Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why is Vista Locked after returning from Sleep Mode?

(!)

Junior Member with 19 posts.

18-Mar-2007, 08:15 AM #1
Why is Vista Locked after returning from Sleep Mode?
After having Vista for 3 weeks, all of a sudden, when I return from Sleep Mode, the screen says Locked. I just hit retrun and everything is fine. Before, I got the normal screen right way. Is there a way to disable that. It isn't a real big deal, but I liked the other way better. I don't use a password, just return.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 611 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Mar-2007, 06:12 PM #2
Make sure your computer is not configured to return to login screen after resuming from a screen saver or to lock the computer..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 41,595 posts.

18-Mar-2007, 06:35 PM #3
Go to Control Panel then Power Options and click Require Password on Wakeup. Make sure Don't require a password is selected - you'll likely have to click Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable to change it.
Member with 284 posts.

19-Mar-2007, 05:10 PM #4
I'm having the same problem as the OP and 'Don't require a password' is selected.

This problem started when I accidently clicked on 'Lock this computer' once instead of Standby. Ever since then I get a locked computer screen after returning from standby.

I just tried selecting and saving 'require a password' and then reversing that and now I don't get the locked screen after returning from standby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple6
Go to Control Panel then Power Options and click Require Password on Wakeup. Make sure Don't require a password is selected - you'll likely have to click Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable to change it.
Junior Member with 19 posts.

20-Mar-2007, 07:59 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple6
That worked!! I never selected the password option before, but deselecting it solved the problem. Thanks!
Senior Member with 3,625 posts.

20-Mar-2007, 10:20 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafx
That worked!! I never selected the password option before, but deselecting it solved the problem. Thanks!
That option is selected by default.
Member with 284 posts.

20-Mar-2007, 10:56 AM #7
Then it is quite odd that the OP and I did not experience this issue initially when using Vista. Even when mine started locking the locking option was not selected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJ
That option is selected by default.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

16-Apr-2008, 12:31 AM #8
Smile Locked Icon coming out of sleep
I had the same problem. Turned on requre password without a password, went into sleep mode, came out, turned off requre password, went back into sleep, came out and this time no locking icon was seen.

Good luck...
Member with 284 posts.

16-Apr-2008, 09:57 AM #9
I still have this problem even after installing SP1. If I reset it, then it works properly a few times and then it reverts back to a locked screen again.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 41,595 posts.

16-Apr-2008, 10:57 AM #10
The settings you are changing are the ones mentioned above? Have you looked through all the power management settings? Also check to see the password setting is enabled for the screensaver under Display settings.
Member with 284 posts.

16-Apr-2008, 11:56 AM #11
I have been changing those settings since I first posted in this thread a year ago. It will work a few times and then revert back to locking.

I don't use a screen saver and I don't see any other place where there might be a setting that needs to be changed. The only time my system is locked is when it wakes up from standby.

I don't actually use a password so it is only a minor annoyance since I just have to click a button.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!