Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

VISTA DRIVER FOR SIMPLEDRIVE (SimpleTech)

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Jul-2007, 11:56 AM #1
Question VISTA DRIVER FOR SIMPLEDRIVE (SimpleTech)
Does anyone know where I can locate a driver for the SimpleTech hard drive called "SimpleDrive External"? It worked great on XP, but when I transferred to my new VISTA compunter, VISTA does not recognize the device when plugged into the USB 2.0. VISTA attempts to check the driver and says the correct driver is installed, but it still does not recognize the device as a hard drive when plugged in. Any tricks to make VISTA recognize it if the driver is not the problem? One person said the hard drive must be reformatted to "NTFP" but this would erase all the data on the hard drive. I don't want to do that... Thanks.
Member with 38 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 12:08 PM #2
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2007, 12:19 PM #3
Will the Windwos 98 Driver they have listed work with VISTA? I see no VISTA drivers at that link... Thanks
Member with 38 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 02:15 PM #4
It should work, some others listed Win98/95 Only, but this one just said Win98, so it's not limited to just that version of windows...

Actually, all of them basically say Wi98/95, so it should work...
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2007, 06:28 PM #5
No Luck
I downloaded the driver, and VISTA refuses to install it... Thanks for your help in trying... I suspect the manufacturer will need to develop a driver...
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 07:48 PM #6
You don't need any drivers for USB mass storage for anything but W98.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,897 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Jul-2007, 09:45 PM #7
There are no drivers for Vista (or XP). They aren't needed. (At least they aren't for mine. I didn't install anything.

Courtney sends....
Computer Specs
Member with 13,935 posts.

06-Jul-2007, 12:02 AM #8
You know, this might be slightly OT for this thread but it is worthwhile mentioning. I installed Vista knowing full well I didn't have the drivers for my Canon pixma MP450 USB all in one printer.

I did a clean install and then put the printer disc in the tray and turned on the printer thinking I was going to have to grit my teeth and pray I could get the XP drivers to work. The found new hardware message came up and the OS installed the printer, scanner, copier, everything.

The only issues I have had with Vista is getting my crossfired cards to work with some of the Catalyst drivers. That isn't a Vista problem, that is an ATI/AMD problem. Vista has been almost too friendly at times. I am not used to not having to fight to compute.
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2007, 08:11 AM #9
Vista Recognition
Thanks for all the input, however, none of the posts explain why Windows XP automatically recognizes the hard drive when I plug it into the old computer, but VISTA does not recognize the device when I plug it into the new one. I thought maybe I had damaged it somehow during the move, but XP still recognizes it just fine when I plug it back in. I guess my only option is to see what the manufacturer says... which will probably be nothing... Does anybody know of a way to manually tell VISTA what kind of device it is?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

06-Jul-2007, 10:47 AM #10
Try this.

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

See if the USB drive is recognized after the reboots.
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2007, 03:08 PM #11
Wow, thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know....
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

31-Jul-2007, 10:29 PM #12
Clark,
I have the same problem with my SimpleDrive and Vista. Did you find out how to fix it. Pleas let me now.
Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Aug-2007, 05:09 PM #13
The info Johnwill gave worked for me..i made a thread about mine doing this exact same thing the other day and it works fine now
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!