Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Usb Pen Drives; Digital Camera Not Working in VISTA

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Jan-2008, 03:21 PM #1
Solved: Usb Pen Drives; Digital Camera Not Working in VISTA
Well, my problem is that USB pen Drives just dont work in my Windows Vista Ultimate. I tried 2 Pen Drives a month back for the very 1st and last time in my PC. They get detected, but strangely, windows fails to install driver. I'm having windows XP also, and it's working perfectly fine in this OS. I tested the pen drives in 2 PC's (running Vista), they'r working perfectly fine.
I tried connecting a new Canon digital Camera (Certified for Windows Vista) i bought just yesterday, but a problem again. It detects it correctly as "Canon Digital Camera" but fails to install Drivers. In Camera Manual, it says it will install the drivers automatically, and that i will get another "Removable Drive" in "My Computer" (This is for both VISTA and XP). Nothing of this sort ever happens in my Vista. Still note that I get the name "Canon Digital Camera" in "Imaging Devices" in "Device Manager". And in Windows XP, it's working exactly as given in manual.
Also note that memory card readers are working fine.
One of my friend told the problem can be in my motherboard. But I have installed the latest drivers and softwares for my motherboard (Asus P5b-MX Wifi-AP) and my motherboard supports Vista. Also note that i have tried all usb ports.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,387 posts.

24-Jan-2008, 04:32 PM #2
Some protection programs will block the use of such devices. What security programs are you using?
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2008, 04:42 PM #3
I was using Norton 360 a month back (When i tried pen drives) and now I'm not using any antivirus softwares i.e for the digital camera. Thanx for trying to help, but I dont think it's anti-virus problem.
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2008, 04:47 PM #4
Check you hardware devices and see if there are any "Yellow" flags showing that there is a driver problem.
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2008, 04:55 PM #5
No....there's no exclamatory mark. It is mentioned in device manager list as if there is no problem. I'm talking abt the digital Camera. Sorry, i dont have any pen drives to test this same thing. And yeah, i have already installed the digital camera software, still it's not working. The software says, the camera is not connected. I repeat this is not the case in Windows XP. It's perfectly fine in XP
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

24-Jan-2008, 04:59 PM #6
How did you remove Norton? I've seen (in XP) where Norton will change settings/keys when installed but not change them back when uninstalled. Not sure what settings or keys would do this so it's something of a SWAG.
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2008, 04:59 PM #7
I would CALL Canon support and see what they have to say about this issue!

You have NOT stated what camera that you have, so we can not go looking for a fix!
Computer Specs

25-Jan-2008, 02:54 PM #8
To Calvin-C:
Well, i removed norton normally. Just the normal uninstall option. It didn't ask anything different while uninstalling. And i dont remember whether i had norton installed at the time of pen drives. But for Camera Connection, i had already uninstalled it.

To DaveA:
I have a Canon Powershot A570IS camera to be specific. I dont think it's a camera issue, because it worked perfectly in my friends vista PC's. I'm too bored to contact Canon now. I'll like to try think of something else first, and if unsuccessful, will contact Canon.

Any Solution?
Computer Specs

27-Jan-2008, 04:36 AM #9
Well, i saw another problem today, indicating problems in my "Vista" or my "Vista Compatibility". I tried connecting two SonyEricsson phones (Z530i and K790i, both in file transfer mode (In this mode, a phone connects almost exactly like connecting a pen drive). My Vista detected it's name, but also asked to install the driver. And in device manager, i get the exclamatory sign, next to the name of these handsets. It doesnot ask for drivers in my friends computer running Vista. And when i tried in my XP, no problems at all.

I'll like to share another thing just in case it matters. When i mentioned in my first message that I tried pen drives, I did that when I didn't have any antivirus installed. And i formatted my PC then and installed a fresh copy of Windows Vista. I'm using this copy now.

Any solution?
Computer Specs

28-Jan-2008, 03:53 PM #10
I ask again! Any solution any1?
Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

Experience: Getting it
28-Jan-2008, 09:01 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhY View Post
I ask again! Any solution any1?
PCLinuxOS
http://www.pclinuxos.com/
Computer Specs

29-Jan-2008, 12:40 PM #12
"i get the exclamatory sign"
Normally means that the installed driver is NOT the right one.
Computer Specs

14-Feb-2008, 09:06 AM #13
Well, some new update.
I was cleaning my registry today with a registry cleaning software called "Wise Registry Cleaner." I had one pen drive attached in my system already (off course it wasn't working at that time because of the same error). While the cleaning process was going on, suddenly my pen drive got installed. It asked me how i wud like to open that drive, like it wud normally ask. That pen drive started to work. But this was just temporary. After the registry cleaning was finished, it wasn't working.
Does this mean something's wrong in my registry? What shud i do?
Computer Specs

17-Feb-2008, 01:28 AM #14
Good news today!
I downloaded "Registry Mechanic" Software 2day, and scanned my whole PC for registry problems. It detected a lot of problem sand fixed all of them too. And apparently because of that, i was able to connect my digital camera properly for the very first time to my PC in Vista OS. So the problem must have been in registry only. And moreover, Vista has become little fast now because of reqistry fixes. I havn't tried pen drives yet.
The problem looks to be fully solved, but I'll let you know when the problem is confirmed to be fully solved.
Computer Specs

18-Feb-2008, 12:58 PM #15
Well, i confirmed the working of pen drives also just now.
They are working perfectly fine.
I'm very happy for all's working perfectly!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!