Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Have to install generic USB drivers manually

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Feb-2007, 06:01 PM #1
Have to install generic USB drivers manually
I'm having a weird sort of problem. Whenever I plug in a USB device like a mouse or USB flash drive, Windows Vista claims that it cannot find drivers for it!! I have to specify to look in the c:\windows\system32 folder (inc. sub dir) to find the generic drivers for it and it will eventually install. I know Windows XP did not prompt me to look for the drivers manually for these devices, it just installed it automatically. Like it automatically looked in the system32 folder for the drivers and installed them right away. Is this the new trend for Vista now?? I am logged in as a user with administrative rights would it need to run as administrator to work? Or is there a way to tell Vista to look in the windows\system32 folder automatically to search for USB devices? I just it's a nuissance to keep manually installing usb drivers that XP was able to install without user intervention. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,813 posts.

26-Feb-2007, 06:52 PM #2
Thats not normal, there's something wrong with your installation. Was it a clean install or an upgrade? Or you have installed a driver, possibly for the chipset like the NForce drivers, that have caused this behavior.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Feb-2007, 11:01 AM #3
Oh I was told Nothing has been comptabily with Vista and those drivers youre talking about you may not be able to find until you download them from online. I had to do that for something.
Computer Specs
Account Closed with 9 posts.

26-Jun-2007, 03:57 PM #4
Same Problem...
I had the same problem. Reinstalled OS (Format+Reinstall)
Looks like some software I am installing, is causing this. Unable to isolate.
I suspect the Nokia PC Suite. Any clue?
RandyG   (Randy) RandyG is offline RandyG has a Profile Picture
Member with 7,760 posts.

02-Jul-2007, 10:49 AM #5
I had the exact same problem ... uninstalled the Nokia Suite and the Bluetooth Stack for Windows by Toshiba and that solved the problem.

When I first uninstalled the Nokia Suite, I had to reinstall drivers 2 times by pointing to c:/windows/system32 every time I plugged in a USB device.

removing the Bluetooth Stack got rid of that problem.

Randy
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Reasonably Advanced
07-Oct-2007, 04:11 PM #6
I have a similar problem...
Having installed the samsung pc suite (almost identical to the nokia one) and found that it didn't work, I uninstalled it. This has left me with usb ports, however, which don't recognise p'n'p devices (mouse, flash etc) like above. System restore doesn't want to work either.

Is there not a way to reinstall the windows generic device drivers properly? USB works fine in linux by the way.

Is an HP Pavilion DV6317eu laptop running Vista Home Premium
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,813 posts.

07-Oct-2007, 05:17 PM #7
Have you gone to Device Manager and removed all the USB Bubs and USB Controllers and rebooted?
Computer Specs

07-Oct-2007, 06:11 PM #8
I have, first time didn't help, second time the devices didn't comeback as usb root hub, but unknown devices that claim to be working correctly. They still aren't.
Computer Specs

07-Oct-2007, 06:17 PM #9
By the way the message I was getting when trying to do an 'update drivers' was that windows found the drivers but that the device wasn't configured correctly and gave a 'code 1'. On the Microsoft website the info for this code says again that the device isn't configured correctly. Not very useful!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!