Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My DVD-RW cd won't format after the first backup, it always says the format fails

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Dec-2007, 07:17 PM #1
My DVD-RW cd won't format after the first backup, it always says the format fails
I want to start making external backups of my computer. Yesterday I insterted a brand new DVD-RW into my comp. It formatted fine and the backup filled the Disc, it asked for Disc 2, I put it in and everything was fine, but then I had to shut down my comp and it didn't complete. So now I need to reformat Disc 1 and start over, but it keeps saying 'Format was not successful.'

I tried and was successful in deleting all the files on the disc, but it still won't format. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated .

Thank you,
Brad
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Dec-2007, 08:29 PM #2
I don't know why it would not format again but you really don't need to format again , simply delete everything on the drive is all.
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

09-Dec-2007, 08:52 PM #3
I did try that. I tried to click erase disc, and at first I thought it erased because it said that it was erased succesfully, but I checked again, and after I click erase, it doesn't erase; it still says there's 0% free space. When I clik into the disk or click 'explore' on it, the only thing in there is a desktop.ini file, which I delete, but nothing else shows up on the disc.

Also, when I insert the disc and try to start a backup, it makes me format it first, which fails.

Thanks.
Computer Specs

09-Dec-2007, 09:35 PM #4
Possibly the disk was corrupted, did you try another new one?
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

10-Dec-2007, 02:31 AM #5
Yeah, i guess you were right, my other disc formatted correctly (the memory wasn't completely full like the other one), but I'll have to get another DVD-RW to try the backup again.

Thanks,
Brad
Computer Specs

10-Dec-2007, 10:04 AM #6
Glad it was something simple. You know I gave up working with cd and dvd-rw's many years ago as I found they corrupt to easily. Much safer to use portable or mobile hard drive if your intent is to remove the backup from the premesis.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!