Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: svchost.exe memory leak!

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Nov-2007, 12:30 PM #1
Solved: svchost.exe memory leak!
Hey guys and gals,

My problems revolves around this fuzzy little process svchost.exe. When I start my computer, after I log in, I have about 1 minute before my computer essentially freezes.

So, I open up task manager on login, and see that svchost.exe increasingly uses 15 mb of RAM every second until it gets about 600 mb and the computer is unusable. I checked the services associated to this particular svchost: DcomLaunch and PlugnPlay. When I try to stop the process, it states that the process can not be stopped because it is not running(but it quite obviously is).

This all started when I was perusing a website, then was notified by avast that 3 or four viruses/trojans had come in. I believe avast got all of them, but I am still having this problem. I managed to schedule a boot time scan for avast but nothing was found.

I have previously used restore to last good boot, but this did not work.

I would be more than happy to post a hijackthis but I do not know if I'll have time to DL it and install before the freeze.

BTW, if I stop the svchost process, a windows type window comes up and says the system is restarting. I then have a minute before restart.

I am currently posting from the Ubuntu side of my Laptop as the windows side is unusable.

Would love some help, I really would prefer to not have to re-install everything.

Dell Inspiron 1501
1GB Ram
Vista Home Premium
70 GB Partition

Thanks!!

EDIT: Actually when trying to stop the services, States that this is not a valid function

Also, Found NTOS process, googled and found that it is a trojan that jumps on a service. Avast did not pick it up. I'll see what I can do and update.

Last edited by xander5; 24-Nov-2007 at 12:42 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 5,262 posts.

24-Nov-2007, 03:00 PM #2
I only use 'Last known good' when the system fails to boot. Try System Restore ( \All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore )
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Nov-2007, 10:20 AM #3
Ok, Problem Solved!!!

Turned out that NTOS trojan was creating a memory hole in svchost.

Searched some forums and found this program called trojan remover. FUnny thing is that I had to DL it on one startup, My computer reset itself, and run it on the next setup. It found ntos, renamed it, removed it, and now my comuter is back to normal. Thanks much people.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!