Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet Time Sync

(!)

Member with 644 posts.

Experience: Yes
11-Apr-2007, 11:12 AM #1
Question Internet Time Sync
Good day all.. I've noticed that my time is getting slow by about 5 minutes a week so I went to the adjust time window and tried to run a sync. I get an error message saying "an error has occurred while Windows was synchronizing with.... etc" I've tried all the servers in the drop down list and get the same message from all.. I doubt they are all down at the same time. Is this a Vista glitch, anyone else having this problem?
Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
11-Apr-2007, 11:59 AM #2
same problem here with XP. think it is Microsoft overall that has a problem.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,803 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Apr-2007, 02:42 PM #3
Works for me...

Do you have firewalls installed that could be blocking it?
Junior Member with 4 posts.

29-Jul-2007, 03:28 PM #4
Cool Vista Time Sync Error
In Vista on my internet time settings I've tried to force an "update now" but I'm getting a similar error: "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with time.nist.gov". My system isn't running slow without this synchronization but I would still like to fix it for future updates. Any help would be appreciated. I know I could download another piece of software like FG Time Sync or Atomic Clock but would rather get Vista working instead the way it was intended.
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jul-2007, 12:20 AM #5
YEP same problem here, except mine goes 3 hours behind and stays 3 hours behind. I've gotten used to it, and just add 3 hours to the time that I have showing in my head. I'm waiting on a fix for this but so far, nothing...time will tell I guess.

30-Jul-2007, 05:07 AM #6
Cool Time Sync Error
Before I posted I had checked my Firewall permissions and didn't see anything blocked that would relate back to the time sync problem but if someone could direct me to the specific program file that controls the time sync for Vista I could add that program if it's not already listed.
Computer Specs

05-Aug-2007, 03:50 PM #7
A Good Fix for Windows Time Synchronization Problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy the Adult
Good day all.. I've noticed that my time is getting slow by about 5 minutes a week so I went to the adjust time window and tried to run a sync. I get an error message saying "an error has occurred while Windows was synchronizing with.... etc" I've tried all the servers in the drop down list and get the same message from all.. I doubt they are all down at the same time. Is this a Vista glitch, anyone else having this problem?
I had the same problem and did a Google search and found the solution. It turns out the Windows default time servers don't seem to work for a lot of folks. The U.S. Navy runs one that does seem to work for everyone. To solve the problem:

Choose Start, Run, type regedit and hit ENTER (to edit the registry).
Navigate to:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/DateTime/Servers]

Right click on the first line and choose "Modify" and change the data element to 1.
(This will select the first time provider on your list as the default provider).
Right click on the second line, choose "Modify" and change the data element to:

tick.usno.navy.mil

You can add more time servers if you wish, for example:

"2"="time-a.nist.gov"
"3"="time-b.nist.gov"
"4"="128.105.37.11"
"5"="europe.pool.ntp.org"
"6"="clock.isc.org"
"7"="north-america.pool.ntp.org"
"8"="time.windows.com"
"9"="time.nist.gov"

Closing the registry editor will automatically save your changes.
Open the Date and Time Properties/Internet time and scroll down the new list.

05-Aug-2007, 08:35 PM #8
Still Doesn't Work
davidsf444 I did the regedit just as you suggested and tried a forced update with each one of the time servers on your list but with no success. Each one stated "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with ..." I really was hoping your fix would take care of the problem but thanks for trying.
Computer Specs

05-Aug-2007, 08:50 PM #9
I am aware of 3 different people who had this problem and succeeded with the particular server named: tick.usno.navy.mil

Perhaps you could try one more time by double-clicking your clock in the lower right corner then click on the Internet Time tab and then either choose (if it's already there) or type in (if it isn't there): tick.usno.navy.mil and click the "Update Now" button. If it happens to succeed this time, follow my previous instructions to make sure it's the default server that will be used for future updates. If it doesn't work, sorry, I don't know what else to suggest.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,897 posts.

05-Aug-2007, 11:14 PM #10
Incidentally, the backup server for tick.usno.navy.mil is tock.usno.navy.mil. These are the servers I use.

Courtney sends....
Junior Member with 2 posts.

29-Jan-2008, 05:08 AM #11
The firewall is the problem
The problem is caused by your internet firewall blocking Microsoft's time synchronisation program's access to the internet. According to the Microsoft help file, if you rely on Window's firewall there is no problem.

I have successfully synchronised the time by temporarily switching off the third-party firewall (MacAffee).

The real solution is to identify the name of the synchronisation program and tell the firewall not to block it. I was looking for that name when I found this thread.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

29-Jan-2008, 09:15 AM #12
Problem solved
If you are using MacAfee's firewall, there is a check box for Network Time Protocol port 123 that must be checked. When I did this, the time synchronisation worked.

To find it:

1. Click on Internet & Network.

2. Click on Configure in the right pane (near the bottom).

3. Click on "Firewall protection is enabled."

4. Click on Advanced at the bottom of the section that opens.

5. Click on System Services in the left panel.

6. Scroll down through the check boxes in the right panel until you find "Network Time Protocol Port 123".

7. Check the box.

8. Click OK.

9. Close the MacAfee security center.

After this, my synchronisation worked.

Good luck.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!