Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Vertical Lines on Screen - Vista and nVidia problem

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-May-2007, 08:41 PM #1
Vertical Lines on Screen - Vista and nVidia problem
I installed Vista (32 bit) about a week ago. Everything was running ok until I started getting the "Display driver has stopped responding and is now recovering" error, with the vertical lines up and down the screen (artifacts?). Computer would usually freeze and then restart ok. I tried updating the drivers (but only by pressing "update drivers" in device manager, not actually downloading the drivers from the nVidia website).

Now my computer won't start without the vertical lines, and I can only boot into safe mode (when I try to start into regular mode it lands on a black screen). The vertical lines start at the POST screen and continue on. The fan on the graphics card is still running.

I tried installing the drivers specifically for vista from the nVidia website. I can complete the first half of the installation (until you need to restart), but the second part won't complete after the restart (windows recognizing that there are two sets of drivers, etc).

Troubleshooting that I have tried:
-reinstalling vista - didn't work and now I can no longer boot into safe mode because the install didn't complete
-reset the BIOS

Thanks so much. (Sorry if this is a bit long)

ETA: I'm using an nVidia GeForce 6600GT 128 MB AGP 4x/8x
Computer Specs
Member with 1,894 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-May-2007, 09:08 PM #2
Bring up Vista in safe mode. Uninstall the Nvidia drivers and reboot. When Vista detects the video card and offers to install, say no.

Now install the downloaded drivers you downloaded from Nvidia's website. (P.S.: These are the instructions for installing the drivers and listed in Nvidia's installation instructions.)

Courtney sends....
Computer Specs

28-May-2007, 10:06 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtneyc
Bring up Vista in safe mode. Uninstall the Nvidia drivers and reboot. When Vista detects the video card and offers to install, say no.

Now install the downloaded drivers you downloaded from Nvidia's website. (P.S.: These are the instructions for installing the drivers and listed in Nvidia's installation instructions.)

Courtney sends....
Thanks for the help but...probably a stupid move on my part; I posted that I tried to reinstall vista as a last resort, and now I can't boot regularly or into safe mode because it says that the installation can't complete (because it can't boot regularly without graphics).

I tried following the directions on nVidia's site before but it wasn't working because windows didn't dectect that there were two sets of drivers installed.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

28-May-2007, 10:17 PM #4
sounds like you may want to just go ahead and reinstall vista all together because you never know when you are going to need Safe Mode. Since it has only been a week since you installed just a week ago it doesnt sound like there are any super sensitive files that could not easily be backed up... I had the same problem when I first installed vista but after about a month nVidia finally got everything worked out and the graphics divers work fine for me now...
Computer Specs

28-May-2007, 10:25 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabem
sounds like you may want to just go ahead and reinstall vista all together because you never know when you are going to need Safe Mode. Since it has only been a week since you installed just a week ago it doesnt sound like there are any super sensitive files that could not easily be backed up... I had the same problem when I first installed vista but after about a month nVidia finally got everything worked out and the graphics divers work fine for me now...
Ok this is probably a noobish question here, but how would I go about completely wiping my hard drive (in order to reinstall vista) if I can't boot at all? I already tried just sticking in the boot disk, and selecting the format option. I couldn't get it to install because it was unable to boot completely because of the driver problems (I'm assuming).

Thanks for all the help so far!
Computer Specs

29-May-2007, 12:17 AM #6
Would running Killdisk be a good idea? I'm just worried that I won't be able to install an OS after I run it if the graphics card is still not functioning. I guess if I get that far its time for a new graphics card then?
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

29-May-2007, 01:00 AM #7
well did you upgrade from XP or did you do a clean install of vista?... if you did a clean install you should'nt have a problem reinstalling it.
Computer Specs

29-May-2007, 01:15 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabem
well did you upgrade from XP or did you do a clean install of vista?... if you did a clean install you should'nt have a problem reinstalling it.
I technically still had XP still installed, but I didn't use an "upgrade" CD to install vista, I did the whole format thing to install, so I guess you would consider it to be a clean install?

