Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: System Tray Icons Disappear Occasionally

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Jul-2007, 11:29 AM #1
Solved: System Tray Icons Disappear Occasionally
Hello, I'm running Windows Vista Home Edition 32 bit.
My problem seems to be similar to the one described here:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...stem-tray.html.
However, that problem does not appear to be resolved.

Sometimes, when I boot, my system tray is missing a number of icons, including Volume, Network, and Power (battery monitor for Sony Vaio laptop). When this happens, those icons are also grayed out in Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, the Notification Area tab. My clock always appears. Other icons are also missing from the tray, such as TeaTimer (from Spybot), the icon for my touchpad, and others. Only a few load, like Norton Anti-virus and AVG. If my icons are not there, then Windows Sidebar does not load either, and its icon does not appear.
This entire event has occurred on three separate occasions, spread out over a couple of days, and not on consecutive boots except once. This once, I rebooted after seeing the icons missing and ended up with a taskbar twice as tall as usual with only the clock in the tray, no icons on my desktop, and no sidebar. On the upper part of the desktop (not the taskbar) my mouse was a pointer, but on the taskbar it would turn into a rotating circle (the Vista equivalent of the hourglass). Clicking on the taskbar would bring up a popup whose exact text I do not remember (sorry), but something along the lines of the process not responding, and that if I waited it might respond eventually with the options to "End Process" or "Cancel". Any keystroke seemed to bring up that message, and so I held the power button to force a shut down. I started the computer and all was well (except the early DOS-esque screen informing me that Windows did not shut down properly last time). I can think of nothing special I have done in the sessions immediately before the missing icon startups.

Above there is a link to another thread. In that thread, the soundcard was mentioned. My soundcard is Realtek High Definition Audio.

Also, Elvandil suggested the following:

Quote:
Try going to Start > Run, and typing:

regsvr32 -u SndVolSSO.dll <Enter>
regsvr32 SndVolSSO.dll <Enter>
I tried this at the time my icons were missing and received the following error message after each command:
The module "SndVolSSO.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.
Make sure that "SndVolSSO.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

Out of curiosity, I ran those commands at the time of this post (with all my icons present), and received the same errors as before. It seems that I should be able to unregister the DLL now. In case it happened to do anything, I attempted to reregister it, but this got me the same error. This is an unrelated question, and I know nothing about this.
Sorry, I do not know what information would be helpful or necessary. If this is necessary, could someone provide a list of some useful tests I should perform or information I should gather next time this problem occurs?

Thank you in advance for your reply.
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Jul-2007, 02:04 PM #2
You may be able to sort out the problem by this:
right click the taskbar, then Properties
Click the Notification area tab
You can now see that the clock, for example, is always there.
Click the box "customise" , where it says "Hide inactive icons"
You will find you can alter the default properties of all the icons normally showing in the strip.
You could also untick the box "Hide inactive icons" which would mean the whole lot would always show.
Worth a try?
Computer Specs

08-Jul-2007, 02:25 PM #3
Once, when I had missing icons, I went to that menu. As far as I know, that menu does not control whether the Volume, Power, or Network icons appear, which was part of my problem. Also, when I checked the menu (when I lost icons), there were very few icons in the Current Items, and the usual lot of Past Items. Other icons (the ones I could not see in the systray but expected to be there) simply disappeared from list. There was no arrow on the side of the systray when my icons disappeared, which is usually the way icons are hidden.
However, I'll be sure to try your suggestion next time since it'd be a nice and easy fix.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,352 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jul-2007, 03:32 PM #4
how many processes you have at start up? if you have a lot. it will take a little longer for the programs to start

08-Jul-2007, 03:33 PM #5
Yes it does. The first window in the "Notification Area" tab shows a box which shows wether to hide or show the Clock: Volume: Network and Power (If you have a laptop). "Customise" will show all the remainder. ( In my case, 37 possible icons to show) I am not sure what you mean by "current items", or which "menu" you accessed?
Computer Specs

