Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows explorer has stopped working

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

20-Apr-2007, 09:09 PM #1
Windows explorer has stopped working
I just bought a new notebook with Vista. This is the first time I've come in contact with

this operating system. My problem is this, alot of the time when I go to open a file, or

unzip a compressed file no matter what unzipper I use (winrar,winzip,etc) I get this error

that shuts down explorer which in turn closes all the files I have open. It happens ALOT!!

The error reads as follows: " Windows explorer has stopped working. Windows can check

online for a solution and try to restart the program." Then gives these two options.

" Check online for a solution and restart the program." or " Restart the program." I'm to

the point of tossing this thing. If anyone else has this problem with a fix I'd be ever

so grateful!! Thank-You. Drafter
Member with 658 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Apr-2007, 10:17 AM #2
.zip files are supported by both XP and Vista. You don't need a unzipper to unzip these. You can open these folders and windows will extract the files. If you are using a different type like a .rar file, then I don't know what to tell ya. I would check their websites for the newest "Vista compatible" version.
Account Closed with 0 posts.

29-Apr-2007, 06:10 PM #3
windows explorer has stopped working
Go to control panel....disable the user account.....This will resolve the issue for you...This is a bug in windows Vista....It will get resolved with SP1 of Vista.....
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jun-2007, 08:43 AM #4
Turning off user account does not work
I had high hopes, finally got in to turn OFF my user account and restart the computer. Not a single change, still the popup ever five seconds. Any other ideas?

29-Jun-2007, 10:43 AM #5
I had the same problem except i was tricked into downloadind an active x file to allow me to watch a video and a trojan was found and this message popped up on my comp all you have to do is find some way to get into control panel and delete a progam called windows warning....i didnt get that far...my comp popped up windows defender and i stalled it long enough to open up some files under windows explorer that other wise wouldn't work and deleted it.

29-Jul-2007, 08:03 AM #6
"Windows Explorer has stopped working"
hi..

i was just going through the message thread and remebered abt this article in the microsoft website...

Had a thought of sharing this with you...

Let me know if this fixes your problem

My email : sureshkumar952@yahoo.com

Error message when you log on to Windows Vista: "Windows Explorer has stopped working"
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 937093
Last Review : May 8, 2007
Revision : 1.0

On This Page
SYMPTOMS
CAUSE
RESOLUTION
How to determine whether you have Digital Vault installed
How to update Digital Vault
How to uninstall Digital Vault
What to do if you have spyware or a virus on the computer
SYMPTOMS
After you start the computer and log on to Windows Vista, you receive the following error message:
Windows Explorer has stopped working
You cannot access your desktop.
Back to the top
CAUSE
This issue occurs if you have version 5.1.5.0 of the StompSoft by Migo Digital Vault program installed. Or, you have an earlier version of this program installed.

This issue may also occur if you have a third-party program such as Reno or Spydawn installed.
Back to the top
RESOLUTION
How to determine whether you have Digital Vault installed
To determine whether you have Digital Vault installed, follow these steps: 1. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL.
2. Click Start Task Manager.
3. In Task Manager, click the Application tab, and then click New Task.
4. In the Create New Task dialog box, type cmd, and then click OK.
5. At the command prompt, type dir "Program Files", and then press ENTER.
If a Digital Vault folder appears in the output of the command in step 5, you may have to update the program to a newer version.
Back to the top
How to update Digital Vault
Digital Vault version 5.1.5.0 and earlier versions are incompatible with Vista. These versions cause Windows Explorer to crash. Version 5.1.5.1 is compatible with Vista. To update Digital Vault to version 5.1.5.1, follow these steps.

Note Windows Explorer may continue to crash during this process. 1. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then click Start Task Manager.
2. In Task Manager, click the Application tab, and then click New Task.
3. In the Create New Task dialog box, type iexplore.exe and then click OK.
4. In Internet Explorer, visit the following Migo Software Web site:
http://stompsoft.helpserve.com/index...eid=23&nav=0,4 (http://stompsoft.helpserve.com/index...eid=23&nav=0,4)
5. Follow the instructions on the Web site to install the update.
6. Restart the computer.

Back to the top
How to uninstall Digital Vault
1. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then click Start Task Manager.
2. In Task Manager, click the Application tab, and then click New Task.
3. Click Browse, and then open the Digital Vault folder.

