Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Host process foe windows services stopped working

(!)

Member with 142 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Apr-2007, 06:13 PM #1
Solved: Host process foe windows services stopped working
Hello;

I keep finding this window on my computer after I use windows media center or just let it set idle for awhile.

MICROSFT WINDOWS
Host process for windows services stopped working and was closed

a problem caused the application to stop working correctly

Windows will notify you if a solution is availible.

then there is a close button, and I click on that and nothing happens.

I also notice that when this happens, my internet connection slows considerably, and I have to reboot the computer to try and correct this.
I contacted the tech support for my computer and they are not aware of this issue, so can't help me other than to tell me to use the Vista repair. However the first time that I used this option It left my programs all in a mess, and I had to actually use PC restore to get the computer back to normal, and then add all my back up files and reinstall all my programs again. so I refuse to use that option again.

Does anyone know what this issue is with the Host services?

thank you

I have a Dell Dimension E521 with windows vista premium, with 2 gigs of ram, AMD Sempron 64 x2 dual core processor 3800+

my computer is rated at a 5.2 with the windows experience index, so it works pretty fast.

Other than that I can not think of any other information that you might need to diagnos this.

let me know if you need any other information or wish me to run some kind of diagnostics

Thank you

markeydsl
Member with 142 posts.

12-Apr-2007, 10:20 PM #2
Host process for windos services stopped working
Ok, since no one has sent anything to me. I did a little looking around and found in the system event viewer these errors. and when this happened, or shortly there after, I got the message "host process for windows services stopped working and were closed."

can someone decifer this information and determine what the cause of this error is?

thank you

here is the information, these are 2 events that I could find that occured when I got the message above..

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
[ Guid] {89B1E9F0-5AFF-44A6-9B44-0A07A7CE5845}
[ EventSourceName] profsvc

- EventID 1530

[ Qualifiers] 32768

Version 0

Level 3

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2007-04-13T02:44:36.000Z

EventRecordID 2981

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 0
[ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer guyquin

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

Detail 1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-1767594117-1509291538-2703179091-1000_Classes: Process 856 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1767594117-1509291538-2703179091-1000_CLASSES

Next item

- System

- Provider

[ Name] ACEEventLogSource

- EventID 0

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 4

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2007-04-13T02:44:30.000Z

EventRecordID 1211

Channel ACEEventLog

Computer guyquin

Security

- EventData

0000000028: 2007-04-12 20:44:30:187 Exception <ATI.ACE.CLI.Foundation.NotifyComponent>: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it Exception Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Component.Runtime.Runtime::myComponentEndInvoke processID:03312 threadIDCLIRuntime ) domainNameCLI.EXE ) assemblyNameCLI.Component.Runtime, Version=2.0.2488.36447, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e) *************************************************************************** *********************************************
Member with 142 posts.

12-Apr-2007, 10:22 PM #3
I have no idea why the smillies appears in the bottom information, however I did not insert them.

thank you

markeydsl
Member with 74 posts.

13-Apr-2007, 12:39 AM #4
Host Process
I am having the same problem with my computer. I just purchased a new laptop with 20.1" screen, AMD Dual Core Turion TL-60 X2 64bit, 2048 High Speed DDR2 667MHz, SLI Dual nVidia Geforce Go 7950GTX 1 GB Ram, Vista Ultimate. I am interested in any responses you get from your post. J
Member with 74 posts.

13-Apr-2007, 01:57 AM #5
Sharing Info
Markeydsl

I had sent a message to the tech support of the company I purchased my laptop from and this is a part of what they sent me tonight as a response:

The error message you are getting is fairly common and is just due to certain software programs not being 100% up-to-date with vista. Microsoft has been pushing out updates to help correct this problem, so it should not be a big deal as long as the computer is not crashing afterwards. Please keep an eye out on this and lets watch it over the next few weeks to see if the problem continues; hopefully, Microsoft will update the software automatically to fix the issue. You might also try running a different version of internet explorer from the start menu (there should be 2 versions listed on the start menu a 32 bit and 64bit version) Hopefully one of the IE versions will not continue to give you errors. We will continue looking into this issue and keep you alerted with any updates.

Just thought I would share that with you. J
Member with 142 posts.

13-Apr-2007, 10:36 AM #6
I did a lot of looking last night and someone suggested that it might be windows Defender that is causing this issue, or that it might be related to a new up date for windows defender that occured over the past month.

