Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: How to format a hard drive with Vista and install XP?

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

17-Jul-2007, 12:15 PM #1
Solved: How to format a hard drive with Vista and install XP?
Hi all,

I recently bought an Inspiron 1405 which has Vista installed on it. I would like to uninstall vista and install xp. So I inserted the XP CD into the drive and changed the bios so that computer boots up from CD.

It boots up from XP CD and goes to the blue screen and starts
loading the necessary files to start the installation.

Then after done with loading, it shows that famous blue screen: "Windows has encountered an error message and has to shut down otherwise it will harm your computer. If this is your first time, restart your pc and if it's not your first time them you have some devices which are not compatible, disable things blah blah".... So I never get to that point where it asks me to format or repair windows...

And when I restart the computer, ir either boots up from the CD again and comes to the same screen or it shows that Windows Repair wizard.

Please let me know how I should fix this problem so I can install XP...

Thanks in advance
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
17-Jul-2007, 12:44 PM #2
Boot from the XP CD and remove the partitions when the option appears. Create new one(s), format, install.

17-Jul-2007, 01:33 PM #3
Thanks but as I mentioned in my previous post, it boots up from the XP CD and then starts loading the files and JUST before it goes to that repair, format screen, partitions, it errors (one of those STOP 0x000000 numbers), so my question here how to fix this error so it lets me proceed with download...
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
17-Jul-2007, 03:56 PM #4
Do you have a floppy drive? If you do, try booting from a Win98 Boot Floppy, running fdosk at the prompt, and removing all partitions. then try booting up the XP CD again.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 23 posts.

Experience: Sort of and Sort Of
18-Jul-2007, 04:16 AM #5
Not sure mate, Never had that problem before. I did have an issue in where I installed Vista and then tried to re-install XP but the Bootup showed the Blue Screen and nothing happened after that.

I discovered that by holding the delete button after the Bios area that it booted from the CD and started loading the files. I was suprised at that but it did take me atleast 1hrs to figure that out.

I am not saying that this is what you must do but there must be an answer to the 000000's problem mate. Wish I could help.

Sean
Old Rich has a Photo Album
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
18-Jul-2007, 04:35 AM #6
Your XP install disc may not have the SATA drivers for your board. See this for help installing on SATA drives.

Or you can try this alternate for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "sata operation" setting, change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP

Microsoft MCCA 2012

18-Jul-2007, 08:40 AM #7
Thanks for all your replies, specially simpswr, thanks to you for the great tip.

Last night I was able to remove Vista and install XP. Found out that the problem was the XP CD, it wasn't made by Dell! It's funny, but using a Dell XP solved my problem!
Old Rich has a Photo Album
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
18-Jul-2007, 09:17 AM #8
Well done . .

18-Jul-2007, 09:22 AM #9
Thanks simpswr
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 604 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jul-2007, 09:53 AM #10
**You can mark this thread as Solved using the Thread Tools on the top of this post**

18-Jul-2007, 01:54 PM #11
I just did, thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!