Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Bootmgr is Missing & recovery manager doesn't work

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

04-Aug-2007, 04:39 PM #1
Question Bootmgr is Missing & recovery manager doesn't work
Ok so I have seen this bootmgr problem posted all over the Internet, but there are very few solutions and most of the solutions will not work for me, so any help would be amazing. My system is an HP Pavilion Notebook dv6500t.

Intel Core2 Duo processor T7300 (2.00 GHz & 4 MB L2 Cache)
2GB DDR2 (2 Dimm)
383MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M
160GB 5400RPM Hard Drive

from what I can tell it has a small 2gb recovery hard drive to run vista's recovery manager off of instead of using a restore disc. HP sent me no Vista discs or system restore discs.

So the problem is when I start up my computer I get a black screen and a message saying:

"bootmgr is missing press ctrl + alt + delete to restart"

When I restart I get the same message. I tried opening up the system restore menu that is built in, and starting a full restore to its original factory condition but as soon as it starts reformatting the hard drive I get a message that says:

"Error 0x4001001300001002. If this issue continues, please contact HP support."

And of course I contacted HP support which was a waste of about 3 hours of my life and nothing got resolved. I have done numerous hard disc diagnostics tests and they all come up clear. I have also tried using the command prompt to copy the bootmgr file and folder to my other drives but had no success.

So If anyone can help me I have only had my laptop for 2 weeks and am desperate for some answers. Anything would be much appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,242 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Aug-2007, 05:54 PM #2
Call HP and get an Engineer to your house (or send Laptop to HP) to get fixed. You have that right to get it fixed as it should be covered by their support. And insist on it, don't go through their so called fix procedures again...!

04-Aug-2007, 08:14 PM #3
ya i tried the online support / instant message deal and they said they are going to send me a box to ship the laptop back to one of their facilities to have it looked at. Which totaly blows, but it looks like my only option at this point.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

18-Aug-2007, 10:36 AM #4
I Have The Same Problem!
hey god willing
i have the same problem
and i have the exact same comp spec as urs except i have 120g instead of a 160g hardddive
so did u get ur laptop fixed by send it in?
please reply back
i only had it for a day..
thank u a million!

22-Aug-2007, 03:31 PM #5
Ya I sent it in. It took about 2 days to get the box for shipping and another 4 or 5 days to get it back. It works again, basically they just re-imaged the hard drive and gave me a note saying "this problem may re-occur." But it is fixed, and I'm crossing my fingers it wont happen again. To get the box I just asked an hp support guy using their on-line chat.
Computer Specs

Experience: Intermediate
27-Aug-2007, 03:37 PM #6
Error 0x4001001300001002 Bootmgr is missing and recovery mgr does not work
This has happened to me also after a little over 2 weeks of receiving my brand new laptop. I contacted HP and had the unit built. I received the unit 1 day prior to the ETA. I was very pleased. Now after 2 weeks and thinking I had done something wrong . . . I contacted HP tech support to assist me after running the System Recovery DVD that accompanied the unit. I attempted the system recovery without having to make that phone call, but it became necessary after running the recovery several times and finally receiving error 0x4001001300001002 If this issue continues, please contact HP support. HP tech support tried a few diagnostic steps with me only to conclude that the unit will have to be shipped to their repair depot. I attempted to locate a local ASP (authorized service provider), but I am unable to locate one and then I found your comments and this website only to determine this error is not caused by something I did. I am forced to wait on a box even after telling them I have the original box and shipping materials the unit arrived in and that I only require a shipping label or FedX account number to ship the unit to the repair facility TODAY to avoid loosing repair time waiting on a box to arrive. I am very angry about this after spending $1900.00 for this laptop. I am not new to this since I have worked in the computer sales and service industry for over 10 years. I am very familiar with how manufacturer depot repairs work. This is obviously a design flaw and a service advisory needs to be posted. Customers should be made aware of this and HP should be proactive at attempting to resolve this apparent problem! I await a box that should arrive in 1 to 2 days. I definitely will be providing some feedback to HP about this.

