Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

can not start vista..even in safe mode

(!)

Senior Member with 1,098 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jan-2008, 11:28 PM #1
Exclamation can not start vista..even in safe mode
Hi All,
My girlfriend's Dell Inspiron e1405 running Vista has randomly encountered a perplexing problem. Any attempt to boot into windows, even in safe mode, causes:

a cmd.exe box to load labeled "C:\windows\system32\logonui.exe" to open in the background, and in the foreground, an error box with the title "16 bit MS-DOS subsystem". In this box it says "C:\Windows\system32\logonUI.exe The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. Cs:ef00 IP:11c1 OP: ff ff ff ff ff Choose 'close' to terminated the application"

Hitting close or ignore does not work. The box closes and a blank screen remains, while the harddrive light remains active.

There have been no new programs installed, nor have any attachments/other virus entry means been opened. The computer has had up-to-date anti virus software (up to date definitions) running at all times.

I have tried the following: Via F8 at start up, running memory test, running "check for startup errors", "use last known good configuration", system restore, safe mode. None of these things seem to do the trick. I am at a loss as to what to do, and of course, she has not backed up her computer despite having a brand new external drive on which to do so. If I could just log in to back up her stuff and then restore windows that would be cool, though I would sure love to know why this happened in the first place.

Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated

EDIT: So I contacted Dell and they said that this is a windows corruption problem, and therefore is not related to Dell at all/requires no action on their part. Seeing how this laptop is less than 6 months old, this surprised me. When I think data corruption and inability to boot into windows, I think failing harddrive or a heat problem. Is this not correct? How do I convince Dell about this/what should I do in terms of new hardware?

Thanks again

Last edited by rosh325; 03-Jan-2008 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: added
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jan-2008, 02:27 AM #2
Hi,

There is the way to reload the Vista, with out delete any of the data from the HDD. once you installed in that way, you will be recover the data. but you have reload the applications.

step 1: boot from the os cd
while boot from it, there will screen which says upgrade or custom. select the custom and nextscreen shows up partition. select the os partition and reload it.
Once vista is installed. go to "C"
drive and there will be folder with says windows.old. where you can see all user's data.

03-Jan-2008, 02:31 AM #3
Hi Vijay.sr2 thanks for the quick reply. I am currently in the process of backing up her data (since, it should be backed up no mater what to prevent further problems), then I will give your method a try. Will this work with a dell-supplied Vista cd? I will let you know how it goes

Any thoughts on why this happened?
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jan-2008, 02:39 AM #4
Hi rosh 325, it could be the faulty HDD. Most of the dell system has inbuilt diagnostics. may be you can try to ran the diag for the HDD. FN+Power key to ran the diag.

04-Jan-2008, 09:01 PM #5
I ran the extended tests and everything (including the hard drive) came up normal. I am currently in the middle of running the "windows.old" update method, and of course, several error messages came up during the install talking about files being corrupt and that I should run chkdisk. The files were windows files, mainly, windows defender and .net

The install seems to be going forward despite these snags, but I still want/need to know why this happened and if I need to do anything about it. Thanks

08-Jan-2008, 11:06 PM #6
So after reinstalling windows via vijay's method, chkdisk ran and found lots of errors that it had to correct. After doing so, however, things seem to be alright. I still don't understand why this all happened!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!