By default, the path of this folder is C:\Program Files\Stompsoft\Digital Vault.
4. Right-click DigitalVault, and then click Open.
5. Click OK to start Digital Vault, and then type your Digital Vault password.
6. Before you uninstall Digital Vault, back up your encrypted files. To do this, follow these steps: a. In Digital Vault, click Open an Existing Vault.
b. Click the vault to back up.
c. Click the files to back up, and then click Unprotect.
d. Exit Digital Vault. If you are prompted to protect the files before you exit, click No.

Note If you do not click No, the files will not be available.

7. Click Options and Settings, click Uninstall Program, and then click Yes.
8. Open the Digital Vault folder.
9. Click the INSTALL file, and then click Open.
10. Click Automatic, click Next, and then click Finish.

Back to the top
What to do if you have spyware or a virus on the computer
If you have spyware or a virus on the computer, scan the system by using an antispyware program such as Windows Defender or Windows OneCare. If you decide to use Windows Defender, follow these steps: 1. Restart the computer.
2. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then click Start Task Manager.
3. In Task Manager, click the Application tab, and then click New Task.
4. In the Create New Task dialog box, type %programfiles%\windows defender\msascui.exe, and then click OK.

Windows Defender starts.
5. On the Scan drop-down menu, click Full Scan.
6. Remove any virus and any spyware that is detected.
Then, use System Restore to return the computer to a known good restore point. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, type System Restore in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. Click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.
3. Click a date on which the issue did not occur.
4. Click Next.
5. Click Finish.
6. Restart the computer.
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.

13-Aug-2007, 11:14 PM #7
The only goal here is to remove a trojan that installed itself on the computer. It can be accessed from the Add/Remove programs list, but the only problem is explorer keeps restating and you can’t open the windows fast enough without them automatically closing. This is an in-depth fix, read carefully:

1. Open Task Manager via Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
2. Click File > New Task (Run…)
3. Type “C:\Program Files” Press ENTER

Note: Since the explorer browser was accessed through Task Manager, it shouldn’t close every time Explorer restarts. If it does, repeat steps 1-3 until the window never closes after an Explorer restart.

4. Click the “Folders” link near the bottom of the left-hand colored pane.
5. Click Control Panel.
6. Click Program and Features.
7. Click the “Installed” tab so it sorts by installation date.
8. Notice the programs installed on the current day’s date! You need to uninstall these.
9. READ CAREFULLY!!!
10. When you click to remove one of these programs, windows will ask you to restart. DO NOT RESTART. Click “No”
11. If/When Windows prompts you telling you the uninstallation failed, click “Uninstall Using Recommended Settings”.
12. Repeat the same uninstall process, on every program installed on the current day's date, until Explorer stops restarting. Look for "Safety Alert" or "Messaging Service" specifically.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
14-Aug-2007, 04:30 PM #8
Just to say I had the same problem and the solution left by joncotes worked. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
25-Aug-2007, 10:51 PM #9
joncotes's solution worked like a charm! I just registered so I could point out that this worked! Thank you very much!
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2007, 02:36 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joncotes
The only goal here is to remove a trojan that installed itself on the computer. It can be accessed from the Add/Remove programs list, but the only problem is explorer keeps restating and you can’t open the windows fast enough without them automatically closing. This is an in-depth fix, read carefully:

1. Open Task Manager via Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
2. Click File > New Task (Run…)
3. Type “C:\Program Files” Press ENTER

Note: Since the explorer browser was accessed through Task Manager, it shouldn’t close every time Explorer restarts. If it does, repeat steps 1-3 until the window never closes after an Explorer restart.

4. Click the “Folders” link near the bottom of the left-hand colored pane.
5. Click Control Panel.
6. Click Program and Features.
7. Click the “Installed” tab so it sorts by installation date.
8. Notice the programs installed on the current day’s date! You need to uninstall these.
9. READ CAREFULLY!!!
10. When you click to remove one of these programs, windows will ask you to restart. DO NOT RESTART. Click “No”
11. If/When Windows prompts you telling you the uninstallation failed, click “Uninstall Using Recommended Settings”.
12. Repeat the same uninstall process, on every program installed on the current day's date, until Explorer stops restarting. Look for "Safety Alert" or "Messaging Service" specifically.
Thank you so much "joncotes". I read, and read, and read, for hours trying to figure out how to get the stupid repeating windows explorer has stopped working windows explorer is restarting crap to stop. After trying other peoples suggestions many times, I came upon yours. And I thought, "there is no way i'm gonna be able to get to the @#$% control panel cause the #$%*& thing won't let me" But I tried it and, IT WORKED!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I was so relieved, I still can't stop smiling! Thanx a bunch!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

15-Sep-2007, 10:08 PM #11
THANK YOU joncotes!!!

