Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

"System Event Notification Service" meltdown

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jul-2007, 09:58 AM #1
"System Event Notification Service" meltdown
My 6-week-old Dell running Vista Home Basic suddenly gives me the following error message on startup: "Failed to connect to a Windows service: Could not connect to System Event Notification Service." Among other things, this prevents me from connecting to my wireless network, so I can't get on-line. It also prevents several programs within Kaspersky Internet Security from starting. Rebooting doesn't help. And the problem occurs regardless of whether I sign on as administrator or as general user.

More: I can't access the Windows Help & Support pages. And I'm told to "see System Events log" for details, but when I try, it says "Event Log Service is unavailable." When I try System Restore, it says "back-up hasn't been set up." (Aren't restore points set automatically?)

Please help!
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jul-2007, 10:58 AM #2
I have a family member who had the same problem. He came up with 2 solutions. One is not to logon to quickly to your user account - make sure the HD activity is complete. The other was to disable the Windows defender.
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2007, 11:41 AM #3
Thanks for this. Unfortunately, disabling W Defender didn't solve the problem.

31-Jul-2007, 05:41 AM #4
You do have the service enabled and on automatic?
Computer Specs

31-Jul-2007, 08:43 AM #5
Well, I certainly never *dis*abled it, and the system was working fine up until a couple of days ago. But perhaps I should check. How do I do that?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 604 posts.

31-Jul-2007, 08:50 AM #6
Click on Start, then type Services and press enter
Click continue if prompted with UAC
Then scroll down in the Services and look for Windows Defender
Computer Specs

31-Jul-2007, 09:03 AM #7
kama64: I'm a little confused. Why would I be looking for Windows Defender? I disabled that in the hopes of solving my original problem. When the preceding message asked if I had "the service" enabled, I assumed that referred to System Event Notification Service. In any case, that's what I had in mind when I asked how to check. Thanks.

31-Jul-2007, 10:53 PM #8
I,ll bet your confused!!
In the RUN box, type Services.msc
There you will find a list of all running srvces. You will find you can change any of these to disabled, automatic or manual.
As this is obviously one of your familiar areas, don't alter any except a perusal of the one I mentioned!!
Member with 69 posts.

Experience: Never too simple
10-Aug-2007, 04:38 PM #9
Hey Akak, I am in exactly the same predicament. How did you solve this problem please ?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

11-Jul-2008, 02:54 PM #10
Fix for System Event Notification Service
This happened to me when I was trying to install Trend Micro internet security 2008 on my father-in-law's PC. No access to internet - no system restore = nada. I was almost certain that I'd bricked my father-in-law's PC. I'd just updated his pc to Vista SP 1 so there were a lot of variables in play. I tried a lot of things including the MS Installer Clean-up and removing Trend Mcro drivers and artifacts from the registry, the hardware manager(hidden devices) and file system to no avail.
I googled an item which indicated that using an elevated command prompt and typing "NETSH WINSOCK RESET CATALOG" minus the quotes and tried it. Amazingly, it cleared the problem. This command resets WINSOCK settings to default and any programs which use their own WINSOCK LSPs need to be re-installed but it allowed me to connect to the internet, access system restore and rollback to a previous restore point which avoided the world of hurt that I was in. Posted in the hope that it might aid another in a similar siuation.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

12-Sep-2008, 11:13 PM #11
thanks, cliff. your fix was the only thing that worked for me. this gave me quite as scare. i've been considering switching to ubuntu for a long time. this might be the last straw.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

12-Sep-2008, 11:43 PM #12
system event notification meltdown
Hi
Glad it helped....Linux is a drastic step - I had it on my eee pc and it worked well but there wasn't a lot of really decent software - openoffice is neat but ms office is so complete that once you've used it for a while, it is a habit that is hard to break - i'm so far from being a Micro$oft fan but having experienced the driver situation in linux first hand, i'd never migrate a windoze pc to linux because of it - a new desktop pc or a server that i'd built with linux in mind yes because i'd buy only linux supported hardware - there is a lot of neat linux based stuff out there Cliff
Junior Member with 1 posts.

13-Sep-2008, 03:54 PM #13
Cliff, Thanks, I had the same problem and your suggestion fixed. GREAT!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!