Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows Explorer in Vista keeps shutting down & restarting over and over

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
24-Aug-2007, 11:30 AM #1
Windows Explorer in Vista keeps shutting down & restarting over and over
Hi all, please please please, can somebody help?

I've been trying to sort out this problem for the last nine hours, but with no success...

Each time I turn on my computer, I receive an error message "Windows Explorer has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution." There is no code with it. Windows Explorer will then restart immediately and within 2 or 3 seconds will immediately go back to the error message again and go back through the cycle. This will happen for up to ten minutes solidly before the desktop icons and bottom page Start and Menu Bar vanish completely leaving only my desktop background visible.

While it stops and restarts I cannot access any of my programmes nor get into Control Panel to see if a new programme has been installed. I've only managed to get onto Internet Explorer now because I managed to beat the first error window the last time I rebooted.

In my previous rebott I have run AVG, Spybot Search & Destroy, McAfee and Windows scans for viruses etc. These produced lots of spyware cookies and adware cookies which are now removed, and also two Trojan Horses - Trojan.wimad.a programmes.

Although I've quarantined these programmes and removed the bad cookies the problem is still occurring.

I do not know if this helps at all, but the usual windows shield (bottom right hand corner where the clock is) is duplicated with one flashing to a blue shield with exclamation mark continuously. While the Windows Explorer keeps rebooting there will occasionally be a bubble appearing from the flashing shield which seems full of gobbledygook. When I wave the cursor over that shield there is no explanation like there is over the windows shield - so I think this may be one of the causes for the issue.

Also, on two occasions the Internet Explorer has launched itself automatically and opened on a web page selling spyware protection. I've not done anything with this page other than close it.

Can anybody help me? I really need to get an email sent off from my Outlook for work, but cannot access it while this is going on...

Thank you,

A Computer Illiterate, Tuirenn.
AgentDuncan38 AgentDuncan38 is offline AgentDuncan38 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Aug-2007, 06:38 PM #2
Problem
Sounds like you still might have a trojan in there somewhere.Try to boot in safe mode and if possible get on-line and get some freeware to get rid of the trojan.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

27-Aug-2007, 08:53 AM #3
Tuirenn I am actually experienceing the same problem with my laptop as of August 25, 2007. I scanned my computer and I have no problems with it so I also really do not know what the problem could be. But I may be able to help u with your Outlook E-Mail, if u run the task manager, by pressing the Control+ Alt+ Delete all at the same time, u can run applications, while the Windows Explorer problem keeps rebooting, by starting a new task and selecting the Out Look application. it should work cuzz it worked for me. Thats all I got for help.
But can somebody anybody please help me and Tuirenn try to resolve this problem on our computers?

27-Aug-2007, 12:08 PM #4
I have the same problem, only there's no spyware activity. I've done system scans and they haven't really turned up anything, but based on the processes running in task manager, I think my problem has something to do with dllhost.exe or csrss.exe. I got to control panel via task manager and it doesn't show anything suspicious as far as installed programs go... I do know that the problem started when my brother tried to play a movie and installed an activex control online.

here's my hijack this:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:36:21 AM, on 8/27/2007
Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\AIM Pro\aimpro.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe
C:\Program Files\Ares\Ares.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Yahoo! Music Jukebox\ymetray.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Windows\explorer.exe
C:\Windows\system32\WerFault.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AIMPro] "C:\Program Files\AIM\AIM Pro\aimpro.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ares] "C:\Program Files\Ares\Ares.exe" -h
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: ymetray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Yahoo! Music Jukebox\ymetray.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/ge...sh/swflash.cab
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: amaretti - {2fdde73c-273e-4e55-84dc-455de06e4866} - C:\Windows\system32\zdwii.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ares Chatroom server (AresChatServer) - Ares Development Group - C:\Program Files\Ares\chatServer.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

--
End of file - 4546 bytes

The problem also occurs in safe mode.

Thanks,
MagnusDeus

Experience: Advanced
03-Sep-2007, 12:21 AM #5
I am having same problem. Please advise if you find any solution. I have also tried AVG spyware without any luck.

08-Oct-2007, 08:53 AM #6
Windows Explorer Closing
Found this on the internet

The only goal here is to remove a trojan that installed itself on the computer. It can be accessed from the Add/Remove programs list, but the only problem is explorer keeps restating and you can’t open the windows fast enough without them automatically closing. This is an in-depth fix, read carefully:

1. Open Task Manager via Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
2. Click File > New Task (Run…)
3. Type “C:\Program Files” Press ENTER

Note: Since the explorer browser was accessed through Task Manager, it shouldn’t close every time Explorer restarts. If it does, repeat steps 1-3 until the window never closes after an Explorer restart.

4. Click the “Folders” link near the bottom of the left-hand colored pane.
5. Click Control Panel.
6. Click Program and Features.
7. Click the “Installed” tab so it sorts by installation date.
8. Notice the programs installed on the current day’s date! You need to uninstall these.
9. READ CAREFULLY!!!
10. When you click to remove one of these programs, windows will ask you to restart. DO NOT RESTART. Click “No”
11. If/When Windows prompts you telling you the uninstallation failed, click “Uninstall Using Recommended Settings”.
12. Repeat the same uninstall process, on every program installed on the current day's date, until Explorer stops restarting. Look for "Safety Alert" or "Messaging Service" specifically.
Computer Specs

Experience: Advanced
27-Oct-2007, 10:45 AM #7
Smile Mine does the same thing
I know I have no virus but my IE is doing the same thing with the same error that everyone is sharing. I also know that IE is very slow to come up.

01-Nov-2007, 03:46 PM #8
Guys If You Are Running Ares On Vista, Explorer Will Mess Up Cuz Ares Has Some Problems with Vista So Don't Run Ares On Vista Then Your Explorer Will Be Ok Cuz I Had The Same Problem and When I Deleted Ares, The Problem Disappeared
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

05-Nov-2007, 04:35 PM #9
I had the same problem. What I did was I went to my explorer options and removed add ons. Skype was causing the problem for me. This link should help. It worked fine for me once I disabled Skype from my add on manager.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...d8af71033.mspx
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!