Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Local Access Only to wireless network

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Apr-2007, 09:08 PM #1
Local Access Only to wireless network
Hi there,

i've just updated my pc and laptop to windows vista. pc to vista business and laptop to vista home premium, and other than a sound driver issue on my pc was having no problems, this was at home where i had my pc conncted to my router by a network cable, and was using my laptop wirelessly, both happilly acessing the internet.

since then i have come back to university, which is where the problem starts. in my university house we have no wired network so i have to connect to the router wirelessly with my pc as well as my laptop. my laptop has had no problem with this and i'm connected to the internet wirelessly on my laptop right now, my pc however which is currently in the same location as my laptop is having trouble accessing the network.

on my pc i can open the connect to a wireless network screen and see the network i want to connect to (the signal strength is currently shown as 3/5 bars). i select my network and press connect, i am told that connecting to the network is taking longer than usual and then that the connection is unsucessful. when i open the network and sharing centre it says i am connected to an unidentified network (public network) and that access is local only. connection wireless network connection(my network name)
and that signal strength is very good. (fyi it is a wep security enabled network, we previously had mac address filtering turned on, i've now turned it off while i'm trying to fix my pc's connection)

i have no success getting onto the internet (there is a red cross on the line representing the link between my unidentified network and the internet). i also cannot ping local addresses or access the router log in page. i have tried disabling ipv6 and also specifying custom settings in ipv4 (using similar settings to those on my laptop that i can see by running ipconfig/all on the command line.

i have spent a lot of time trying to find the latest drivers for the wireless adapter which is on my motherboard; ASUS 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Card, in the properties it says the manufacturer is marvell and reports no errors and seems to think it is happy with the drivers it has.

basically this is very frustrating, next thing i intend to try is moving my computer closer to the router and plugging it in with an ethernet cable and running a driver detection wizard to see if it can find any updates for the wireless.

i would greatly appreciate any help on this to allow me to get online wirelessly wth my pc, just like i am with my laptop!

thanks for looking

Matt
Member with 757 posts.

22-Apr-2007, 10:30 PM #2
Set the connection up manually. In control panel, network and sharing center, click on connect to a network. It should find the wireless, put in the network name as if it wasn't broadcasting an ssid, then when you try to connect it should prompt you for password or passphrase.
Computer Specs

23-Apr-2007, 01:11 PM #3
hi, thanks for the reply, when i try and do this it just tells me that that network already exists and would i like to open the "connect to a network" dialog so i can connect or choose a different name.
any other suggestions?
Member with 757 posts.

23-Apr-2007, 02:34 PM #4
Remove it first then set it up manually.
Computer Specs

23-Apr-2007, 03:21 PM #5
its not possible to remove is it? it just appears in the list of wireless networks in range whether disconnected or not. i tried it while disconnected.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

23-Apr-2007, 03:36 PM #6
Similar Problem
I recently ran chkdsk by request from my laptop after a reboot.....

Now, I can see my wireless network, but I can only connect locally both wirelessly and wired....

Even if I try to log on to a dial-up account (netzero) it will communicate wit netzero (login verified, etc etc) BUT when it comes time for the browser to open, it just hang-up and redials, and does this indefinitely (hang-up, redial, login hang-up, redial login, etc)

I'm pullin 169 IP's from all my adapters, (3... ethernet, wireless, and a USB wireless adapter) I have reinstalled all my adapters, they all say working fine.

I was told that when I ran chkdsk, it deleted the index files (*which were pointers, for specific hardware)...

So is there any way to retrieve those files? I've tried system restore to no avail, and I have ran the repair from the vista disk, but still no solution...

I'm thinking that the hardware is working fine, but it's the communication between the hardware and my network which is faulty...

I'm seeing the wireless network, connecting "takes longer than usual", then it says connected to unidentified Network, but I cannot tap into my router even with the 192.168.0.1 (comcast gateway), like I said I keep getting 169 ip's

is there a solution to this, PLEASE HELP....
Member with 757 posts.

23-Apr-2007, 06:59 PM #7
Go into network and sharing center, manage wireless networks, and right click on the network and choose remove. Then click add, and manualy enter the network name. then choose that network and click connect. you should be presented with a box to enter the pasword.
Syc, you should start a new thread, rather than piggyback off this one. 169s mean you're not being assigned an address by the router.
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2007, 09:48 AM #8
no luck with that, thanks anyway, i've just ordered a usb wireless adapter that is vista supported i think it must be the drivers that are the problem with my onboard wireless
Junior Member with 5 posts.

24-Apr-2007, 11:08 AM #9
moved, thanks....
Junior Member with 13 posts.

25-Apr-2007, 07:18 PM #10
Vista
If you can get to your router, try cloning your PC's MAC address to the router. This worked for me.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-May-2007, 04:33 PM #11
check your IPv4 settings
well i had the same problem and i fixed it by changing the IPv4 settings (its ip address should be set to something esle. just select the "Obtain an IP address automatically" option and the same for the DNS. now try reconnecting.

Start>networks>network and sharing center>Manage network connections
now right click your connection and select properties
now select IPv4 and again select properties
Junior Member with 1 posts.

14-May-2007, 02:29 PM #12
ehi morros , and easy solution is to disable de UAC (User Account Control), this think disable most of the security stuff of windows vista, this works for be
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

14-May-2007, 07:09 PM #13
I think maiden has something here...I have been reading post after post on network problems, which I have never encountered on 3 Vista pc's. I disabled User Account Control in Security Center, Control panel, and also "Change the way Security center notifies me "no notification of
changes" and also disabled Windows Defender when it failed to update one time and kept bombing me with error messages about it. I would bet that could be the solution.

11-Jul-2007, 03:23 PM #14
Check you Internet Options, Connection, LAN Settings and make sure Automatically Detect Settings is checked, it seems it is not checked by default in Vista.

28-Jul-2007, 11:33 AM #15
Vista Local Access Only Pb
A Diu Siatz /Hello!

A Comtrend router, to which I used to connect freely, doesn't give me internet under Vista anymore, while I previously could under XP (Access: local only).
I tried every solution as above stated:

- Automatically Detect Settings checked in internet options
- Obtain an IP address automatically under TCPIP properties
- DHCP enabled
- Disabled User Account Control in Security Center
- Disable most of the Vista security stuff
- Removed and set up all connections
- Tried IPv6 off
- etc.

Any help anyone? Molta mercé / Many thanks

Google Occitan www.google.com/intl/oc/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!