Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Media Player keeps stopping

(!)

Senior Member with 944 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jun-2006, 07:58 PM #1
Solved: Media Player keeps stopping
I keep getting this error when I attemp to open WMP11: WMP11 has stopped working, aproblem has caused the program to stop working properly. Then it goes on to say: Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I tried something logical and re-set it up. No luck it will not work for me still any help is appreciated.

I could never find that solution they were talking about.

Last edited by D0C_Hol1d@y; 13-Jun-2006 at 08:53 PM..

14-Jun-2006, 09:44 AM #2
How come I always get the errors that nobody else does? That's my life story I guess.

In XP I would remove the windows component completely and then install it later. In Vista I can't find windows component removal at all. You can deselect them and make them not work but you can not remove the piece of **** from your system. Anybody's thoughts please.... I am getting stumped.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,183 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jun-2006, 10:21 AM #3
You want to uninstall Vista? Well, if these errors are coming out of nowhere, they are probably your system. Try reformatting once more if you want to get rid of it. Go into XP, and then right-click My Computer and go to Manage. Under the Storage folder, choose Disk Management. Find the HD or partition you want to format, right-click on it, and then choose Delete. Then, right-click on the empty space and choose New Partition.... Go through the wizard, and make sure that Quick format is unchecked. Depending on the size of the partition, it may take a while, like one or two hours. But Windows should check the drive for any bad sections, so when you're done, you should have a clean, working partition.

After, that, go find your original XP installation or reinstallation CD. Put it in and boot from it. Once you get to the welcome screen, press R to start the Recovery Console. If it asks you which Windows installation you want to enter, type 1 and hit enter. It will ask you for the administrator password. Try your regular Windows XP password. If that doesn't work, then just leave it blank and hit enter. Then a prompt should come up. Type in fixboot. This will eradicate Vista's boot manager so you can do a clean install.

Note: There also might be a folder in your XP partition called boot. If there is, delete it.

After that, just try to reinstall it.

14-Jun-2006, 10:36 AM #4
eriks i'm talking about vista, media player 11 won't start in vista. I installed vista 3 times and the last time i activated it. if it don't work and not one person can help me fix it then so what. I am leaving it alone then. I am only trying to learn the new system I don't need it to be my OS for good. What would repairing the windows installed on a entirely seperate hardrive have to do with fixing the problem? Everything works except media player 11. I think I can live without it. I am only evaluating the system, it has a long way to go still.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,183 posts.

14-Jun-2006, 08:41 PM #5
Sorry, I misread your post. I would try quitting any background applications and then try it again.

14-Jun-2006, 10:37 PM #6
I just removed all traces of it. My meet and greet with the OS is finished until it's released for real. It was nice to see it and get a face-to-face, they are on to something but it still needs a lot of work. I'm not buying it until it's out for at least a year it has a ton of bugs in it.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

16-Apr-2007, 11:29 AM #7
I had a similar problem, here is the solution I received from Microsoft Tech support, Kevin Zhao
1. Click Start - All Programs - Accesories
2. Right Click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator"
3. Type the following command and press Enter.

regsvr32 wmp.dll

Popup Regsvr32 will come up with the following:
DLLRegisterServer in wmp.dll succeeded.

Start Media Player.....it worked for me. I have Vista Home Premium.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

21-Apr-2007, 09:15 AM #8
Didn't work
I ran the reg and it said it succeeded but still can't bring up WMP. Strangely I can bring up Windows Media Center.

Acer 5610-2273
Vista Home Premium Edition
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3
Junior Member with 11 posts.

21-Jan-2008, 03:29 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjam View Post
I ran the reg and it said it succeeded but still can't bring up WMP. Strangely I can bring up Windows Media Center.

Acer 5610-2273
Vista Home Premium Edition
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3

This can happen with vista if you are not typing the command from the route of the drive.

The following should address this issue.

As advised open the start menu
Go to accessories
Right click on command prompt
Select "run as administrator"

In the dos box that opens you will be logged on to C:\Windows\System32>
Due to Vista's security features some commands are disables even when run as administrator.
To remedy this try the following

From the line C:\Windows\System32>
Type CD\
Then press enter/return
You should now be logged on to the route of the drive.
In my case C:\>
From here type regsvr32 wmp.dll
It should look like this
C:\>regsvr32 wmp.dll
remember to put a space between the regsvr32 and the wmp.dll as this tell the system to execute a command and register the wmp dll.
Then hit return/enter.

Once you get the succeeded message and you are returned to the command prompt type exit and hit return/enter.
The exit command ensures that the system knows you are completed and happy with the result.

After this open media player and all should be fine.

Hope this helps

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!