Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Vista denies me access to My Pictures & Documents

(!)

Member with 126 posts.

19-Nov-2007, 07:53 AM #1
Smile Vista denies me access to My Pictures & Documents
I keep getting denied access to my own pictures. I am also denied access to my documents and setting folder and several other places. I used windows transfer utility to move data from my old computer to my new one. Now I can't access my own data. I am the only person using the computer and am listed as the administrator by my name. I seem to have access to my word documents.
The error message for documents and setting folder says:location is not available - Documents and Setting is not available - access is denied.
The error message for My Pictures says - Location is not available - C:\users\james harding\documents\My Pictures is not accessible - access is denied.
I have not been able to find on microsoft how to solve this problem. There is so much security (I assume that is what the problem is) that it renders one useless. XP was much more user friendly.
Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Jim Harding
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,385 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Nov-2007, 12:54 PM #2
Have you tried using this path "C:\users\james harding\documents\Pictures" NO "My"?
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

19-Nov-2007, 01:28 PM #3
Try taking ownership. This needs to be done quite a bit in Vista, so if you want you can use this to add the option to your context menu instead of doing it manually:
Vista Take Ownership Context Menu
Member with 126 posts.

20-Nov-2007, 08:50 PM #4
Thank you.
What you suggested helped. I can access My Pictures and several other folders. However when I try to Take Ownership of "Documents and Settings" it says approximately that there is an error and that a file cannot be found. It flashes up so fast I can hardly read it. I am not sure what I am missing if I can't take ownership of that one. In XP I was going to it often to locate things. I do a lot with MS Office and will be updating to 2007 shortly. I also do a great deal with pictures and hope to do more with video but I seem to be able to acceess those files at this time. If there is another workaround for the Documents and Settings Folder let me know. If I won't miss it I am OK for the moment. Thanks for your help.
Jim Harding
Member with 126 posts.

20-Nov-2007, 08:53 PM #5
Hi Dave,
Thanks for responding. I tried Elvadil's suggestion first and as you can see it seems mostly to be working. I am going to keep your suggestion handy also, just in case.
Thanks again.
Jim Harding
Computer Specs

20-Nov-2007, 09:00 PM #6
See what the security settings are now under the Security tab. Click Advanced to see ownership.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,385 posts.

21-Nov-2007, 01:03 PM #7
"Take Ownership of "Documents and Settings" "

Where are you finding this folder on a Vista machine?

There are Hidden folders of the old "My" type. They are there for use of the OS ONLY, so it can assist the older programs that MUST use these folder names and will forward the files to the "Users (username) document folder(s)". It is NOT to be used by any of the users including any of the Admin group.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

21-Nov-2007, 10:43 PM #8
In Vista "My Pictures" become "Pictures" as "My Music" becomes "Music" and the odds are your files were moved to them if this was an upgrade. They show up not in Documents, but in the user as a main category.
Member with 126 posts.

22-Nov-2007, 01:00 PM #9
James Harding (myself), System, and Administrators all have Full Control Permissions now and it applies to this folder and subfolders. This is true for Pictures and My Pictures and documents and my documents I believe. Having tried several times to transer folders and settings from my old computer to the new one, as it keep stopping (a few files had names that were too long from web sites favorites, the new computer over heated a couple of times and I now have a new cooler-fan to put on over the CPU provided by the mfg of the cpu. I see that I have about three sets of my photos on this new computer. I can take care of that later.

My problem now is that I have a lot of canon digital pictures I need to download to this computer from the camera. I have installed the proper softeware and have tried to give myself ownership of the Canon Utilities folder, and separately each of the 6 sub folders as each are a separate program. so far I am not able to download the pictures. It acted as if it were going to work, blinked a couple of times and never went further. (I am a Clinical Psychologist, I have used computers for 22 years, hve changed everything or upgraded everything but the motherboad in my computers with much problem, have greatly enjoyed the experience over all but am extremely frustrated with the enormous time it takes me to do the simplest tasks with Vista). Thanks for any help you can give.
Jim Harding
Member with 126 posts.

22-Nov-2007, 01:01 PM #10
Yes, that is correct. Now I have them in both My Pictures and Pictures.
Member with 126 posts.

22-Nov-2007, 01:04 PM #11
Documents and Settings I found when I went to Drive C: and went down until I located it. Maybe then it is empty?
Thanks for your help.
Jim Hardng
Computer Specs

22-Nov-2007, 01:40 PM #12
You might want to get a good searcher that looks absolutely everywhere and finds even hidden files, like Agent Ransack.

Then, go to Control Panel > Folder Options, and be sure that hidden files are unhidden (looks like they are already if you see Documents and Settings). Do a search for part of a title of one of the things you lost. Installations don't typically erase anything personal (unless you did something unusual like put things in the Windows folder), but may categorize what is found in a way that is hard to find.

Last edited by Elvandil; 22-Nov-2007 at 02:34 PM..
Member with 126 posts.

23-Nov-2007, 12:51 AM #13
I finally was able to download my pictures from the Canon digital camera. There was a vista update for the Canon software. However it put them all into one file rather than by date which I find very useful. I will eventually see if Canon has some ideas. It also downloaded the files into a fourth place that I have pictures in which was confusing. I knew that I had downloaded them but could find them for quite some time.
Member with 126 posts.

23-Nov-2007, 12:52 AM #14
I will try Agent Ransak tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.
Member with 126 posts.

23-Nov-2007, 12:53 AM #15
I think that I just can't find them, not that they are erased. Thanks for the help.
Jim Harding
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!