Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Driver Power State Failure Vista Home Premium

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Oct-2007, 12:51 AM #1
Driver Power State Failure Vista Home Premium
I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book Premium Edition external hard drive and installed it on my new HP A6157C computer. I felt I needed it because I wanted to protect my media files which are extensive. I am running Vista Home Premium.

I have had a problem with the power button on the external drive. It will not shut it down. I call for support to WD and was told to unplug the drive if I wanted to power it down. Did not make sense at all to me. The documentation says that all you have to do is hit the power button once and it will turn the device off.

Every time I power up MyBook, at some point, I have been getting a Driver Power State Failure and the computer shuts down. On the box of MyBook, it says it works with Windows Vista but all of the documentation online (help manuals, etc) on talk about Windows XP and older editions of Windows.

I am wondering if the driver power state failure is related to MyBook? I am contemplating removing the My Book - trying to figure out how to reformat it since I have information on it.

Any advice? It is possible that it is not compatible with Windows Vista?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
22-Oct-2007, 02:01 AM #2
It looks like there may be a documented reason >>

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=929762&sd=RMVP

And it looks like it might fit the bill, since your device appears to use that type of connection > http://tech.yahoo.com/ps/western-dig...000/1993706733

And your computer does have a firewire port I believe.

Try the update suggested.

Or are you connecting it through USB? If you have it connected to the firewire port, and the update does not help -- switch to USB

If all else fails, do the following >>

We might be able to tell this from the dump files that are created when you get a "blue screen":

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 22-Oct-2007 at 02:18 AM..
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Oct-2007, 08:58 PM #3
At the time, the external hard drive was installed using the firewire. I will have to try using the USB.

Just to be clear on which download to install, I have a 32 bit and I am using Vista Home Premium so I download the one that says Windows Vist (KB929762)?

I did not experience the problem when waking the computer from sleep, but I seem to remember that I was perhaps watching videos either on YouTube or on my Windows Media Player and I did have the drive on at the time when the computer shutdown.

I did get the file you asked for and I am hoping I have attached it properly. Will this fix from Windows also fix the power button problem I am experiencing or is that a totally different issue?

Thanks very much for replying to my post. Let me know if I did not attach the compressed file properly.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dumpcheck.zip (22.8 KB, 144 views)
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
23-Oct-2007, 09:24 PM #4
This is the one for you >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

It would in fact be interesting to leave it as firewire and test the effectiveness of the update -- but that's up to you

The bugcheck confirms what you have already reported
Quote:
BugCheck 9F, {3, 853c74c0, 854aead8, 85384c40}

Probably caused by : disk.sys

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

0: kd> !analyze -v
*************************************************************************** ****
* Bugcheck Analysis *
*************************************************************************** ****

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver is causing an inconsistent power state.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000003, A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time
Arg2: 853c74c0, Physical Device Object of the stack
Arg3: 854aead8, Functional Device Object of the stack
Arg4: 85384c40, The blocked IRP

Debugging Details:
------------------

DRVPOWERSTATE_SUBCODE: 3

DEVICE_OBJECT: 854aead8

DRIVER_OBJECT: 865d4368

IMAGE_NAME: disk.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4549b19c

MODULE_NAME: disk
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!