Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cursor not working - is this Vista??

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Apr-2007, 02:00 AM #1
Cursor not working - is this Vista??
I have just bought a new laptop with Vista Home Premuim installed and I have noticed that the cursor often doesn't work in the centre of the screen. It will appear, and move around, but if I want to select something, and I click, it instead deselects the entire window. I can select things on the ouside edges of the screen, it's just a space in the centre where I can't, and it's in every programme, as well as on the desktop. Can I fix this? Is this a Vista problem? Or is there something wrong with my new computer?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,894 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Apr-2007, 09:32 AM #2
There is something wrong with your computer. The cursor is controlled by the video card, not Vista. You can try reinstalling (or better yet, updating) the video drivers, but I still believe the problem may be the card itself.

Courtney sends....
Computer Specs

28-Apr-2007, 10:30 PM #3
there is nothing wrong with what i can see or anything like that. I can see the cursor perfectly, I can move it, i can select with it. It's just that what I select isn't right. So if I try to click into text in a word document, it will instead deselect the entire window, so that i have to click on the top of the screen to select the window again, then use the tab key to select what i want. It's not a problem all the time, just most of the time. Sometimes, everything works fine. Is this still my video card? Thanks for your help.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

06-Jul-2008, 03:38 PM #4
Hi aqleks,
Did you resolve this?? I have had exactly the same problem now since I bought my ASUS laptop.

It doesn't happen all the time and a reboot usually sorts it out but it still drives me nuts!

Thanks
Computer Specs

16-Jul-2008, 09:52 PM #5
I never did work out what the problem was, but it just fixed itself after a while - I assumed that the updates did it for me! But I'm not sure which updates. Make sure that you have the latest graphics card drivers, and install Vista Service Pack 1 and see what happens.

If it still happens, I found that using a program that forced Vista to go out of Aero and back to normal mode (such as an old version of VLC) tended to fix the problem for me - at least until I restarted my computer the next time. So you could just take it back to classic view and turn off Aero altogether and see if that helps. Apparently this is a relatively common thing with Asus and Vista - some sort of weird incompatibility.

Good luck!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,894 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jul-2008, 09:57 PM #6
Actually, you just proved that the problem isn't Vista. If the computer is using Aero, the video card controls the cursor. If you are using the basic interface, Vista controls the cursor.

Did you try updating the video card drivers for your laptop? Did you contact the manufacturer of your laptop? Did you visit their website?

Courtney

Last edited by Courtneyc; 16-Jul-2008 at 10:03 PM..
Junior Member with 2 posts.

20-Jul-2008, 06:06 AM #7
I visited NVidias site to try and update the driver, unfortunately no new driver exists for the card that I have ( GO 7300) - typical! Couldn't find anything specific on Asus support so may send them an e mail.

I have already installed and then uninstalled service pack 1 as it caused me so many problems - think I will wait for the next one.

The problem recently became more frequent so I have just disabled the card and re enabled it, following a re boot this seems to have worked but dont know for how long.

Thanks for the help anyway!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!