Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

cannot connect to the printer operation could not be completed error 0x00000866

(!)

Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Dec-2006, 12:15 PM #1
cannot connect to the printer operation could not be completed error 0x00000866
Trying to install networked printers. Printers work fine on all other system, XP Home, XP Pro, Windows 98 even but Vista will allow me to browse to them, it sees them, but when I double click to install, I'm presented with that error message. Anyone else have networked printers working with Vista?
TechB TechB is offline TechB has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 446 posts.

11-Dec-2006, 12:41 PM #2
Oops, I answered you in another thread before seeing this one. Here's a copy and paste of the answer.

Add the printer as a local printer (e.g. LPT1) if possible. Once the driver is installed you can go into the printer properties and change the port to the network share (e.g. \\computer\printer). If it's a USB printer this may not be possible unless you physically connect the printer during the initial install.

11-Dec-2006, 01:03 PM #3
Yeah, they are both USB connected to a hub, which is connected to the 98 computer.

I guess I can try that. It worked normally with other versions of Vista.....looks like they broke something in the final version

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

14-Dec-2006, 01:26 PM #4
Well, that didn't work. It obviously worked while connected to the Vista computer, but putting it back on the 98 system is still a no go, with the same error message
TechB TechB is offline TechB has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 446 posts.

14-Dec-2006, 09:16 PM #5
I'm not sure but networking Vista to a 98 pc may require you to change the authentication.

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/net/ntlm.aspx

It's a guess but it won't hurt to try it.

14-Dec-2006, 09:41 PM #6
Thanks, I'll look into that tomorrow......it is frustrating at best, since I KNOW THAT it worked in the Beta versions...........grrrrr..............I have no problem keeping the hub connected to the Vista machine, but, as you well know, that shouldn't have to be the solution I don't use the 98 machine for anything, other than when my main machines go down Which seems to be happening frequently lately That Celeron 800 with 256 ram is like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going.........................
Junior Member with 7 posts.

04-Feb-2007, 11:26 PM #7
I'm a Pista at Vista
My xp machine just took a dump on me, so I just went out to CompUSA and bought the best Notebook in the store. It, of course, came with Window Vista ULTIMATE. So Now I have an operating system that does not support VB.net 2003 - per Microsoft (found this out after I loaded it). AND I can't print. I get the same Error 0x00000866 error ...cannot connect to the printer... on my shared printer that is USB connected to my ME machine (kid's computer and printer server). Also, my brand new HP networked printer plugged into my router is found, but the HP software won't run because it doesn't recognize my operating system. ...what have I got myself into.

Anyway if you find a solution I would love to hear it. I will post if I find one first.

05-Feb-2007, 03:17 AM #8
I hope this finds anyone else that needs it.

Problem: Cannot connect to shared printer attached to a computer with an older operating system using Vista. Get errors like “0x00000866 … cannot connect to the printer… “ or “0x00000057 … printer settings could not be saved …”
There are a bunch of strange solutions I found out there, but this is the proper way to do it. Apparently, Vista considers the connection “Local” now.

“Vista has deprecated making connections to non-RPC machines”

I found my answer here:

http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/er...pict17937.html

Here is the solution:

Create a local printer using a Local Port with the name

\\machine\printshare

For me this was:
\\HpPav\\Brother_1240

For the Brother 1240 shared printer on my HP Pavilion ME machine. Note that the shared name was already there for me to select – I just chose it.
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Feb-2007, 11:17 AM #9
I have the same problem installing an HP2600n laser and an HP 930 inkjet. These are connected (via USB) to a Win ME PC. Via the LAN I have a Tosh laptop running Vista home premium. The Laptop can see both printers and I have installed both as local printers - they do print from the laptop via USB okay. When I try to connect I get the 0X00000866 error. However I followed the advice in the above post - I also saw both printers in the local port list, but I get the 0X00000057 error when I try to set either. The Laser has an ethernet connection, but I have not yet tried connecting it to my router directly as I would like to solve this configuration first.

13-Feb-2007, 01:26 AM #10
Still Pista at Vista
The info I describe above should work. Maybe you not "running as administrator." I don't know - I'm a virgin at this Visa crap. I know your ethernet connection will work eaily. Vista seems to really like those. My printer connected to the router hooked right up.

My new problem is that the networked shared printer I describe above goes offline permenantly every time I shut off my computer. I can reinstall the printer and voila -- it's back. I really starting to hate Vista.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting my networked shared printer hooked up to my ME machine to stay "online" when I reboot my Vista machine?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

23-Feb-2007, 10:11 AM #11
Printer Installation
I too got the 0x00000866 error. Called Geek Sqaud and they had no clue!!.

Fortunately, I am reasonably proficient at this network crap. With help from this forum, I bashed about and installed it. HP Laserjet 4L printer is part of a network and connected to a W98SE box. The machine I am running Vista on is a Toshiba Satellite. I thought I had to figure out how to go from the Sat. directly into the printer. USB to LPT1. Not true,

I got further error messages when attempting to install. One was that I dont't have sufficient rights to do this...

Mr. Gates: How can an admin not have sufficient rights? To install a printer???

The work around is to ignore the fact that it is on a network. Choose to install a network printer as if it is a local printer. In the wizard of windows, it seeks out all network printers and you can choose one, it will fetch the list of potential drivers and BAM. Print a test page? You bet! Done deal.

Now I have to find out how to obtain an installable font. Caslon Open Face. Vista will not recognize the font from W2K! Brilliant Move Billy Boy! Screw us out of what we already paid for!

23-Feb-2007, 01:37 PM #12
Printer Goes Offline
Thank you for your reply. We are all fighting this new Vista crap. I was already aware of the Local Printer option (see a few posts up). My problem is that when I turn my laptop off, the network printer becomes permenently offline. There is nothing I can do, other than reinstall it, to get it back online. It is my opinion that this is because it is set up as a local printer that Vista doesn't even try to find it on the network. So, just one more reason to buy a Mac, I guess. I am loving the new Mac adds. I can totally relate! What the heck was Mr. Gates thinking. By-the-way, BLUE SCREENS are back with Vista. I got one last night. ATTENTION POTENTIAL COMPUTER BUYERS: avoid Vista if at all possible. Windows ME was a better OS, and anyone who knows about ME will understand the implications of that statement.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Apr-2007, 07:21 PM #13
Hey bigslick2007. Having the same problem - when I turn off (Vista) laptop network printer becomes permanently OFF line. Try right click to "use printer online" and nothing happens. The only way I got it to work is to reinstall printer after every reboot. Also edited reg to allow an older version of encryption. Does ANYONE have a fix?

12-Apr-2007, 02:27 AM #14
Final Solution
SOLUTION

I can't image this is how Mr. Gates imagined users would have to set up a networked printer, so this is a workaround until they get their act together.

From a DOS prompt (Type command in the "start search" section of the start menu) type this:

net use LPT# \\server\printer /persistent:yes

for me this was

net use LPT1 \\hppav\BROTHER_1240 / persistent:yes

substituting for #, server, and printer as appropriate for your network.

Then add your printer locally using the LPT# port. I used LPT1 because my laptop has no parallel cable and I don't think I'll use LPT1 for anything else.

This works and the printer does NOT go offline permenantly if you turn off the computer.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

12-Apr-2007, 09:22 AM #15
Add a Local Printer and then "create a new port" and find the ip address of your networked printers from your router home page and then enter it when called for...took time to figure out, more time to remember what I did. tricky part was using "Local Printer".
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!