Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Sony Handycam driver needed

(!)

Member with 44 posts.

Experience: numbskull
18-Mar-2007, 03:17 PM #1
Solved: Sony Handycam driver needed
I just got a new desktop with Home Premium installed. I have a Sony Handycam dcr-hc 36. When I tried to install the driver cd it came with, an error message popped up saying the software was incompatible with this version of Windows. Does anyone know where I can download a driver so my camcorder will work on Vista?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 611 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Mar-2007, 04:36 PM #2
Vista should have the driver you need. All you need to do is plug it in via USB. You will then get a message on the computer saying it is searching for your correct driver. Once it says the driver was successfully installed you should be able to use it fine.

Let me know how it goes.
Member with 44 posts.

21-Mar-2007, 09:36 AM #3
I plugged the camera in and a window popped up saying Vista was searching for the driver. Then it said that the driver could not be found. Please tell me that I don't have to buy a new camera.
Member with 44 posts.

22-Mar-2007, 09:03 PM #4
Update. I went to a few other forums to see if anyone else was having the same problem as me. It turns out a lot of people are having this issue with Sony camcorders. I plugged it in via firewire instead of usb and the driver was installed right away. For some reason it just won't work with a usb on Vista.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 611 posts.

23-Mar-2007, 10:56 PM #5
Great! You can mark this thread solved.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
02-May-2007, 07:49 PM #6
I am having the same problem. How do you hook it up via firewall?
Member with 44 posts.

02-May-2007, 09:12 PM #7
I hooked it up via firewire, not firewall.
Computer Specs

Experience: Intermediate
30-May-2007, 03:39 PM #8
Smile firewire
i also have this problem and dont know what firewire is or if i have one on my laptop.
Computer Specs

11-Jun-2007, 01:23 PM #9
Handycam Driver for Mac
I have a similar problem. I have a Handycam DCR-HC 42 which is supposed to work with Mac OS X. ImageMixer VCDR will not install on my Mac. tried the support site but they offer no help. Any ideas for a driver?

24-Jun-2007, 01:03 AM #10
Unhappy Sony Handcam Drivers for Vista
I have done the plug and play with both USB and firewire and Vista fails to instal the drivers. It's a real pain because I also have the most recent version of Windows Digital Image Suite AND Pinnacle v10 but not much use if the computer won't talk to the camera.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

04-Jul-2007, 10:36 AM #11
Sony on a Mac
I'm having that same problem with the Sony DCR-SR42 on my new iMac. I just can't even get the Mac to recognize it. I learned a lesson by assuming that the newest Sony gear with the newest Mac gear should just talk and get along well. I haven't even found any proposed solution out there except a $100 Mac software mentioned on the profile for the camera on c|net that I haven't been able to find. (See link below under "The Bad:")

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camc...-32417452.html

Any thoughts anyone?

Peace and Good,
El Marko

19-Aug-2007, 11:25 AM #12
I couldn't get my DCR-HC36 to work with Vista either. I just got off the phone with Sony tech support and he told me that the camera isn't compatible with Vista using a USB connection. He said you could only use IEEE Firewire with this camera and Vista if you want it to work. Unfortunately my brand new week-old computer has 10 USB ports but no Firewire port. Grrr...
Computer Specs

25-Aug-2007, 10:12 AM #13
Solution Works!
I have joined to say thanks for your advise. I have just spent 3 hours the phone to PC World who suggested I do a full destructive recovery when my Sony HC19E didn't work with Vista despite trying various things. After buying a Firewire cable it now works immediately! EXCELLENT
My only advise would be that most firewire cables have 1 or even 2 "6 pins" ends. Laptops don't usually have this connection (neither does the Camcorder) so make sure you buy one with two small ends - I bought the "Belkin 3-in-1 Firewire cable kit" It was about 22.99 but I'm sure you can find it cheaper ont he internet if you have patience - it comes with 2 adaptors to place on the end of the "6 pins"

Anyway I'm off to moivie edit - thank you again for the advise.

Catherine

29-Aug-2007, 12:24 AM #14
I appreciate the indirect help as well. As luck would have it I googled my 2 month frustration with trying to get my sony to work with vista and ended up with this thread!

A new firewire card for the new computer (didn't think about ordering it at the time I ordered the computer) and a 6 to 4 firewire cable and I'm in business. I even made my wifes day with an email with a video of our boys when they where about 6 months.

I certainly appreciate the info you have provided and hope that others in the same predicament will find your help as usefull as I did!

Thanks again!
Jer
"airjer"
Junior Member with 2 posts.

16-Sep-2007, 04:48 PM #15
Exclamation Re: Sony Camcorders
I just got off of live chat with sony. In the conversation the person helping me, said that the problem was with Vista, that Vista did not support USB Streaming, and that there were no drivers, however I found and showed to him on the Microsoft Windows Site, that Vista does indeed support USB Streaming.

See Here: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...0f3751033.mspx

I find it abhorent that sony not only doesn't have the drivers, but their support people try to tell people like me that it is a flaw in windows, when it is clearly a problem with their lack of drivers. Either he lied straight to my face, or he, and most of sony are ignorant to something whcih is so easy to discover if you just look. It took me like 5 seconds to find that site.

I am further ticked because they were like you are out of luck unless you have a Firewire card or ports built into your computer. That is rediculous that I should have to buy more hardware just to use something i already had access to before.

For all those of you having the same problem as me I urge you to complain to sony, and show them that what they are telling people is false.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!