Just thought I might add that info incase it might be related to anything you might find out.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

21-Jun-2007, 10:25 AM #7
Hey guys ..
I also have been getting this problem. I have Sony Vaio with Windows Vista Business. I get the Host Process error and it slows my internet connection down and I usually have to restart my computer, also the startup is really slow ... it must be something with Vista and maybe Windows Defender, any news on a fix?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

24-Jun-2007, 03:49 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartgard
Markeydsl

I had sent a message to the tech support of the company I purchased my laptop from and this is a part of what they sent me tonight as a response:

The error message you are getting is fairly common and is just due to certain software programs not being 100% up-to-date with vista. Microsoft has been pushing out updates to help correct this problem, so it should not be a big deal as long as the computer is not crashing afterwards. Please keep an eye out on this and lets watch it over the next few weeks to see if the problem continues; hopefully, Microsoft will update the software automatically to fix the issue. You might also try running a different version of internet explorer from the start menu (there should be 2 versions listed on the start menu a 32 bit and 64bit version) Hopefully one of the IE versions will not continue to give you errors. We will continue looking into this issue and keep you alerted with any updates.

Just thought I would share that with you. J
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

24-Jun-2007, 03:57 AM #9
Sorry, posted reply but it didn't work. Should read the instructions!!

I have had this problem for months now so I fear just watching for a few more weeks won't help. I normally only get this problem on boot up, Host Prcess stops working and restarts 3 or 4 times and then settles down. When it's not working, Windows Aero doesn't work but I'm not sure what else. Trying to find out this in Microsoft Knowledge base makes you think hey know nothing about it! Now I reboot as little as possible, just put the machine into standby. Far from ideal.
Member with 142 posts.

25-Jun-2007, 02:37 PM #10
I have also been getting this issue since I first got this computer. I have also been told that it is nothing to worry about, however, I have been on the back of Dell and microsoft over and over trying to find a fix for this. I have tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit explorer and this does not seem to be the issue, as it was suggested to me. I have all the newest updates, and still there is not a fix for this issue. I thought that it only happened when I would start a multimedia program such as Real player but it happens randomly for no identifiable reason what so ever.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Professional
27-Jun-2007, 09:36 AM #11
Do we all have ATI video cards?
Hi guys, glad I stumbled across this thread...

I too have this issue - it's a minor irritant but I don't like it when strange errors pop up plus I got a little concerned when I saw the log entry above mention trying to connect to another machine. There are many innocuous reasons for a system to be contacting another but (call me paranoid) I worry about a virus when I see something like that.

I spent a little time poking around my error logs and did a little research. My thought, starting from the mention of CLI.exe in that earlier post, is that the ATI Catalyst Control Center is causing these errors, at least on my machine. After sifting through my recent error logs (especially the ACEEventLog) I found a TON of errors caused by this program - it is by far the champ when it comes to number of entries in my error log and is obviously not completely tweaked for Vista.

This error mostly occurs after my laptop wakes up but occasionally during normal use.
Member with 142 posts.

27-Jun-2007, 10:36 AM #12
Well I have an ATI card in my computer. But My next door neighbor does not and they are getting the same issue.

thanks
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Professional
27-Jun-2007, 11:41 AM #13
Host Process for Windows
The Host Process for Windows manages services and their related DLL files. Multiple instances of this service may be running at once under normal conditions.

Any misbehaving program or one not quite compatilble with Vista can crash an instance of it. This issue could be caused by different software on different machines, it doesn't necessarily have to be the same problem on every system.

After reading up on this it seems that the issue is almost certainly caused by a piece of software that's not quite getting along with Vista.
Member with 142 posts.

27-Jun-2007, 12:40 PM #14
I find it interesting that I bought this computer with all the hardware and software preinstalled from the factory, yet, the hardware, software issues continue to appear. I would have thought that the developers of the operating system would work through this process before actually selling the products. Oh well, It would appear that there is still a lot of work to be done on this operating system and the components that go along with it.

Thank you again
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

30-Jun-2007, 02:08 PM #15
I just bought a gateway laptop nx100x
with windows vista business
and i started to get the same message:
HOST PROCESS FOR WINDOWS SERVICES STOPPED WORKING AND WAS CLOSED

I check the Problem Reports and Solutions of Win Vista, and this the message (log):
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: svchost.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549adc4
Fault Module Name: StackHash_e4df
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000af1c9
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: e4df
Additional Information 2: 5ebfa8e220bcefbe83b679d147c56022
Additional Information 3: 5e71
Additional Information 4: 09d9ce03d1cebffee75d776011b07616

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 354060782

Does anyone can help me with this crazy situation??
because I have already reinstalled all my os and software, because in just two weeks i bout this laptop it crashed and the c:\program files\common files become unreadable and unnacessible, etc.
thankssssssssssssss!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!