08-Jul-2007, 07:45 PM #6
I was in the Customize menu, and the "Hide inactive icons" check box only affects the icons in the Customize menu, not the system icons like Clock, Network, Volume, and Power. In the Customize menu, I see "Current Items" in blue with a horizontal blue line segment extending to the right. Under that, I see the items that are currently in my systray, both those hidden and those showing. Then, there is "Past Items" and a line segment, in the same format as the "Current Items" one.
I rebooted within the past hour and am now missing Network and Volume, but I have Clock and Power. If this is any help, I am connected to a network (I can use the internet through it, too) but I do not see the icon. I tried unchecking "Hide inactive icons", which showed all the icons that were once hidden behind the arrow, but it did not change which icons were in the systray. It's been at least 45 minutes since my computer started up, so I don't think the icons will show up later without a reboot.

09-Jul-2007, 12:32 AM #7
In the "Notification Area" window, under the "hide inactive icons" block, are four items, as I said. They are, on my computer, the Clock, Volume, Network and Power. These three items can be unchecked or checked.
In the "customize" window is a long list of items, all with three options. Hide, Show or hide when inactive. If the icons you wanr t are selcected as "show", then , on my computer, show they will. If, on the other hand, they are selected as "hide when inactive", then, with the "hide when inactive" box ticked, they will do just that. This works for me. Other than that, If you are still losing and getting icons at random, then it must be from another source.
Computer Specs

19-Jul-2007, 12:56 AM #8
My problem appears to have been resolved when I uninstalled AVG. It was loading at startup with a few other anti-virus programs (I had multiple running, though I'm not sure why I thought this necessary) and apparently conflicts between the programs messed up my startup. My suggestion to others who have the same problem, in case you chance upon this thread, is to disable nonessential startup programs, one at a time, until you find what is causing the problem.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

31-Aug-2007, 06:55 AM #9
I have the same problem but only with the power icon. Sometimes it appears sometimes it doesn't. Its not from the taskbar properties/ notification area/ customize since there the icon only appears in past items and i set it as always show.
Oh wait. I made a mistake. I have Windows XP Pro not Vista. And this forum is for Vista... well could smb help anyway? Thanks
There aren't any other icons that are missing except the power icon. What should i try?
Member with 4,910 posts.

31-Aug-2007, 09:29 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by milionline
I have the same problem but only with the power icon. Sometimes it appears sometimes it doesn't. Its not from the taskbar properties/ notification area/ customize since there the icon only appears in past items and i set it as always show.
Oh wait. I made a mistake. I have Windows XP Pro not Vista. And this forum is for Vista... well could smb help anyway? Thanks
There aren't any other icons that are missing except the power icon. What should i try?
Start Your Own Thread in "Xp Forum"

10-Sep-2007, 06:34 AM #11
Cool The Answer
Hey all,

I've got the solution...

In the notification area properties you'll notice an option to customize how explorer handles pevious tray icons. The only problem with this is explorer saves a setting for EVERY icon ever loaded.

For some reason if you clear this history of icons; the power, network, volume....icons will all reappear.

- brilliant i hear you say.

----------------------------------
CLEARING THE TRAY ICON HISTORY

> run 'regedit.exe'

> goto key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \TrayNotify'

> delete keys 'IconStreams' & 'PastIconsStream'

> start task manager, go to processes and kill explorer.exe

> go to applications in the task manager, hit new task and type 'explorer.exe'

> explorer will now reboot and woohey, your icons should return.

> crazy if you ask me.........

------

Also ive found some more detailed instructions with some pictures and shiny bits here if you can't follow me:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-windows-vista

------

MEEP MEEP
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2007, 01:12 AM #12
hey Perrelet, IT WORKS!

Brilliant !!!

29-Oct-2007, 12:30 PM #13
Smile Great Fix
I would have never known how to fix this problem. It does work! Thanks!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

06-Nov-2007, 08:28 AM #14
It does work. Thanks...

07-Nov-2007, 11:30 AM #15
I just registered to say thank you Perrelet. Thank you so much!!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!