Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Guide for installing XP / Win2k after Vista is installed

(!)

Member with 123 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Aug-2007, 01:52 PM #31
It works on HP vista pre-installed but not Dell. There for it is Dell related. On my Dell there are a number of preset partitions they use for Dell utilities and at end the recovery OS partition.

I suspect the HP set up is different thus the issue. Call Dell tech support and ask them how to do what you want to do!

That's all I can think of today!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

03-Aug-2007, 02:33 PM #32
I got a little hasty this morning and installed XP on the same partition as Vista thinking it would give me the boot option during startup. As we know, that didn't work so well. So my current situation is Vista in C:\WINDOWS and XP in C:\WINXP. Right now the machine (Lenovo 3000 N100) will only boot into XP. Any advice for a guy with no recovery disks (all on a recovery partition - lovely) trying to get a dual boot option at startup? TIA.
Member with 250 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Aug-2007, 03:21 PM #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by escalader
It works on HP vista pre-installed but not Dell. There for it is Dell related. On my Dell there are a number of preset partitions they use for Dell utilities and at end the recovery OS partition.

I suspect the HP set up is different thus the issue. Call Dell tech support and ask them how to do what you want to do!

That's all I can think of today!
Thanks. I'll do that.
Member with 250 posts.

03-Aug-2007, 03:29 PM #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adman
I got a little hasty this morning and installed XP on the same partition as Vista thinking it would give me the boot option during startup. As we know, that didn't work so well. So my current situation is Vista in C:\WINDOWS and XP in C:\WINXP. Right now the machine (Lenovo 3000 N100) will only boot into XP. Any advice for a guy with no recovery disks (all on a recovery partition - lovely) trying to get a dual boot option at startup? TIA.
Try using EasyBCD. It might sort things out for you. It's free. You'll find it at
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Aug-2007, 01:08 AM #35
i just bought a new laptop few days ago( acer travelmate 6291). this new laptop came out with windows vista. i facing a lot of problem using vista and try to remove vista and using winxp. i allready backup all my system into the dvd. i tried to try to install winxp but it does not work( cannot install at all).then i try to do system recovery using my backup dvd.the problem is , the recovery stuck at the half way of the recovery proses(could be my backup dvd damage).then i turn of the the laptop. now my system cannot reboot and there is an error( a disk read error occourred). ido not know how to do, even though i try to reboot using winxp cds.my friends say that acer travelmate 6291 did not recognize winxp and there is no other way to install xp or othr window/ os. please help

Last edited by arch79; 05-Aug-2007 at 01:31 AM..
Computer Specs

06-Aug-2007, 01:10 PM #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gswiss
Try using EasyBCD. It might sort things out for you. It's free. You'll find it at
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
I downloaded and installed EasyBCD. From what I've seen, it's a great little program. However, it hasn't resolved my issue. The following are configuration specs pulled from EasyBCD. Hopefully someone can give me some ideas based on this info. At this point I'd be happy just booting back into Vista so I can create a new partition and do this dual OS boot correctly. If I can get away with having both OSs (Vista and XP) on the same partition that's great, but how?!

When I try to click on the Configure Boot button in EasyBCD I get an error message stating Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'. Parameter name: Value.

I'm given an option to send a report, then a check box to Ignore the error and attempt to continue. Any attempt to continue doesn't get me to the Configure Boot screen.

EasyBCD Setting Overview screen:
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader TimeOut: 0 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {21ab7b7b-4443-11dc-9aa6-000fb0d3d4c4}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \ntldr

The following is the boot.ini retrieved from EasyBCD when I click on Tools->Legacy Entries:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,811 posts.

06-Aug-2007, 03:28 PM #37
you be best formatting the hard drive using the XP or VISTA cd and re-installing...
having 2 operating systems on the same partition/drive is dangerous and they wont work as its possible for each of the OS's haveing same file names and WinXP may have overwritten Vista files....
You will need to insert the Disc of the OS u wixh to have (XP I Believe cos u had problems with Vista that came on the machine and thats how all this started)
so insert XP then turn off laptop...then turn on and boot from CD (If you dont get the boot option then change the boot order in BIOS to DVDdrive to boot 1st - this settings is on by default usually so you should have no problems there really)
then when u get to the stage of which partition u want to install on ... delete the partition C: (or both if you want) then re-create it OR just go ahead and install on the RAW space (it will auto-create partition) U need to do this to gaurantee a format of that partition/space so your not installing XP over the top of the previous two versions....
if you delete the partition(s) then create whatever you like...(I usually have 2 C: and D:... )
then format the partition with NTFS(fast) then continue install
voila!
Member with 123 posts.

