Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can I remove desktop.ini?

(!)

Member with 142 posts.

02-Oct-2007, 09:56 PM #1
Solved: Can I remove desktop.ini?
All of sudden I have two icons on my Vista desktop labled desktop.ini. They both seem to have been created at the same time on 9/12 but they are different sizes (282 bytes vs 174 bytes). Can I safely delete these files?

Don
Computer Specs
Member with 184 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Oct-2007, 10:19 PM #2
Desktop.ini is used to tell Windows how to display a folder. For example, enabling Thumbnail view creates a desktop.ini file in that folder which amongst other things, tells Windows to add an extra item to the View menu for that folder. Desktop.ini files are also used when you customize folders, change their icons etc.
Computer Specs
Member with 184 posts.

02-Oct-2007, 10:35 PM #3
Questions did you recently change a setting to view hidden files? If so unselecting this feature should correct seeing these items on the desktop.
Member with 142 posts.

03-Oct-2007, 11:37 AM #4
As a matter of fact, I did make the change to view hidden files. I think it is bizarre that this makes this kind of file show up on the desktop! Welcome to the wonderufl world of Vista. I have always enabled hidden file viewing since Windows 3.1 and never seen this. I have a love-hate relationship with Vista!!!
Member with 39 posts.

03-Oct-2007, 12:49 PM #5
Yeah i find it irritating too. I just drag it to the bottom right hand corner and forget about it.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,704 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Oct-2007, 01:22 PM #6
I delete them. But I don't customise individual folders.
Computer Specs
Member with 184 posts.

03-Oct-2007, 03:42 PM #7
try to rehide the hidden files and see if that doesn't streighten things back out
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,145 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Oct-2007, 05:25 PM #8
These "ini" files have been around since at least Windows 98. One will find one at the root of every folder.

They are NOT hidden when one selects the "Hide protected operating systems" entry is cleared. It is NOT the "Hidden file" entry that clears this.
Member with 39 posts.

03-Oct-2007, 09:30 PM #9
It's definately the "Hidden File" entry that either displays or hides this file on desktop in vista. I tested both that and the "Hide Protected Operating Systems."

Only choosing "Do not show hidden files and folders" made it dissapear off my desktop
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!