Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: ..failed because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Aug-2007, 04:40 PM #1
Solved: ..failed because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect
This is kind of a pain. I can't find anyone out there except some C++ programmers that really talk about this problem. I have Vista Ultimate, 2 gigs of ram, 2 video cards in SLI, 2.4ghz X2 processor. All of my games and programs work, with the exception of BioShock, and now my windows update. I downloaded the demo yesterday from Steam, and got this messege

the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more details

I thought this was a problem with the Steam download, so I went ahead and purchased the full game of BioShock. Got the same messege. I am really at my wits end. I have been at this since 10am and have gone nowhere... Thank you in advance.
Junior Member with 4 posts.

23-Aug-2007, 04:05 AM #2
I have exact same problem with one of my PC's that has Vista Business edition when starting up the Bioshock PC demo. On another PC running Vists Ultimate - the demo starts correctly. Like you, I could only find reference to this 'side-by-side' configuration with technical stuff about Visual C++.
I looked at the event viewer and didn't find it very helpful but seemed to mention some sort of 'activation key' error.

I am waiting for the full game in the hope that a full installation rather than the demo will sort it out.
Was your problem with the demo also?
I'd be very intersted in a solution if you find one.

23-Aug-2007, 04:20 AM #3
I found another forum that AVG (my anti virus program) might be the problem so am uninstalling this and trying again.
Are you using AVG?
Member with 759 posts.

23-Aug-2007, 07:42 AM #4
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/search.php?
Some say to install the 2005 C++ redistributable, others offer other fixes, anyway, that's the place to search for answers.

23-Aug-2007, 09:10 AM #5
Thanks for the suggestion. Uninstalling AVG failed to help despite a reinstallation. I've run the VCRedist file that was in the Bioshock demo folder and also a later version and no luck even after a reboot.
I'll follow your suggestions in the forums

23-Aug-2007, 09:59 AM #6
Solution!

I uninstalled AVG first (not sure if really necessary)
Uninstall VC++ redistributable in control panel - programs and features (If 2 copies, uninstall both)
Reboot
Reinstall the VCredist package that is in the Bioshock pc demo folder/vr dist
Reboot
Voila!

Hope this works for others
Computer Specs

23-Aug-2007, 12:26 PM #7
I uninstalled the AVG. Tried to uninstall VC++ redistributable in control panel, but there was no listing by that name. I reinstalled the game again. Needless to say, it didn't work. Thank you very much jonbrewerton, I know I must be getting close. I am glad you are able to run the game, supposed to be fantastic.
Computer Specs

23-Aug-2007, 12:34 PM #8
Also, I get an error code when trying to install VCredist. It simply won't install. I guess that is my problem. Anyone know how to fix this?
Computer Specs

23-Aug-2007, 02:45 PM #9
Got it! After looking at your problem with the VC++ redistributable. I looked in my registry and found nothing to delete. I fixed a problem in the Windows Update files by deleting all of them. Went to Windows Update, and the 8 items that were not installing finally installed. I deleted BioShock, and rebooted. After the system was up and running, I installed BioShock without a hitch, and it is one great game so far. Oh, I also deleted AVG. THANK YOU!!!!!
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 604 posts.

23-Aug-2007, 03:19 PM #10
**You can mark this thread as Solved using the Thread Tools on the top of this post**
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

08-Oct-2007, 01:13 PM #11
I'm having the exact same problems as you are, I've tried installing the VC++ redistributable, but it comes up with an error, I uninstalled AVG a while ago, and I can't find the windows update files to delete them. Can you tell me what else I need to do and where to find the Windows Update files?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!