07-Aug-2007, 09:50 AM #38
Just a passing thought
As I read this thread (some of my own posts) can't help but feel it would be easier /better never to go down this track. Why is it happening? Because M$ and the PC vendors are forcing this OS (Vista) on us. So here are some ideas to toss about:

1) If your new pc comes with vista make sure it's HW specs exceed the minimums published by M$

2) If the new PC has vista after 1 is done, learn it and live with it. There was a link here on optimizing vista, so move your user data over and be done with XP (I use xp)

3) If you want XP as an option on the new PC get the sales/techi support to do it for you and prove it works to you before you leave the store.

4) If you must do step 3 yourself you are going to have to learn about partition management and image backups so don't even try untill that is done!

5) Maybe someone ( not me) will produce a single tested detailed step by step guide document on how to do it for every version of vista but I don't really think this will happen soon if ever. I prefer 1, 2 or 3 so we can get on with life and not work so much on Mr Gates problems!
Computer Specs

07-Aug-2007, 11:14 AM #39
I tend to agree with your post. However, in my case I'm helping my father-in-law put XP on his Vista notebook because he has to run an organic farming application and it only runs in the XP environment while Vista is the only OS available on new Windows-based computers. Nice touch, huh?

I'm just going to send the notebook to the regional repair facility for free re-imaging then follow the instructions on partitioning and installed a second OS for dual boot. I'm confident I can get it working correctly if I just take my time and follow directions (duh).
Member with 123 posts.

07-Aug-2007, 12:49 PM #40
Directions
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adman
I tend to agree with your post. However, in my case I'm helping my father-in-law put XP on his Vista notebook because he has to run an organic farming application and it only runs in the XP environment while Vista is the only OS available on new Windows-based computers. Nice touch, huh?

I'm just going to send the notebook to the regional repair facility for free re-imaging then follow the instructions on partitioning and installed a second OS for dual boot. I'm confident I can get it working correctly if I just take my time and follow directions (duh).
It's good you are confident. What tested directions will you follow though? That was one of my points if there is a proven set of directions for this add xp to vista version by version I don't know where to find them. Maybe the summary of this thread is those directions but it seems perilous if your father in laws business depends on success, ask the regional repair center if they can do it! and show it to be working! I'm worried on your behalf!
Member with 250 posts.

08-Aug-2007, 04:33 AM #41
Come on fellas, be optimistic. I used the process mentioned in message #6 above and it's working perfectly. Agreed, it's only been for the past two months or so, but so what. I've used it on several other pc's since and everybody's happy. It's only a bit tougher to install when you run into a Dell laptop.

Vista is really baloney.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

09-Aug-2007, 01:24 PM #42
i just got a gateway with vista home premium and a lot of the software from my desktop is does not want to install. so i tried to install win xp>>didnt work. i tried to duel boot using this site
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about88231.html
didnt workk.
then tried everything u guys said and it still wont work... the problem is that when entering the place where i could create delete etc a partition...it doesnt find ANY partitions. if no partitions then what to do?????
Member with 250 posts.

10-Aug-2007, 04:47 AM #43
Your disk is probably fully occupied with the Vista partition. You have to resize the partition down to 20 or 30 GB in order to free up space. You can use Acronis Disk Director Suite Version 10 - Build 2160 for that. It's Vista-compatible.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Aug-2007, 03:15 PM #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gswiss
I had no problem at all installing XP alongside a pre-installed Vista on my HP nc6320 laptop. On the other hand, I get stuck right from the start, when I try to do the same thing on a friend's Dell Inspiron 6400.

When I reach the point where XP installer asks where the XP partition should be located and I select an unallocated area (same problem appears even if I create and format an empty partition beforehand and select it), I get the following error message : “To install Windows XP on the selected partition, installation program must copy certain boot files on Disk 0 with ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]. However, this disk does not contain a partition compatible with Windows XP”.

I don’t know whether this has to do with the SATA disk. On the HP, I disabled SATA Native Support in the BIOS and everything went fine. In the Dell Bios, I found no equivalent option.

How can I create a “compatible partition” ?
Gswiss, did you manage to sort this problem out, or has any one else had a problem with a dell pc?

I have a dell dimension c521 with vista home premium but want to dual boot with xp pro sp2. Can any one help please?
Member with 250 posts.

10-Aug-2007, 03:41 PM #45
You'll probably not run into the same problem with a Dell Dimension. I was working on a Dell Inspiron notebook which had the Media Direct button. The corresponding feature is installed before Vista. When I switched its partition from primary to logical, things worked out.

Although by the same token the feature was lost, I installed the equivalent features under XP : PowerDVD and a CD/DVD burner program.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!