Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't change my resolution from 640x480

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

05-Nov-2007, 10:55 AM #1
Can't change my resolution from 640x480
Ever since Vista wasz installed I havent been able to change my screen resolution at all. I am stuck at 640x480 which has many problem with regular browsing of the internet even. I also am only allowed to be in 16 bit graphics. I've tried around to find answers and havent yet. One thing I did notice is that I think something is wrong with the way the computer recognizes my monitor. When I go into the display prop. It says Generic Monitor in the setttings tab or whatever. And everything is gray so I cant change it. the only option I get it (16) Medium and the resolution refuses to move since I cant click it. Another thing that may be attributing to the problem is that my graphics controller doesn't seem to have the right driver. It used to pop up an alert thing on startup and say I need new drivers. When I tried to install them, it said it can't find them. When i tried to manually do it, all kinds of goofy stuff got me no where. I'm sure I havent provided enough information yet, and Im not currently on my own computer. Please let me know if there is anything you'd like me to clarify and I will answer right away.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,272 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Nov-2007, 01:10 PM #2
You do NOT have the correct driver installed for your graphics card. You need to figure out what type and model you have and go to that OEM's website and down load a Vista driver for it and install that driver.
Computer Specs

06-Nov-2007, 12:01 AM #3
Heres the thing, I tried to get a new driver but the newest ones they have are for xp and they don't fix the problem.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,272 posts.

06-Nov-2007, 02:52 PM #4
Then you will have to get a new graphics card.
Did you run the Vista Upgrade Adviser before installing Vista?
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

06-Nov-2007, 03:16 PM #5
Before we agree the card has no Vista drivers, what is the card?
Computer Specs

09-Nov-2007, 11:37 AM #6
Well first off its an on board card so I have no slot for a new one, and the card right now is an Intel Somethin or other. I've been to intel and looked at thier drivers, and all they have is for XP. I tried them anyway and they are useless to me. It just says Invalid operating system. No kidding...
Junior Member with 13 posts.

09-Nov-2007, 12:10 PM #7
even though your card is onboard you should still have an available slot. whether it be PCI-Express, AGI, or PCI.

one quick search led me to this....its a 32-bit driver download for the integrated intel chipsets. let us know how it works....Download
Computer Specs

12-Nov-2007, 12:02 PM #8
Well I did already open it and I do not in fact have a slot so, IDK, I am going to download that chipset and see how that works out. Ill post again later.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!