Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't open a CD of my XP Files on my Vista computer

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Jun-2007, 11:35 AM #1
Can't open a CD of my XP Files on my Vista computer
I have a new computer with Vista. I have files from my old computer (from XP) on a CD, but I cannot open this CD on this new computer with Vista on it. I have tried and tried. The CD will work on a friends XP computer. Can somebody help me ? I am no expert, can just do normal things on a computer, but am having a hard time on Vista. Thanks for your help.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 604 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jun-2007, 11:48 AM #2
What error are you getting when you open it?
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

20-Jun-2007, 03:41 PM #3
I don't get any error messages. When I install the CD with my pictures and files, a window pops up called "AutoPlay" There is a green moving that bar that is "Searching for content". This bar doesn't stop, like it is endlessly searching for content.

There are "picture options" below, like Import Pictures, View Pictures, Copy pictures, and then there are General Options to open folder to view files., which is the one I want the most.

But when I click on all of these options, nothing happens.

Its like it cannot read the CD.

This is what it does, and it doesn't change.

It's a new computer. Thanks for advice.
Member with 22,468 posts.

20-Jun-2007, 07:35 PM #4
What if you just cancel out of AutoPlay and use the Windows Explorer to look at what is on the CD.
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

21-Jun-2007, 05:02 PM #5
The windows explorer window is blank. but there are definite files on the CD. ??

21-Jun-2007, 05:09 PM #6
From your first post, it does appear that there are files on the CD since other computers can access them - "The CD will work on a friends XP computer."

Can you read any CD or is the problem with just this particular one?
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

22-Jun-2007, 04:28 PM #7
Good question. There are some CDs I have (other back up CDs) that show up, and the files are there on the Windows Explorer page. Some other CDs have the same problem "can't read the contents".

The CD I most want to open was also tested in front of me when I picked it up. Don't understand why my particular computer won't read this. Any suggestions? Thank you.

22-Jun-2007, 06:30 PM #8
If some CD's don't work on that particular CD ROM drive but work on other's, it may be the CD ROM drive itself.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Jun-2007, 08:41 PM #9
Bob is right it sounds like the cd drive is either dirty or defective. If you have a cleaner cd you could try running it through it, but it is almost the same price to buy a new drive as a cd cleaner so if you don't I would replace the drive...though before doing that re seat the cables and if you can, try another cable on it as well to rule out anything else.
Member with 17,584 posts.

22-Jun-2007, 08:54 PM #10
Unless packet writing software was used on "the XP computer" that created the CD, and not the native XP burning program?

22-Jun-2007, 09:08 PM #11
Are there any significant details for how the CD was made on the XP computer?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

23-Jun-2007, 02:15 PM #12
Try IsoBuster on the disk. If it was written using packet-writing software, it can probably read it.
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

25-Jun-2007, 11:15 AM #13
Hello,
The CD was made in attempt to save my old computer, they didn't but they gave me a CD of all the files on my computer.

Am wondering if there is possibly one thing on the CD that prevents it from opening up.... I could never know what that thing is....
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

25-Jun-2007, 11:17 AM #14
Also, as I said, my computer is brand new, and does read some CDS. with this one it "can't read content"
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

25-Jun-2007, 11:40 AM #15
Stop the Autoplay feature. Click Cancel or whatever. Then open My Computer, and instead of double-clicking on the drive, right-click and choose Open.

How was this CD burned? Using what software or what method? That's kind of important information here. There are no "XP" files that other operating systems can't read. Data is data. All that's needed is the correct application. The fact that you're able to view the files on another computer indicates something else is involved here that you're not telling us about.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!