Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dell + Vista = no WIRELESS

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Jul-2007, 09:14 PM #1
Dell + Vista = no WIRELESS
I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Windows Vista installed in it. I have had Wireless network in my house for the past year (using Westell Versalink 237W). However, this laptop is unable to detect any wireless connection. I have the modem right next to the computer, and the wireless switch is turned ON, but still no wireless.

The wireless router etc work perfectly. There is no interference from other devices (no microwave, no phone). Is there anyone who has had a similar problem? How do i get my Dell Inspiron with Vista to detect wireless????

I'll appreciate all your suggestions !!!
Junior Member with 16 posts.

13-Jul-2007, 08:38 PM #2
Hi

With wireless light activated, ( Fn + F2 ) Click start button and then Connect To.
Your wireless router should be indicated on the list of availably networks within range. Connect to required network. If your Laptop fails to automatically connect, right click appropriate network, -highlighted, and run through options available,
Properties-Security Codes etc. and Diagnose, for new IP address.
If your wireless connections is not listed, this router maybe faulty, or the wireless system on your laptop. Try with an alternative online router, range is approx 10-20 metres.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

14-Jul-2007, 11:09 AM #3
You might also try the laptop with another wireless network. Are there other computers using your wireless router and connecting wirelessly?
Account Closed with 195 posts.

16-Jul-2007, 03:07 PM #4
If the wireless switch is on, Fn+F2 has enabled the radio, and the card is showing up in Network Connections with no problems, then the problem is either the configuration for connecting to your network, the card, or the router.

If you have other wireless computers that are connecting to your router, check to see if there are any differences in configuration (SSID/Network Name, security settings, etc) between the two, and make sure MAC address filtering is off (or the MAC address of the wireless card is added to the router config if it is on). Checking this computer on another wireless network is also a very good idea.

If you are still having problems with the card, or have any Dell specific questions I will be more than happy to answer them.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Reasonably Advanced
16-Jul-2007, 08:02 PM #5
I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the WLAN card drivers. If the new laptop still doesn't pick up any wireless networks, whilst other laptops do, then this sounds to me like a hardware problem.

FBJ

Experience: Advanced
26-Jul-2007, 09:24 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellINSPIRON
I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Windows Vista installed in it. I have had Wireless network in my house for the past year (using Westell Versalink 237W). However, this laptop is unable to detect any wireless connection. I have the modem right next to the computer, and the wireless switch is turned ON, but still no wireless.

The wireless router etc work perfectly. There is no interference from other devices (no microwave, no phone). Is there anyone who has had a similar problem? How do i get my Dell Inspiron with Vista to detect wireless????

I'll appreciate all your suggestions !!!
Same issue here: Brand new Inspiron 1521 w/Vista Home on it. Linksys router and AP, both are working fine as my other DELL laptop runing XP as well as my wife's Mac have no trouble connecting. Even my cheapy $10 USB wireless reciever on a Win98 box find the network with no trouble. The frustration I have is that the Dell Wireless Configuration Ultility that shipped with this new laptop see's the network fine - shows a great signal. In fact, it picks up two more networks in the neighborhood just like my other PC's do.

Vista, OTOH, see's nothing, nada, zippo. Tried all of the Vista help recommendations (netsh settings to infrastructure, etc) and still nothing. Here's the kicker:

My D-Link router can see the Inspiron 1521's MAC address! And still Vista see's nothing. I'll admit I'm new to Vista but I'm not new to wireless networking, this has me stumped and PO'd. Tried adding the network manually and still nothing. It isn't a card problem, it's a Vista problem, or maybe a DELL/Vista problem.

UPDATE: Spent two hours on the phone with DELL tech support last night - a total waste of time. There recommendation was that my access point was the problem. Hmmm... I have no trouble connecting with three other PC's (XP, W2K and even Win98) + a Macbook. If Vista is this crappy out of the box, maybe instead of upgrading my access point I should wipe Vista off and install XP!

Last edited by Ricklandia; 27-Jul-2007 at 12:32 PM..