30-Aug-2007, 08:34 PM #7
From what I can tell from reading other tech forums is this problem is been known to happen on other brands of computer as well. It has something to do with compatibility problems your computer has with vista, and vista's ability to confuse the partitions on your computers thus loosing track of where your boot manager is. I thought it had something to do with my little 2 gig built in drive I have for recovering my computer but I am not really sure.
Computer Specs

09-Oct-2007, 06:33 PM #8
Hello
Im new here and the only reason i am here is because the highly glitchy windows vista
yea, that right i have the same problem as you,
I get a black screen and a message saying:

"bootmgr is missing press ctrl + alt + delete to restart"

so i press ctrl + Alt + delete and it just keeps going and going.

i tried everything to fix my laptop only had it for about 1 month and not this ... oh well i can wait a week to get it fixed..

Anyways i was wondering if you could provide me with a link to the online support to get a box to ship my laptop to hp. and it would be helpful to get a canadian address for shipping since im from canada A quick reply would be really helpful

i guess for now ill have to use my 80GB Desktop with xp installed on it
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

12-Oct-2007, 07:19 PM #9
error 0x400.....
Hello I have the same problem and totally disappointed with this purchase I made, if I woulda known, I woulda have bought windows xp, anyways, is there any other way to fix this problem rather than contacting those endless calls at hp tech guys? If I buy any other op. system, lets say windows xp, would it work even if I dont get the box from the hp experts? Please help me out...
Computer Specs

12-Oct-2007, 08:28 PM #10
"Bump!"
Computer Specs
Member with 1,242 posts.

13-Oct-2007, 04:47 AM #11
If you had XP and onloy had a restore disc, you would be in exactly the same situation. Ideally boot off a Live Linux CD, backup your data and use the restore disc to get it working again. Then once its set up use another backup program to backup your system so its less hassle to fix next time.
Ideally, I like getting computers where you get an OS disc and not a restricted restore disc. Independant retailers are better persoanlly.
Computer Specs

13-Oct-2007, 03:39 PM #12
windows vista
Thanks peter for your answer, but the problem is that I dont have any disc , what you are telling me, is to buy a Live Linux CD? And with this disc the problem will be solved? and if so, where can I buy this disc? best buy?

15-Feb-2008, 05:42 AM #13
I know the thread is a little old but just wanted to put my two pennies worth in....

I had exact same problem yesterday on my HP dv6000. I tried installing a WinTV card and I had the blue screen of death. After trying unsuccessfully to fix it, I decided to restore the PC to factory settings. I started Recovery Manager and I had the pop up error "Error 0x4001001300001002. If this issue continues, please contact HP support.". Then on restart I had the "bootmgr is missing press ctrl + alt + delete to restart". I have a Recovery CD I made before but that also did not work!

So I called HP and they answered quite quickly. They will send me a Recovery CD in the post. It can take 7 to 10 days though.

They said that I may have a problem with files on the recovery partition. Funnily enough this reminded me, when I made the Recovery CD I got an errorduring the process, but when I called HP at the time they said that should be fine! Obviously I wouldn't know if its Ok until I tried it, which is now. Lucky I am still in Warranty, I wonder what would happen in a couple of years from now.

So basically I think the Recovery files on my recovery partition have a problem. I suppose when I get the Recovery CD I may as well delete this partition and use the 7Gb space it is taking up!

P.S. As per peterh40's post... In the past when I had a problem like this on a different laptop (Toshiba), installing Linux to get my files was the only way I could do it as Toshiba said if I sent it back to them they wont get the files and would wipe the drive! So I found this to be the only way, but you will have to learn how to install and use Linux which could be another tricky task for you!
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

15-Feb-2008, 05:12 PM #14
Unfortunately you all are paying the price for HP to make money and not give you a Windows cd. Main reason for buying a local build or having your own built these days and you all are proving it.
http://members.rushmore.com/~jsky/id39.html

14-Apr-2008, 01:44 PM #15
Surely, This Recovery Really Works!
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/ (120 MB)
JUST DOWNLOAD THIS ISO FILE AND BURN IT USING NERO.; THIS WILL SOLVE YOUR STARTUP PROBLEMS WITH "BOOTMGR MISSING".

I'VE GOT THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY (HP PAVILLION DV6000 SERIES) AND THIS HELPS ME TO REPAIR THE VISTA OS EVEN WITHOUT ACCESS TO THE BUILT-IN RECOVERY MANAGER OR FORMATTING THE HARDISK.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!