Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Buying A New Computer - Gateway?

(!)

icybrez icybrez is offline icybrez has a Profile Picture
Member with 51 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Jan-2007, 12:31 PM #1
Smile Buying A New Computer - Gateway?
Hi Everyone,
First of all, I am very thankful for a site like this.
I am buying a new computer very soon. I have always bought HP's in the past but am very displeased with their technical support and the short lived computer life that I have experienced with HP's. I am thinking of buying a Gateway with Vista. If I buy a Dell, I would have to order over the internet.
What do you guys think about the Gateway Computers reliability and technical support?
Thanks so much.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,936 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jan-2007, 01:14 PM #2
i can only speak about the UK {when they where over here } and the machines where great - have about 4 at friends and family still running win98 and must be 5-6 years old now I guess

the support moved to a third party in ireland - but it was still good

no idea how they operate now they have all returned to USA

You can still get gateway laptops in UK via staples and they often have very good reviews - and good prices - but whenever i went to buy one for a friend {3 occasions now] they had all sold out

I also have friends with HP - I have a HP laptop and they seem fine

I think you will find support issues with most companies who have moved out to india including DELL
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jan-2007, 04:20 PM #3
Gateway Experience - Good!
My first Windows PC was a Gateway - Pentium Pro - $3500!
My first laptop - bought it the DAT (day after Thanksgiving, 2006) - it's also a Gateway and it's very very nice. What got me was the sale price for the features. $700 for 120 gig HD, 2 gig ram, duo core AMD turion, dual layer/format DVD burner, 1394, usb, wireless, etc...

I've used it quite a bit and have had no problems with it. I've also heard good things from friends who own Gateway PCs, but my personal PC is a hand-built frankenstein

Look for the features, price and support - those are the keys to getting what you want.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 611 posts.

30-Jan-2007, 05:22 PM #4
I spent at least a month researching before I bought my laptop in November.

I ended up going with an HP Pavilion dv9000t.

Three Reasons:

1.) I have NEVER waited more than one minute to speak with someone in technical support/customer service. (Keep in mind I bough this directly through HP).

2.) It's price range is very good for the quality they provide.

3.) Their computers have MANY extra features compared to other manufacturers (ex. quickplay - watch DVD's without your computer booting into Windows)
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 513 posts.

Experience: Web developer
30-Jan-2007, 08:51 PM #5
I used gateway for my second computer.

I really don't like it. the technical support is bad. the product they sent me was having minor problems.

I always have problems gaming and making software work

and to top it all of maybe I'm angry because they sent me windows ME along. and due to the quality of the OS itself, I had to wait and go out and get myself windows 2000.

I you are going for a gateway don't go for the mini flex or any mini models they have. they may be cheap but really really bad. it's a no gaming machine and they don't even have a fan in them. with such compact size you'll see how hot they can be with just a pentium 3
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 513 posts.

Experience: Web developer
30-Jan-2007, 08:57 PM #6
Oh here's my suggestions.

For myself personally, I like to have my own custom built. I built my new PC just last year and I have the best times of my life using it and not fixing it.
it's actually cheaper. I don't know how is it in the US but it's cheaper to built your own PC in Malaysia.

in terms of prebuilt PCs, I agree with s4baz. Hp is good in terms of service and quality. hp goes for me
Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

30-Jan-2007, 09:32 PM #7
There is a reason Dell is still number one in the world, they make very good computers for those who wish to use something right out of the box. You can preview and select the model you want over the net and then phone Dell when you want to place your order. I have ordered over 10 pc's from Dell for myself, family and friends from their site and have never had a problem.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 198 posts.

30-Jan-2007, 09:40 PM #8
We were looking at a new computer about 6 months ago and were considering a Gateway. From friend's telling me about their experiences with Gateway it didn't sound like the way to go. They said that the technical support is bad, and the computers are very stripped down. I ended up going with an HP/Compaq Presario and I absolutely love it. It updates itself very quickly, is a very fast system, and HP has second best customer support to Belkin.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 611 posts.

31-Jan-2007, 10:41 PM #9
Yea... I love my HP too as I said..

However, I'm curious Komar... how do you like Dell for the reasons you specified?

And, no it's no longer number one

The school district I work at purchased about 15 new Dell's for principals/counselors, etc.

And I mean they came LOADED with spyware.... 54 processes OUT OF THE BOX!!!!!! Google Desktop, Yahoo Toolbar... all kinds of junk.

That's ridiculous...

And, with any other company, you can customize online or call in...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!