My husband was surfing around, and tried to see some car video, and all hell broke loose with the trojan. Knowing this Explorer shutdown was not any std windows error I have ever seen, and watching the veins starting to pop out of his frustrated computer novice head, I quickly grabbed my laptop and starting from asking the quesiton on google, in about 5 clicks I was at this AWESOME site!

Followed your instructions and, while it WAS a tad challenging to navigate to where you need with that wacked window keep getting in the way, IT DID work like a charm just like everyone else said here.

I too registered mostly to THANK you, but think I can find out other useful stuff from a bunch of very nice and VERY smart techies!

Thanks for being there when we needed ya!

Diane
Orlando, FL
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2007, 12:52 AM #12
Even though joncotes helped with my "windows explorer has stopped working, windows explorer is restarting" crap, which popped up exactly 149 times (i found out under control panel classic view in problem reports & solutions) there are still problems with my computer. later on that night, while i was sleeping, i guess, something(probably some kind of virus or trojan) was still on my computer. now my desktop background is gone and i have no idea how to get it working. it says "this feature has been disabled, please contact your system administrator for details". whatever the crap that means... i'm guess i'm just going to have to take my comp to Best Buy to figure out exactly what the deal is. i downloaded spybot search and destroy but the guy at geeksquad said anything free like that can still have trojans attached to it. i just don't know. i've had my comp for only a month and i am so upset that i chose to install that stupid activex controller. i don't even remember what it was for. that's how petty it was. what i don't understand is why ppl want to @#$* up other ppls computers like that. but then again, i aks the same question about murder. WHY WHY WHY??? anyway, thanx again joncotes. if anyone can tell me the best way to locate and destroy trojans and viruses that will REALLY work, let me know.....thanxxxx!!!!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

16-Sep-2007, 07:05 AM #13
Tessa

Thats a bummer for sure. Its really hard to know exactly what did enter or affect your computer other than the Explorer trojan. I sure agree with you, I NEVER EVER EVER get why people, who never even know who they are affecting, keep writing and executing these trojans, what pleasure is in it for them? Just sad and sick, and does take so much of the fun out of this wonderful place we call internet.

As for what you may want to try, before heading to BestBuy, who will most likely tell you they have to reformat the whole thing, as the level of techs they have there are only competant to a very basic level, you may want to try , as someone else suggested, a spysweep/antivirus program of some kind.

The one that I have used, and recommended is spysweeper with antivirus. You can download a free scan version at spysweeper.com, which will actually tell you what mal wear you have on your computer, but if you want to destroy and quaranteed the bad stuff you do need to buy it. Its 39.95, and the REALLY good benefit of this softwear, is they have LIVE human, English Speaking phone support, that are actually pretty good.

My brother, and total computer MORON, @#$$#@%@#$ 'd up his business computer with some of this bad crap, and he used this program. It worked wonders for him, and he even did have to call a few times, but they were very helpful and knew JUST what to walk him thru.

I do not work for them, or get any compensation from them. I just recommend them as a good and workable piece of software.

Good Luck!!

Diane

17-Sep-2007, 01:52 PM #14
Hey everyone,
My vista install has this problem, but when i try joncote's method it does not ask me to restart or not. It's either 'OK' or 'Cancel' and no dialoge comes up saying installation failed/use normal settings

Any tips?
Thanks

25-Oct-2007, 11:00 PM #15
solution
lol

same problem for everyone I cant say that the reason is same but I can assure it is because of installation of some software which act as explorer blocker

There are many solution according to the programs that has been installed on your system by mistake

one reason which is

http://www.smart-browser.com/ click to this site click on downloads

http://smart-browser.com/uninstall-smart-browser.exe download this and then run it

try to reproduce the problem its gone.

there are some product not compatible with vista and thus creates problem

If it solves your problem its ok

otherwise send me details of temp folder and program files folder on your system

and uninstall all non authentic softwares
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!