02-Aug-2007, 05:13 AM #7
Same Problem
I also have exactly the same problem. My dad on another laptop (windows XP) has no problem locating the router but for some reason y laptop does. I have even tried connecting too the router with a cable but the connection can still not be found. I think this is a Vista problem although it could also be a dell problem. If anybody has a dell on vista with which they have had no problem connecting to a network which previously existed id be delighted too here from you.

Thanks

07-Aug-2007, 09:15 PM #8
Wireless N Card
I have a Inspiron 1521. When I tried to connect got same problem as others unable to see access point. My problem was that the 1521 came with an N wireless card and I had a G type router. I had old usb g device and was able to connect. Took laptop to site that had an N router and was able to see the access points. No real help when I talked to Dell they said access point was problem.
Computer Specs

11-Aug-2007, 07:36 PM #9
Dell Vista with wireless Verizon FIOS - daily unplug and replug wireless
I just got a new Dell Inspiron 1520 with wireless. My previous laptop with windows xp is sitting right next to this Dell while I get the new laptop set up. My problem is that daily the Vista either loses the wireless connection entirely or has a very low connection rate so e-mails don't go through. My other laptop (with XP) shows the wireless is working fine.

In order to get the Vista to find the wireless connection I have to unplug the router, wait, and then replug. Then I have to restart my laptop. If the Vista shows that the connection is "local only" when I search for a wireless connection, my secure home wireless connection is not even on the list. The only way to connect is to restart the vista laptop.

Is this a Dell Vista problem or a Verizon FIOS problem. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Senior Member with 167 posts.

11-Aug-2007, 11:04 PM #10
something that worked for me was installing the software from your wireless router in the vista machine. since i did that ive not had a problem getting on wireless anywhere. its worth a shot.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

14-Aug-2007, 09:35 AM #11
Same problem here : brand new Dell desktop with built in wireless card. Vista detects my mac-adress-protected network but doesnt find internet !! I tried everything HELP PLZ! HELP ME ELIMINATE VISTA ON MY COMPUTER !

THe thing is that i tried installing Xp but when i boot from the cd, my bios doent recognize my usb keyboard. I dont have a ps2 port nor bios option to turn legacy usb keyboard ON.
What can I do to bring back XP ?

THx

16-Aug-2007, 08:28 AM #12
Dell/Vista w/Linksys solution
In my case I have Dell + Vista with a Linksys router using WPA-Personal. Like many others, the wireless card saw every other network in my neighborhood but my own.

That is until I checked that little box in my network profile that allowed the computer to connect even if the network is "not broadcasting" (and ominously warns of privacy issues if the option is selected). This may sound silly but being a Vista newbie and more accustomed with XP and its predecessors I had never encountered this option before.

Since I don't broadcast my SSID, this proved to be the source of the problem and now all is well.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

17-Sep-2007, 09:43 PM #13
I have a similar problem but I lose my connection and visibility to all networks after I have been connected. I can be on my network with no problems for days and then all of a sudden all of the networks disappear. cycling the radio on and off does nothing, I have to re-boot my computer. After the reboot I can be good for a few minutes, a few days or even weeks before it happens again.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1405 with Vista Home Premium and a D-Link router.

Any thoughts?

Rob
Junior Member with 5 posts.

19-Sep-2007, 03:49 PM #14
Angry Dell 1501 + Vista = No wireless
I to have the exact same problem.
Dell Inspiron 1501, Vista Home Prem. AMD Dual Core 1.6Mhz etc...
All Ok but the wireless it's very intermittant. It either doesn't work or is trying to work.
The only way I can get it to work is making the network unsecure.
The WLAN Card Utility says there is a problem with the cards interal memory. The dell website is useless.
Reinstalled Vista and the drivers to no avail.
Have tested on three routers now (Zyxel, Linksys, D-link) , all only work when unsecure. Pulling out hair. Any help would be great.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

19-Sep-2007, 03:55 PM #15
I run my network un-secure and do not broadcast the SSID. I have the problem regardless.

Rob
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!