Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

DVD/CD Drive not working

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Mar-2007, 10:23 PM #1
Angry DVD/CD Drive not working
When I insert a disk in drive (MATSHITA UJ- 840D ATA), the light turns yellow like it's starting. I can hear the disk spin; then it just stops, and the light goes out. The drive won't play, read, or even recognize a disk in the drive.

I checked the device manager. It displays the disk drive with a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it. When I click on the device properties, it says:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

I tried checking for solutions. Vista says that it could not load driver software. It begins checking for solutions and stops.

I've tried installing all the drivers I can find on the windows vista website and the hp website.

I don't know what to do because I have to have my disk drive to install software and burn disks.

Please help.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

15-May-2007, 08:03 PM #2
Save CD problem
Your description is exactly the same as I am experiencing. The drive worked one day then not the next. My CD drive is a Matsushita UJ-842 AMA in the expansion deck of a Thinkpad X60 tablet running Vista Ultimate. All drivers are up to date. Hope someone has a new idea.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
15-May-2007, 11:39 PM #3
Follow the directions here to delete the upper and lower filter values in the registry. Then remove the device from the Device Manager and reboot:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=314060

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

16-May-2007, 08:20 PM #4
Yes Rog - That worked for me. There was no UpperFilter in that registry key but there was a LowerFilter that I deleted. After re-booting, the CD driver was available agin. I have no idea how this happenined, but am very thankful for your help in finding the fix.
Computer Specs

17-May-2007, 12:56 AM #5
I believe one person found this happening after installing Itunes. If you have that, check to see if it still works. I don't know why it happened but he continued to have problems -- not sure if it was ultimately resolved as it seemed to be one issue or the other.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

28-May-2007, 07:57 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Rog
Follow the directions here to delete the upper and lower filter values in the registry. Then remove the device from the Device Manager and reboot:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=314060

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/
I did that and the first time it worked perfectly and i could burn disks but then it stopped working again. I tried guided help again but it just says "The upperfilters and Lowerfilters registry values that can cause CD access problems do not exist on your computer. Click help and support on the start menu for additional support options for this issue."

I tried this but i just didn't understand the vast amount of options given plzzzz help me!!!!
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 448 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-May-2007, 09:52 AM #7
When my CD/DVD player/burner suddenly quit working, I did this to get it working again:

Go to device manager:

When in device manager, look for:

IDE ATA ATA/ATAPI controllers

click on plus sign to expand the tree

right click on the IDE controller that is handling the CD/DVD drive in question

select uninstall

reboot your computer
Attached Thumbnails
DVD/CD Drive not working-ide1.jpg   DVD/CD Drive not working-ide3.jpg   DVD/CD Drive not working-ide2.jpg  

28-May-2007, 10:46 AM #8
i'm really sorry but how do you get on device manager ? lol
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 448 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-May-2007, 11:04 AM #9
the way I get there is to right click on the computer icon on your desktop and then select properties at the bottom of the list.

then look in the upper left hand segment of that screen and you will see "Device manager"

click on it...............

28-May-2007, 12:00 PM #10
thank you soooo much!!! and just when i thought all hope was lost! It all seens to be working well again thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Jun-2007, 10:35 PM #11
iTunes corrupts device drivers for CD / DVD Burner
This is a big issue. iTunes still causes major issues with the Upper and Lower filters. Any more info come about this that you are aware of?

26-Jul-2007, 06:45 AM #12
ok right it's happened again! but last time i fixed my cd/dvd drive by doing the thing were u go onto device manager and uninstall the IDE controler handling the drive in question but how do u know which one to uninstall?it gave me the choices after expanding the IDE ATA/PI controllers: primary IDE channel, secondary IDE channel and SIS PCI IDE controller plz help!
Computer Specs

26-Jul-2007, 12:25 PM #13
For issues with CD and DVD-ROMs, look at the Advanced tab on the different channels. You should see one where the "device type" refers to "cdrom"
Attached Thumbnails
DVD/CD Drive not working-atapi-ide-cdrom-vista.jpg  

26-Jul-2007, 04:06 PM #14
i'm sorry i've already asked were u can find device manager lol so u know that i'm as dumb as a stump but were do i find this advanced tab your talking about sorry ur talking about. sorry!
Computer Specs

26-Jul-2007, 09:22 PM #15
When you expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers key in the Device Manager you will see a number of ATA "channels".

Right click on each of those and select "properties".

Now on each you should see an "Advanced Settings" tab.

Select that and see which one says Atapi CDrom under the Devices window

Once you have located the channel the CDrom is on you can select the "drivers" tab and uninstall it and reboot.

>> Now I'm assuming you did this before since you say it fixed your problem. Anyway, there should be no harm in trying it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!