intact as the failed recoveries recognises user names and passwords etc.

I don't want to hook the hard disc up to my laptop as the laptop runs XP and the PackardBell PC hard disc is Vista.

Last edited by Kipling777; 25-Jun-2013 at 10:57 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

25-Jun-2013, 06:56 PM #2
Before you mentioned memtest86 I was thinking that you have a problem with RAM and was ready to suggest Memtest86+. I still suggest running it if you are not convinced that a memory chip or slot is defective.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

25-Jun-2013, 10:51 PM #3
Unhappy Your suggestion of memtest+ .PS: I nearly missed the '+'
Hi.

Very many thanks for replying so promptly to my S.O.S. You are a gentleman.

I read your post and very nearly missed the significance of the plus(+). I've now looked at the link you were so kind to include, and this is something I will definitely look forward to exploring. It's the wee small hours here at the moment, so tomorrow is another day. I'll try it then.

When I run it, assuming it gives an error, it would be very useful to know if the two slots need to have ram in them, or is one sufficient.

Some of the crash dumps suggests upgrading BIOS and Drivers. When I tried with freedos on a usb memory stick, the BIOS update failed, saying Wrong ROM ID. Neither ROMIDs are shown, so I've no idea why or how they are mismatched?

Once upon a time, a very long time ago, I worked in Software Test. The only thing I learned was to accept that Human error is everywhere, even within myself and within Companies like PackardBell too.

I'll try to do a Driver Update in the same way. At least - even if it fails - I can say quite honestly - I'll have tried.

I posted the error to the PackardBell support page. Twelve hours later, they marked the issue as solved. However, they've emailed me asking for my warranty support reference.My Desktop is an old refurbished model that I bought second hand, three years ago. I hope, as it's an old veteran, they don't decline to share the solution with the rest of the world for that reason. We'll see. It would be sad if they did.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

26-Jun-2013, 03:22 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Before you mentioned memtest86 I was thinking that you have a problem with RAM and was ready to suggest Memtest86+. I still suggest running it if you are not convinced that a memory chip or slot is defective.
I downloaded memtest+ from the site you suggested, and burned it to CD. It is wonderful!!!
No need to go through endless menus. It just does the business.

I looked again at my sticks. There were two 2GB DDR The code on them looks like 'DDR11800MHZ'.
The other original stick is a 1GB DDR2.

Wikipedia says DDR is not forward or backward compatable, so I'm mystified how the DDR sticks worked for years in the Desktop. Does the BIOS pick up the change automatically?
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

26-Jun-2013, 03:27 AM #5
Bad RAM seems to have been the cause of my problems
Quote:
TerryNet,

Thank you so much!

I downloaded memtest+ from the site you suggested, and burned it to CD. It is wonderful!!!
No need to go through endless menus. It just does the business.
The 1GB stick passes with flying colours.
The additional advantoage of this is that I know Memtest86+ is okay

One or more of the 2GB sticks must therefore fail.

I looked again at my sticks. There were two 2GB DDR The code on them looks like 'DDR11800MHZ'.
The other original stick is a 1GB DDR2.

Wikipedia says DDR is not forward or backward compatable, so I'm mystified how the DDR sticks worked for years in the Desktop. Does the BIOS pick up the change automatically?
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

26-Jun-2013, 05:57 AM #6
Quote:
Many thanks Terry. You have solved it. I used memtest86+ and tried one stick at a time. One 2G stick(DDR) was faulty. The other DDR 2G was fine but of course, it wouldn't work with the 1G DDR2.

I went through the repair option, using just one stick, and it came up almost perfect. It may be a little slower than before, but I can live with that.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

26-Jun-2013, 09:49 AM #7
You're welcome. Glad that you stuck with it and found the problem memory chip.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bios, boot cd, recover cd, system 32 problems, virus

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!