Now, as the computer is, if I try to boot from the vista disk, it doesn't install all the way because its unable to restart the computer normally, because of the graphics. Does this mean I should use KillDisk first, and then install vista again? Or would this still leave me with graphic problems..?

Sorry to ask so many questions.
Computer Specs
Member with 61 posts.

29-May-2007, 11:54 AM #9
You might try reinstalling Vista using a different graphics card. If the windows vista install fails because of a graphics problem, it sounds like your hardware is at fault.
Computer Specs

29-May-2007, 10:01 PM #10
Ok I'll try it with a different graphics card...thanks for all the help!
Computer Specs
Member with 431 posts.

29-May-2007, 10:12 PM #11
"my computer won't start without the vertical lines" this sounds more like a hardware issue at the moment. Do you have any strange graphics problems when booting? When you pull out the Graphics card also check to see if any of the capacitors are leaking/cracked (a rust colored substance should be visible) or are bubbled out at the ends...
Computer Specs

29-May-2007, 10:15 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTzMADsKILLz
"my computer won't start without the vertical lines" this sounds more like a hardware issue at the moment. Do you have any strange graphics problems when booting? When you pull out the Graphics card also check to see if any of the capacitors are leaking/cracked (a rust colored substance should be visible) or are bubbled out at the ends...
I think it sounds like a hardware problem too...but I'm not sure just because it all started as soon as I installed vista and put the graphics card under load. I've heard of a few other people having similar problems but no one really knows how to fix it. I guess its possible that Vista just put my graphics card under more load than XP and caused it to overheat?

I tried pulling out and cleaning the graphics card, and nothing appeared to be wrong. No leaking that I can see.
Computer Specs
Member with 431 posts.

29-May-2007, 10:32 PM #13
hm. Then try the videocard swap to see if your system works fine after that if not then re-install of Vista, once done DL and install the latest videocard drivers from NVidia is about all I can suggest. Some hardware issues with Videocards aren't always visible but that blown caps is usually an easy sign.

Your vid card can take the load regardless of what OS you are using and I have yet to see software damage a system or videocard unless it somehow causes excessive thrashing of your Hard drive or overwrites your BIOS but those type of viruses haven't been seen in a long time.

I had some initial BSODs from the videocard drivers with this Vista x64 but the latest drivers have been fairly good now. See my sPECz below with driver versions.
Computer Specs

29-May-2007, 11:38 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTzMADsKILLz
hm. Then try the videocard swap to see if your system works fine after that if not then re-install of Vista, once done DL and install the latest videocard drivers from NVidia is about all I can suggest. Some hardware issues with Videocards aren't always visible but that blown caps is usually an easy sign.

Your vid card can take the load regardless of what OS you are using and I have yet to see software damage a system or videocard unless it somehow causes excessive thrashing of your Hard drive or overwrites your BIOS but those type of viruses haven't been seen in a long time.

I had some initial BSODs from the videocard drivers with this Vista x64 but the latest drivers have been fairly good now. See my sPECz below with driver versions.
The only problem is I don't have a spare video card lying around. I'll probably end up buying a cheap one or borrowing one from a friend to test.

I still have a slight bit of hope for my card though... see this thread: http://forum.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=226058 . It seems odd that we would both have the same problems soon after installing vista (even artifacts when the system POSTs). Now his card is up and working fine with XP.
Computer Specs
Member with 431 posts.

30-May-2007, 12:22 AM #15
Artifacts when the system posts (before Windows is even starting to load up) then it's related to the hardware and has nothing to do with Vista or any OS you choose to use.

You could always plug your card into his system as well and see what it does, provided it's compatible.

Of course it could also be a seating problem in the card slot, although if you've pulled it out and then plugged it back in and still have the same issues it sounds like that won't the cause.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!