Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Vista-running so many services!

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 134 posts.

Experience: Better than the ave Joe
07-Oct-2007, 11:37 PM #1
Question Vista-running so many services!
Hi all,
haven't been around in a while. Hope this finds you well. Me, I have started wading through the world of Vista. Especially irritating is the area I call Services hell! I have a brand new computer. Amd Athlon 64x2 5000+ w/ 2 gb of ram running Vista home premium 32. I swear, it don't seem to run any faster on basic stuff anyway than my Amd Athlon 64 1800+ w/ 768 gb or ram running XP HOME. I haven't even attempted to install my PS 7, Bryce 6, Poser 5, Cinema 4d 8.5, or Deep Paint yet. Just been trying to update everything, hook up printer, ect... so far. My primary reason for a new comp was to be able to run some of those above programs more efficiently.
Now, after looking at the task manager and running services in Vista I am disgusted! I thought XP was bad! I haven't personally been able to control/manage unwanted processes and services effectively since Win 98. They make it harder to find them and still yet... harder to shut them down w/o them coming back. Not to mention that there is so many that I am just not sure if I need. I found a cool page here:
http://members.rushmore.com/%7Ejsky/id31.html

It list all the Vista services that you may not need and tells how to disable them. Only problem... I don't fully understand a lot of the services and am not sure if I need them. For ex:
"UPnP Device Host - Allows UPnP devices to be hosted on this computer. If this service is stopped, any hosted UPnP devices will stop functioning and no additional hosted devices can be added. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. Do you have any UPnP devices? No, then disable this as well."

I'm not sure what a UpnP device is. And this is just one example. Some things are obvious like this one:
"Telephony Disable if you don't use dial-up connections."
I get that. I don't use dial up!
Others aren't so clear like this one: "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Disable. Totally useless if you don't use NetBIOS (NetBT)."

I had a mild understanding of TCP/IP back when I was on dial-up but don't remember a lot and have no clue what a NET BIOS HELPER is!

Some additional info:
I am on the main computer on a home network of 3 computers. 1 wireless, 2 wired. I as well as my daughter have websites so anything to do w/ that we would need.
I am having some issues w/ my router as well but that is for another thread. lol.

Any advice on which services that I don't really need and can disable would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a bunch,
star****
Computer Specs

08-Oct-2007, 09:36 AM #2
Vista Service hell!
Ok, not to bug you guys. I just really want to get my computer running as it should before I install a bunch of stuff.
Thanks,
star****
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 235 posts.

09-Oct-2007, 07:40 AM #3
I don't know if this will help you or not.But go to Blackviper.com and take a look around at the Vista services under SAFE!It will give you a general idea of what you can disable or put to manual.Good luck.
TechB TechB is offline TechB has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 446 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Oct-2007, 08:33 AM #4
Without a thorough understanding of Windows, Vista, and all the programs and hardware you intend to use no one can help you with your question about which services can be safely stopped. This will differ for every computer and user.

As for the computer running slowly that is probably not caused by services but by programs that may not be needed. Are you using a security suite? Many of these types of programs have a dramatic effect on performance. Is the computer from a large manufacturer like HP, Gateway, eMachines, etc. Many of these manufacturers load up the computer with trial versions of many programs that aren't really needed.
Computer Specs

09-Oct-2007, 12:39 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray10
I don't know if this will help you or not.But go to Blackviper.com and take a look around at the Vista services under SAFE!It will give you a general idea of what you can disable or put to manual.Good luck.
Stingray,
Thanks for the link! Hopefully between it, and the link I posted I will be able to sort this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechB
Without a thorough understanding of Windows, Vista, and all the programs and hardware you intend to use no one can help you with your question about which services can be safely stopped. This will differ for every computer and user.

As for the computer running slowly that is probably not caused by services but by programs that may not be needed. Are you using a security suite? Many of these types of programs have a dramatic effect on performance. Is the computer from a large manufacturer like HP, Gateway, eMachines, etc. Many of these manufacturers load up the computer with trial versions of many programs that aren't really needed.
Dear TechB,
It is a Medion 8825. Detailed specs here:
http://www.medionusa.com/
Go there and click on the pic on the left side. And yes, don't laugh... I got it at Aldi! A few years back my parents got the last Medion Desktop that Aldi had and it has been/is an awesome computer! Office depot had almost the same one my Parent's had purchased w/ a couple less features for about $200.00 more at the time!I have been waiting for them to come out w/ a new one for a while. The software is pretty basic. There is a link to it when you click on the pic of the computer. It actually has a sealed Vista Disk w/it too, as well as a sealed upgrade anytime Vista disk! Only trial versions is MS office and Bullgaurd 7.0.
The reason I think it is the services... I had tweaked my XP services and it helped. When I looked at the huge service list in Vista I was shocked! And so many have spoke of the huge memory hog it is. I believe it. My last computer was from HP. And all I can say is neverrrrrrrrrrrr again! Other than them replacing the MB the pc has been a good one But the tech support is a nightmare. They always sounded like they were from india or pakistan and I could barely understand them. If that wasn't bad enough... Sometimes I swearrrrr, I knew more about computers than they did! Medion is a European based company and at least the customer support speaks english. W/ a british accent, but clearly we understand each other. Also, here is a link to the MB support page:
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...5&maincat_no=1

Let me know if you come up w/ anymore ideas.
Thanks,
star****
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!