Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lenovo X61 tablet with Vista problem (maybe)

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 16 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Sep-2007, 09:56 AM #1
Lenovo X61 tablet with Vista problem (maybe)
I have a Lenovo X61 tablet PC model 7767 B7U running Windows VISTA business.

I first brought one about 3 and a half months ago. It would lock up and occasionally get blue screens. I called their tech support, ran a HD scan which turned up good, downloaded all necessary drivers, still did not fix the problem. So I sent it in for repairs. The problem persisted, and I sent it in another two times. The problem persisted, after a Hard Drive, System board and memory replacement. I exercised my warranty to get it replaced.

Guess what? The new one has the exact same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do, because I just don’t understand!

A description of the problem: The cursor will simply turn into that little blue circle and the program (internet browser, Microsoft Word, etc….) will simply cease to respond. If I click on another program, I will be able to move in it for about 2 seconds until the pointer becomes the blue circle again and then it will stop responding.
One time, I had task manager open when this was happening. I noticed no memory spikes or anything. There were 3 different programs running, each one stopped responding as soon as I clicked on it.
I cannot figure out a common variable with these freeze ups, they occur whether I’m on the internet or not, whether I’m using Microsoft Word or Powerpoint, whether I’m in Tablet mode or not, etc….
The freeze ups occur anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 and a half hours.

The only software I have installed since getting the computer is:
-I have ran the “Lenovo Drivers update” program several times to get all of their updates
- I have ran the Windows update several times to get all of their updates
- Mcafee Virus protection software
- Office 2007 Business edition
- Mozilla Firefox
- Itunes

Anyway, does anybody have ANY idea what I could do to diagnose the problem, besides calling their crappy tech support who did absolutely nothing in the past? Thank you very much.

-Trent
Member with 183 posts.

23-Sep-2007, 07:05 PM #2
Try removing Office, reboot, any change? then the same with Firefox (back to IE7), itunes.
Computer Specs

23-Sep-2007, 08:20 PM #3
Thanks but...
Thanks for taking the time to respond, but the computer has crashed without every single one of those on it. I found out that Lenovo allows it's customers to downgrade to XP. I am going to have to do that, because I cannot find any connection whatsoever to what is causing these damn freezes. DON'T BUY LENOVO, YOU RUN THE RISK OF GETTING -BLEEPED- LIKE I DID. I've talked to other people who had the exact same problem, I think that Lenovo just doesn't want to admit that their tablets cannot run VISTA effectively.

-Trent
Member with 183 posts.

23-Sep-2007, 11:02 PM #4
Too bad. My Lenovo T41 works fine with vista.
Computer Specs

24-Sep-2007, 12:09 AM #5
Yeah well the T41 ain't a tablet.
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Oct-2007, 10:47 AM #6
I have same problem with Lenovo T61
I have the same problem with a Lenovo T61 Core 2 Duo notebook which I gave my son.

It is beyond frustrating. Lenovo has a document on their site about dealing with lockups which is all about re-seating everying which I will run through for the hell of it, but it is really frustrating.

I recently purchased a Fujitsu A3130 and while I have not used it as much as the T61, I have yet to have any problem.
Computer Specs

01-Oct-2007, 12:53 PM #7
Well lemme know if you find any solutions. I'll be receiving my XP discs sometime next week, hopefully it will work ok with that operating system.

-Trent

04-Oct-2007, 11:02 AM #8
XP downgrade not available to everyone
I called Lenovo tech support and while they are very accessible, they say that only Vista Buisiness or higher is downgradable to XP. Home premium which is what I got is not downgradable using the downgrade disks from Lenovo.

I have my own copy of XP professional which my father purchased and never used so I may try installing that.

Lenovo is sending me the Vista recovery DVD gratis so I can go back to Vista more easily should I choose to do so.

I have not really decided what to do yet. Let us know after you get your XP downgrade disks how everything turns out. I'll do the same.

For now, I have given my Fujitsu A3130 to my son and I am using the T61.

Best regards,
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
04-Oct-2007, 11:49 PM #9
arg!
hi-

i've been having the same problem with my x61 tablet. please post if downgrading to xp has helped the lock-ups any. between the constant freezing and my monitor ungluing itself, i'm starting to hate my computer!

-blubs

05-Oct-2007, 09:12 AM #10
What Lenovo told me.
Just so you know, Lenovo told me that I should follow their standard procedures for these kinds of situations and that is:

1) press the blue thnkvantage button while booting to get into the recovery screen. You want to go into the advanced recovery part and run the full hardware diagnostic. You need to have the network cable connected to a switch or you will fail that test. You need a data cd and a dvd to swap into the optical drive or you cannot run those tests. The full diagnostic takes about an hour and part of it is interactive so you have to be there for that part.

If anything comes up as an error, call in for service on those parts.

2) Follow the instructions at:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4YQNTQ
for lockups or hangs. I know it is tedious but it makes sense.

3) use the blue thinkvantage button to re-image the system from the recovery partition. Be sure to just wait and wait when Vista is loading because if you get impatient you can hose certain Vista files. Also, never turn Vista off and back on again. Be sure to wait 20 seconds from when you power off a Vista system until you power it back on again.
If you reimage, you will need to use the thinkvantage update to upgrade all your included software.

Good luck!
Junior Member with 1 posts.

05-Oct-2007, 11:14 AM #11
Try running without the battery..... on the power supply only. If it doesn't lock up, order a new battery. I had a similar situation on a T61 2623-DAU...... replaced everything with no success. the battery fixed the lockups.

05-Oct-2007, 11:15 AM #12
Thanks. I will.
Computer Specs

05-Oct-2007, 04:17 PM #13
Appreciate the suggestions. Mine seems to be locking up more infrequently.

Something else I've noticed about these lockups:
When I run the resource monitor and it locks up, the "disk" section gets up to 100% active time, and the files start shutting down one by one. That is how I know it has flopped.
During this period, the mouse can still move but if any programs are clicked on or if I attempt to restart the computer, the "blue waiting" circle appears and that is it. It will stay like this forever if I don't hold down the power button.

It's as if the "display" is still active, but the commands behind them cannot be executed.

28-Nov-2007, 04:16 PM #14
Final Solution to unexplained thinkpad lockups under vista
I finally had it with lockups. I first reinstalled Vista, first from the hidden Thinkvantage partition and later from DVD's provided by Lenovo. That did not fix anything.

So, I decided to downgrade from Vista to XP. Lenovo would not provide the downgrade software since I only had Vista Home Premium and you need Vista Business or better to get downgrade rights.

So, I purchased XP professional for about $100. It would have cost about that to upgrade from Home Premium to Business when I purchased the T61 so I was okay with doing that.

All the instructions for the downgrade and all the drivers are posted to the Lenovo site. Here is a good starting point for the downgrade instructions:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...afe4694a004ad6

Over 1-week since the downgrade and no more lockups!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,137 posts.

28-Nov-2007, 05:30 PM #15
McAfee Virus protection software
Itunes

These two have a track record in causing problems with Vista. Try removing them and see if the problems goes away.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!