Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

kmwdfilter.sys - blue screen of death

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

09-Oct-2007, 08:23 PM #1
kmwdfilter.sys - blue screen of death
I am running windows vista and have been randomly forced to restart with blue screen on a few occasions . Each time the error message mentions a file called kmwdfilter.sys which with a bit of digging around i have found in - C:\Windows\System32\drivers

I cant seem to find the purpose of this file but it is registered to microsoft corporation. Would it be unwise to delete it? How can i escape from the blue screen of death
cuttlefish cuttlefish is offline cuttlefish has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 748 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Oct-2007, 12:48 AM #2
Sounds like a wireless mouse driver problem to me?
Not a Tevion mouse is it?
I'd firstly give the mouse a good dust and clean, new batteries, clean the internal circuit boards of dust etc, check there are no dry joints on it's connections, if that doesnt work, go to Device Manager and under Mice, uninstall it and then reboot.
See if that fixes it but also make sure you have the latest driver for your mouse to ensure it is compatible with Vista.
The original Vista CD has a Compatability Wizard function that you can run to check what hardware/software will work with Vista.

10-Oct-2007, 05:46 AM #3
I do have a wireless mouse but it is not tevion ( the brand is Trust) I saw some posts about the tevion mouse and kmwdfilter so i checked the drivers for my mouse in the control panel but it appears to be different. I have updated to the latest version of the Trust drivers from the Trust website

Will try cleaning and uninstalling/ reinstaling though and hopefully that works

12-Oct-2007, 11:17 AM #4
Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling and cleaning the mouse and everything was fine for a while but have just had to restart with kmwdfilter error again. It doesnt seem to be related to anything in particualr i am doing - using firefox with pages i have looked at on other occasions - do you think would be a good idea to just delete the kmwdfilter file?
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Oct-2007, 05:30 PM #5
kmwdfilter
Im having the exact same problem with kmwdfilter.sys. This file seems indeed related to my mouse driver and it also a Trust mouse (not wireless though). Upgrading to the latest driver didnt do the trick. I cant find a reason for the crashes either, they seem to occur at random times, may be 5 minutes between crashes, may be 1 week.

Im running windows XP though, so the problem might not be Vista related.

25-Oct-2007, 07:06 AM #6
I have removed kmwdfilter.sys from the drivers folder and as yet no ill affects. this seems to have stopped the problem and otherwise eveerything is working fine

25-Oct-2007, 07:14 AM #7
I have removed kmwdfilter.sys from the drivers folder and as yet no ill effects. this seems to have stopped the problem and otherwise everything is working fine
Junior Member with 2 posts.

25-Oct-2007, 04:13 PM #8
i have done the same now, ill post again should the error occur again
Junior Member with 1 posts.

17-Jan-2008, 09:14 AM #9
kmwdfilter in XP
I had the same problem, uninstalling the driver of my mouse fixed it.

However uninstalling the trust driver did not remove the kmwdfilter.sys , I had to manually remove it from the driver folder.

Seems my wireless mouse (brand Trust) seems to work perfectly well without the trust drivers.

Mouse : Trust Mi-4950R Wireless
Junior Member with 18 posts.

12-Feb-2008, 07:50 AM #10
I had the same blue screen problem because of the kmwdfilter.sys file. I have a TRUST MI2950R optical mouse and the driver from the CD shiped with this mouse was causing the problem.

Instead of deleting the driver I went to the TRUST website and had a look at their download section to see if they had an updated driver. And they do! I also contacted them explaining the problem and received a mail today confirming that they are aware of the problem and that the updated driver from their website is fixing the problem.

here are the mails (mine describing the problem and their reply to it):
Quote:
Hello,

I bought the Optical Mouse MI-2950R model and am using it for about 2-3 weeks already but since then I am experiencing random restarts with blue screen under Windows Vista (Home Premium).
After further investigation I found that the problem comes from the mouse's driver (the one shipped with the device on the CD) and it looks like I am not the only user in this situation (see http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...een-death.html for more details)
Also it looks like not only Vista users are affected, similar reports are coming from Windows XP users.
The crash report points to a file named kmwdfiletr.sys. I see on your website that there is a driver that is labeled as 'improved', I already downloaded it and will install it to see if the problem can be solved.

Regards,
Mourad Mokrane
and their reply was:

Quote:
Dear customer,

We confirm you that with the improved driver by our website you can solve the crash problem.

Best regards,
Maria De Biase
Trust customer care
The link to the new drivers is: http://www.trust.com/products/ (just find your product(s) and open its description, the driver download link is there)

HTH!

12-Feb-2008, 07:52 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wietze2000 View Post
I had the same problem, uninstalling the driver of my mouse fixed it.

However uninstalling the trust driver did not remove the kmwdfilter.sys , I had to manually remove it from the driver folder.

Seems my wireless mouse (brand Trust) seems to work perfectly well without the trust drivers.

Mouse : Trust Mi-4950R Wireless
Your mouse's updated drivers are here (Vista, XP and Win2K):
http://www.trust.com/products/produc...ection=drivers

12-Feb-2008, 08:02 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttlefish View Post
Sounds like a wireless mouse driver problem to me?
Not a Tevion mouse is it?
I'd firstly give the mouse a good dust and clean, new batteries, clean the internal circuit boards of dust etc, check there are no dry joints on it's connections, if that doesnt work, go to Device Manager and under Mice, uninstall it and then reboot.
See if that fixes it but also make sure you have the latest driver for your mouse to ensure it is compatible with Vista.
The original Vista CD has a Compatability Wizard function that you can run to check what hardware/software will work with Vista.
Hmmm... Looks that the kmwdfilter.sys file was included in more than only TRUST drivers (it was created by a company called UASSOFT.COM). looks like Tevion/Medion products are also affected.

Tevion is actually a sub-brand of Medion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medion).
You can find updated drivers here: http://www.medion.com/ (international website)

Hope that helps!

16-Feb-2008, 01:59 PM #13
Also, for Tevion mice I found that:
http://www.unisupport.net/lang/en/te..._mouse1600.htm
they have a new version of the driver and say it fixes the blue screen reboot problem
Junior Member with 1 posts.

10-Mar-2008, 05:30 AM #14
re-installed drivers for TRUST mouse still not working
Hello guys, first of all I want to thank you, because after reading this topic I know, where is the problem. But it is still not fixed on my PC. Im using Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 and I have as written here unistalled the old mouse driver (installed from CD to the mouse) and after restart I have installed the improved driver downloaded from the TRUST website. Then again restart and it was OK during whole saturday. But from yesterday, my problem is back.
Did somebody found some other and better solution to fix this? Please let me know, Im realy nervous of it.

Thanks a lot in advance.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!