Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Pesky subtitles in Media Center won't go away

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Mar-2007, 03:48 PM #1
Pesky subtitles in Media Center won't go away
I have just bought an Acer 9813WKMi notebook with Vista Home Premium (includes Media Center). When watching live TV, subtitles can't be switched off. Microsoft knowledge base suggests going to tasks,settings, tv, and then switching them off. Trouble is that there is no option for 'tv' under this. Bizarrely, if you record said programmes, the subtitles don't record. Any suggestions?
Senior Member with 548 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Mar-2007, 05:11 PM #2
Tasks - Settings - TV does have a "Closed Captioning" subsection (which is subs), set this to "Off" and you should be OK. I wouldn't expect the subs to be recorded as they're seperate from the main TV signal.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 611 posts.

23-Mar-2007, 10:47 PM #3
Are you watching cable TV, or satellite?

Do you have a set top box?
Computer Specs

24-Mar-2007, 06:17 AM #4
I have the machine connected to a digital aerial with freeview. It has a TV card installed.
Computer Specs

24-Mar-2007, 06:20 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdabbs
Tasks - Settings - TV does have a "Closed Captioning" subsection (which is subs), set this to "Off" and you should be OK. I wouldn't expect the subs to be recorded as they're seperate from the main TV signal.
There is no tv subsection under tasks-settings in my version of Media Center running under Vista Home Premium.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 611 posts.

24-Mar-2007, 10:23 PM #6
Did your computer come preinstalled with Vista Home Premium? Is this a legit full copy?

07-May-2007, 05:15 PM #7
subtitles in media center
i also have an acer 981x series laptops and cannot turn off the subtitles. these units come preloaded with vista ultimate and acer arcade deluxe. There is NO TV option under tasks only DVD. any ideas
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

17-Jul-2007, 07:28 AM #8
Hi I am in exactly the same position I confirm what you are stating
Junior Member with 5 posts.

28-Aug-2007, 02:19 PM #9
I know this is an old post but i have the same problem i too bought a Acer 9815WKMi and yes i do get subtitles in the joy tv side of the Acer third party software add on to Media Center. I have tried all ways to get rid of this and i have now bought a new vista ultimate and installed it without the acer joy tv deluxe and my TV card works in media center fine. What i will add is the surpport from Acer has been terrible and i have pretty much done all the testing myself. I am still waiting for replys from Acer i told them thier software has a bug in it. With all the testing i have done proves this. I am still waiting........I will let you know, when they reply
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,387 posts.

28-Aug-2007, 06:43 PM #10
From http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...033.mspx#EIBAC

To use subtitles while watching TV
Some TV programs are broadcast in a language that is not the spoken language of the associated country or region; in this case, broadcasters sometimes include a subtitle language feature as part of the Teletext service of the associated channel. Windows Media Center supports rendering of subtitles in Teletext. Note that the subtitles are sometimes directly included as part of the video and, in this case, no rendering of Teletext is required from Windows Media Center.

Windows Media Center supports subtitles in Teletext in two ways. From the Teletext rendering mode, the user can locate the page on which Teletext information is broadcast (for example, 888), and enter that page number directly. The user can also set a Teletext page to display when the MUTE button is pressed on the remote control. The latter feature is more accurate in locales where subtitles are consistently broadcast on the same Teletext page.

To set a Teletext page to display when the MUTE button is pressed:

1. On the start screen, scroll to Tasks, and then click settings screen.

2. Click TV and then click Subtitle.

3. Click Off, On, or On when muted.

4. If On when muted is selected, enter the page number in the entry box provided on the screen.
Computer Specs

29-Aug-2007, 01:28 AM #11
Hi Dave

The problem I have there is no TV caption to click on in settings.

Regards

Braddy
Junior Member with 1 posts.

02-Sep-2007, 01:53 AM #12
must be the TV card that does it
I 'm sure it is the TV card that is doing it.
I have analogue cable, and there indeed, you have a TV option, you can press Ctrl+Alt+C to toggle closed captions on and off, and if you press the Teletext button, Teletext is working.
Last week, I borrowed a colleague's DVB-T stick to see what I would be getting if I go digital.
When changing the setup I noticed the TV menu under setup was gone, and Ctrl+Alt+C did not work.
I got NO subtitles at all, and Teletext was not available.
If I used other software than MCE, I was able to get Teletext and TT subtitles.
I have a dual boot and tried this both with Vista MCE and XP MCE 2005
I also verified if the subtitles were saved in the DVR-MS file itself, so that I could rip them.
Graphedit showed only 2 pins for the file (1 audio, 1 video), so no, Teletext data is not saved.

So there are two issues her :

1) MCE does not support DVB-T properly.
It 's time they caught up !

2) It seems that some DVB-T card drivers have a feature that turns on subtitles all of the time. Maybe there is some option to turn them off ?

BTW : there is another type of subtitles that is being used with DVB-T, bitmapped.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

28-Sep-2007, 04:30 PM #13
Acer software disables the TV functionality of the Vista Media Center.
fix this by editing the registry:

Goto
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Win dows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Start Menu:

Change "HideTV" value to 0

you should then be able to see the tv option in tasks
Computer Specs

29-Sep-2007, 06:25 AM #14
Subtitles in Media Centre
Hi Mustik

Thanks for the info I now have TV option in tasks, but there is no mention of Subtitles??
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

04-Dec-2007, 03:06 PM #15
hi mustick
i to have a acer 9815 and tryed the regedit thing media center tv is an option in media center menu and when u try and scan tv channels it states no tv tuner installed.
and if u uninstall acer arcade it still wont find tv tuner.

acer arcade Tv joy if u change channels to quickly tv freezes and when u restart media center tv wont work until u shut down and restart computer.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!