Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

MS DOS in Windows: Vista?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 413 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Apr-2006, 02:15 PM #1
Question MS DOS in Windows: Vista?
Hey every,

Every one says MS DOS is NOT in Windows XP. I think it is and I could be wrong so I don't know.

Anyways, is MS DOS in Windows: Vista?

Bigk
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

22-Apr-2006, 03:42 PM #2
No. Vista has moved even further from Dos than did XP
Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

Experience: Mildly Experienced in DOS/Terminal+run KDE/Win/Mac
28-Apr-2006, 12:35 PM #3
Well, you could always use a Command Prompt which is quite similar to DOS, it allows most of DOS commands. go to:

Start>Run
type: cmd
Click OK, and you will be able to do most of MS-DOS commands. So far I haven't found anything it can't do that DOS can.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

28-Apr-2006, 03:37 PM #4
I'll be glad to send you a host of applications that won't run in the command prompt of any NT based system or later.
Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

28-Apr-2006, 03:48 PM #5
Ok, I'm sorry, I meant I haven't found any commands that don't work in CMD
Trusted Advisor with 19,643 posts.

28-Apr-2006, 04:30 PM #6
Vista will have the standard CMD prompt and it will have the PowerShell (Monad). RC1 just came out this past Tuesday.

The cmd prompt will go bye bye in the next server os and I would assume the next desktop OS after Vista. It will have alot more scripting features and will be able to interface with WMI.

Just let go of your DOS programs or try running them in DosBox which you can get at Sourceforge.
Member with 7,213 posts.

29-Apr-2006, 08:41 PM #7
Windows XP's CMD has a variety of commands that are "mutated" from DOS. Meaning they don't have the same switches in DOS that they do in CMD as well as some syntaxes are totally different.

Also Squashman I don't think Vista will automatically include MONAD/PowerShell this was on of the first things dropped from development/inclusion though it looks like PowerShell may be provided as some kind of extra load or add-in.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/04...rly-monad-rc1/
Trusted Advisor with 19,643 posts.

01-May-2006, 08:33 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpedTechy
Also Squashman I don't think Vista will automatically include MONAD/PowerShell this was on of the first things dropped from development/inclusion though it looks like PowerShell may be provided as some kind of extra load or add-in.
As far as I was told this week by Microsoft they are still trying to get it done before the Vista is released. They want it ready by then. They told me they were leaning towards putting it in. But, I guess it depends on who you talk to at Microsoft. I think officially they are saying no but they are pushing forward to get it done and put into Vista if they can from what I understand.
Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

01-May-2006, 08:35 PM #9
Well.. if you really need MS-DOS download a Floppy boot disk. I found one and it works beautifully.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

01-May-2006, 11:16 PM #10
I'll cross my fingers... I was hoping for MONAD from day one... I think it would be a great addition to the computing ability of Vista. I mean command line computing tends to be greater than GUI for alot of automation and to skimp on it is just a shame.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

29-Mar-2007, 04:54 AM #11
Have a look at config.nt in Vista if you think DOS is dead...
Senior Member with 3,625 posts.

30-Mar-2007, 10:39 PM #12
ntvdm is gone in vista which means a lot of old dos games will no longer play.
Junior Member with 13 posts.

29-Aug-2008, 05:05 AM #13
Thumbs up Now here is the answer for you all
Microsoft has streamlined your ability to launch Command Prompt sessions in Windows Vista. Besides accessing the Command Prompt through the Start Menu, the following are three other methods to launch the Command Prompt with varying permission-levels.
Trick 1: Shift and Right-Click

You can hold down shift and right-click and you will get the option to "Open Command Window Here." This will open a Command Prompt that is queued to your current directory.

For example, if I use the above command on the desktop, the corresponding Command Prompt session will be set to 'C:\Users\asdf\Desktop":

Trick 2: Creating an Administrator Session Shortcut

Alternatively, you can create a shortcut to give yourself an elevated (administrator) Command Prompt session by right-clicking on the desktop and creating a shortcut:

For the location of the item type "cmd" and click Next:

Name the shortcut "cmd" and click Finish:

Your shortcut will now be created. Right-click on the shortcut and choose "Properties":

In the properties dialog, select the "Shortcut" tab, and click Advanced...

In the Advanced Properties, check "Run as administrator," and click Ok:

Anytime you launch the shortcut, you will have administrator privileges, and your Command Prompt session will start in "C:\Windows\system32" instead of the normal "C:\Users":

Right-click for administrator privileges

Note: Additionally, you can edit the registry to add a right-click option for "Administrator Command Prompt Here." This is useful if you are buried in a directory and want to launch an administrator session on the fly.

Note: Editing the registry has the potential to cause serious (and unrecoverable) damage to your PC. If you are at all uncomfortable editing the registry, please do not attempt the following.
Copy the following text into a Notepad file and save the file as AdminPrompt.reg:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Administrator Command Prompt here"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /k \"pushd %L && title Command Prompt\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas]
@="Administrator Command Prompt here"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /k \"pushd %L && title Command Prompt\""
Open your registry by clicking the Start Menu and typing "regedit." Windows will prompt you for confirmation before running the Registry Editor. In the File menu click Import...

Navigate to your AdminPrompt.reg file and click Open:

You will get the following message that says "The keys and values contained in AdminPrompt.reg have been successfully added to the registry." Click Ok:

Whenever you right-click a directory, you will now have the option of launching an Administrator Command Prompt Session queued for that current directory:
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!