Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Won't recognize CD drive now...help?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: 10 years
30-Sep-2007, 08:54 PM #1
Won't recognize CD drive now...help?
Hello, I hope someone can help me with this tiny problem. lol I have a Sony VGN-N300 with Vista. I have only had this computer for about a month and suddenly I can't use the CD-ROM drive. In Windows Explorer it calls it the 'Memory Stick D:'? We could swear it was something else before. lol If we put a disk in it looks to start formating without asking and the green bar goes almost to the end and never finishes. Sorry I didn't get a copy of an error message. I would have to go back to all that diagnostics stuff and I would probably get lost. lol

We looked into the diagnostics that are on the computer and it mentioned that the CDROM.SYS is corrupt. I tried to find it on the Sony site and they don't even have my model number listed. We tried the windows restore back to when I used the CDROM and it didn't help. The store where we bought the computer is about 70 miles. lol We live in the boonies. So, looking for help before driving back for help. We have already been back there twice with the first one we bought and they finally exchanged it for a new one. Not too sure I like laptops that much now. lol Thank you for any help.

Lynn in Oklahoma
Member with 204 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Oct-2007, 10:41 AM #2
Hi merceemay,
Something you could try would be to go into the device manager to see if the drivers are corrupt, you say you have had the unit for a month so i assume you still have the drivers and utilities cd. Click the plus to the left of the cd rom and right click on the drive which is at fault and uninstall it. It's possible the driver is missing or corrupt. restart the system and get back to me with the results. The problem dosen't seem too great.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,508 posts.

01-Oct-2007, 02:41 PM #3
Try System Restore.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 106 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Oct-2007, 10:11 AM #4
Try this: go into device manager and uninstall the offending drive, shut down computer (don't jusy restart) restart computer; during boot see if the drive is noted, after Vista restarts see if the drive is working. If this doesn't help, do it again but disconnect the drive from the motherboard when shut down, reboot, shut down, reconnect drive, reboot. Ther is an article on the web about how to restore CD drives, I'll see if I can find.
Member with 204 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Oct-2007, 10:37 AM #5
dont attempt to open the unit!!! It will invalidate your warranty...
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 106 posts.

02-Oct-2007, 06:48 PM #6
Laptop CDs
On my lap-top the CD just ejects for replacement, no need to open the computer case.
Member with 656 posts.

02-Oct-2007, 07:12 PM #7
I had the same thing happen to my brand new Dell laptop and in fact my computer didn't even recognize the CD drive. When I first got the computer it worked great.

I called Dell and they had me:
"Something you could try would be to go into the device manager to see if the drivers are corrupt, you say you have had the unit for a month so i assume you still have the drivers and utilities cd. Click the plus to the left of the cd rom and right click on the drive which is at fault and uninstall it. It's possible the driver is missing or corrupt. restart the system and get back to me with the results. The problem dosen't seem too great."

Now is works fine!
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,422 posts.

03-Oct-2007, 02:16 PM #8
I have often to delete my optical drives and let Vista find them again.
Vista does seem to be very fragile when it comes to Optical drives.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

03-Oct-2007, 07:15 PM #9
If the CD/DVD appears in Device Manager with an error code associated with it, try the following solution. This works for XP and Vista.

Download CDgone, right click on the downloaded file and choose Extract All, then double-click on cdgone.reg Say "Yes" to the merge question and then reboot. See if the drives have returned. You may have to re-install CD burning applications, since they're the ones that tinker with the filter setting in the registry that caused the drives to disappear.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,422 posts.

03-Oct-2007, 09:03 PM #10
Mine don't disappear, they just refuse to recognise CDs/DVDs and want to format them
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!