Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: program not found in vista home premium

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 708 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jan-2008, 09:46 PM #1
Solved: program not found in vista home premium
This is a bit complicated at this point. Earlier today I uninstalled ATT fast access dsl help center version 4.1 from the control panel & then downloaded and reinstalled the 4.2 version like I was told to do in the 4.1 error message. Then later this p.m. I did a system restore for another problem. Now I'm back to getting the error message and being told to uninstall the 4.1 version from control panel, which is back in the control panel. When I tried to do that I get the message that the program is not installed on the computer. Then when I tried to download and install the 4.2 again it tells me to uninstall the one from the control panel first. How can I get the listing out of the control panel?? Thanks for any suggestions.
Member with 67 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jan-2008, 09:05 AM #2
I would try and remove the program manually, did it come with its own uninstaller?
Computer Specs
Member with 708 posts.

11-Jan-2008, 09:39 AM #3
It doesn't have it's own installer and I don't know much about vista either. How would you remove it manually in vista. I can't even figure out the search thing in vista.
Senior Member with 429 posts.

11-Jan-2008, 10:37 AM #4
The control panel will most likely be installed in C:\Windows\system32 and have an extension of .cpl,
to remove it just delete the appropiate .CPL file.
Computer Specs
Member with 708 posts.

11-Jan-2008, 02:57 PM #5
I have managed to remove all the entries of the fast access dsl help center 4.1 in the registry by looking them up under edit and then find in the registry. How would I look up this entry in the control panel now? I tried using registry defender that I had, but it found over 3500 errors, so was afraid to try and delete them. Then when I tried to search there and just delete 4 or 5 at a time, it wouldn't even let me delete them. I just uninstalled that program and decided not to try that. I have it now where the thing doesn't pop up each time you log on and tell me to uninstall through control panel and reinstall. I did try to reinstall again since it's out of the registry, but I still get the same thing about uninstalling through control panel when I do that.
Member with 481 posts.

Experience: I've done it a few times... oh! *that* kind? Lots!
11-Jan-2008, 04:37 PM #6
Sounds like you restored the system to a point before uninstalling/reinstalling the first time. Make sense?
Undo your restore.
Computer Specs
Member with 708 posts.

11-Jan-2008, 05:21 PM #7
i already tried that and it didn't help the problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

11-Jan-2008, 05:37 PM #8
try using CCleaner to delete the program from the control panel. I believe it also has a registry searching tool to delete any dead links from there. I'm at work so I cannot tell you exactly where to go but I do know exactly where but I think it says install/uninstall programs and you can right click the entry to delete it.
Member with 67 posts.

11-Jan-2008, 06:32 PM #9
the following link will help: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/cpicon.htm
Computer Specs
Member with 708 posts.

11-Jan-2008, 09:06 PM #10
I'll try the things suggested above. I just put in the bellsouth CD to see if I could run it and got this error message....WFDE+Utilityprograms+workflowharness.exe has stopped working. What does that mean?? I can run other Cd's.
Member with 67 posts.

11-Jan-2008, 09:13 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubeckf View Post
I'll try the things suggested above. I just put in the bellsouth CD to see if I could run it and got this error message....WFDE+Utilityprograms+workflowharness.exe has stopped working. What does that mean?? I can run other Cd's.
I dont think bellsouths's software would be Vista compatible. Remmber most ISP's / Telecommunication companies have not switch over to vista, therefore they have not created vista compatible software.
Computer Specs
Member with 708 posts.

11-Jan-2008, 10:42 PM #12
I used ccleaner and was finally able to get the prog out of the control panel and reinstall the newer version. Thanks for everyone's help.
Back to the problem with the bellsouth cd, the dsl program is a part of bellsouth dsl internet. I'm doing this for another girl on her new laptop, but she does have bellsouth. Anyway, I'm through fooling with it since i got the installation problem resolved.
She said she hasn't been shutting it down properly and I guess that may have caused some of the many registry errors. I showed her how to shut it down properly.
Computer Specs
Member with 708 posts.

12-Jan-2008, 08:27 AM #13
I just got to thinking...I've had my bellsouth CD for 3 or more years and this girl has only had it a couple months. Maybe the new BellSouth installation CD's are compatible with Vista. Is that WFDE not working etc., error message one you get if it's not compatible with Vista?
Have a great wk end everyone.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!