Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Blank Screen When Starting Windows

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: beginnier - intermediate
13-Aug-2007, 11:13 AM #1
Blank Screen When Starting Windows
I've been running windows vista for 3-4 weeks now but now it has gone terribly wrong

When I turn on my computer I get a blank, black screen

I've turned my computer off many times by holding the power button down to make the beginning menu give me an option of whether I want to run windows in safe mode or normally when I turn the computer back on

I have chosen all of the different modes of booting windows (like safe mode) but after I select to start windows I just get shown a blank screen

I know there is not a fault with my vga cable that is connecting my pc to my tv nor my graphics card because I can see the options at the beginning menu and can also see the vista 'loading bar' at the bottom of the screen when I initially turn my pc on.

My LCD screen that is hooked up to my computer occasionally shows a blank screen when my wireless keyboard doesn't get used for a while or doesn't work but this cannot be the problem because the keyboard works when I select the option for trying to start windows.

My hard drive is the primary device on which to boot from and I have no idea if windows does start properly and I just cannot see the interface

The beginning menu that I talk about, I can only use a keyboard and it has the colour scheme of windows command prompt

Forgive me if I do not use the proper terms but I have not encountered a problem like this before
Senior Member with 548 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Aug-2007, 12:31 PM #2
If you're patient with it, does it eventually load fully? Vista can give a disconcerting black screen during boot - sometimes for a couple of minutes - after which it finishes loading happily and all is well. If you believe it may be a graphics driver issue, select Safe Mode and be patient.
Computer Specs

13-Aug-2007, 03:24 PM #3
I can't be sure that I have waited for a long time, but I have left the room without considering whether I turned the PC off or whether I left it on the black screen.

I will try leaving the PC on for a while

But I can't figure out what could have caused this problem

Approximately, 12 hours before I turned the computer back on, I left it on to do some downloading (not much) The PC was displaying everything perfectly

I left the computer to turn itself off and it should've after at the most a couple of hours
Computer Specs

13-Aug-2007, 05:15 PM #4
I've left the PC on for about an hour and windows has not seemed to load

I cannot hear any noises from messenger when it automatically signs in, or anything else so I think that windows is not loading at all
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,268 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Aug-2007, 07:32 PM #5
Have you tried a different monitor?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Aug-2007, 07:44 PM #6
I put mine to sleep and it did the same thing,i pull the plug from the wall outlet and let it sit for a while then put the plug back in and started it back up.It is working fine now.
Computer Specs

14-Aug-2007, 10:49 AM #7
I hsve tried a different monitor and I am definetely sure that it is not the monitor or the connection that is causing the problem

I'll try completely disconnecting the computer at both ends of the connection
Computer Specs

14-Aug-2007, 11:53 AM #8
I've tried completely disconnecting my computer and my TV at both ends but there was no difference

I was going to try booting the PC off an open-source ubuntu CD in safe mode

But I think I got rid of this CD when I succesfully installed Vista

Can anyone recommend a site where I can download the files and put them on a CD?

Doesn't have to be Ubuntu, I suppose it could be windows
Member with 46 posts.

15-Aug-2007, 05:23 AM #9
hi ive got a similar problem - but i use a password so i know it loads up just has a blank screen - ig you press ctrl/alt/del do you get the system to respond if you do goto start task manager then click file/new task then browse to explorer.exe in your windows file on c drive then press enter

if in doing this does your windows now return?

if it does you have the same problem as me - explorer.exe crashes during boot im trying to figure out how to re-install this file and all its registry entries atm.
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2007, 07:12 AM #10
Nothing responds if i click anything

But at the moment I seem to have Ubuntu working on the same computer in safe mode using some files that I downloaded off the web and burnt onto a CD

I will try to install Ubuntu properly and then try to reinstall windows vista using a cd that I have with the setup on

(It might work)
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2007, 08:57 AM #11
Go to my new thread to find out about my new problem with trying to install vista on Ubuntu

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...ml#post5016143

Yet another snag in the attempt to get my copy of Windows Vista back
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
15-Aug-2007, 11:02 AM #12
You say you have chosen all of the different modes of "starting" windows -- but you haven't mentioned accessing the "repair" boot menu.

There you can try a "startup repair", or a "system restore" or run the memory checker.

For example if you choose "system restore", does it run?

If you have a Vista DVD or have access to one, here is a link you should study carefully.

You may well have a problem with the master boot record and running the repair or rebuild commands described here may work for you.

You should also try running chkdsk /r from a command prompt:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2007, 04:08 PM #13
Thank you for all of your suggestions regarding this problem

I have figured out that it was a problem with Windows Vista and windows could not load at all causing the black screen

I have now eventually installed Ubuntu and it is working well

But I still want to re-install Vista on my computer

Look at the link on my last post on this discussion to read my other thread regarding the installation of Vista on the 'Feisty' Ubuntu operating system

Thank you again
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!