Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Why do I need to change my password?

(!)

Member with 1,086 posts.

07-Feb-2008, 10:49 PM
Solved: Why do I need to change my password?
Ever now and then, I get a message when I start Vista that says something like, "Your password will expire in 11 days. You should think about changing it now." If I am the only one using this computer, why in God's name do I need to change my password?! Why does Microsoft feel the need to make me change my password?! I have always changed my password when I get these messages (grumbling all the while) but I was wondering what will happen if I don't change the password, and is there some way to disable this nuisance? Thanks in advance.
Trusted Advisor with 19,643 posts.

07-Feb-2008, 11:10 PM

07-Feb-2008, 11:13 PM
Here is a really nice tutorial on it. I have not sure if Vista Home Premium has all these options to change it though. Not sure what version of vista you are running.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/96...ion-vista.html
method 3 will work for all versions of vista.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 827 posts.

Experience: CompTIA A+, CCNA, MCSE
07-Feb-2008, 11:24 PM
Are you on your own personal computer or some computer at work/school? Usually companies will force password change policies for security reasons. When I was in the USAF it was every 90 days but the password itself had to be strict. Where I work at now is every 60 days but you can use anything for your password as long as it's 8 characters or more. Dictionary words are allowed.

If it's your home computer then you must have set the policy through Group Policy by accident.
Member with 1,086 posts.

08-Feb-2008, 04:07 AM
Squashman and jonmcc33, thanks for the replies. I think I have set the expiration date at 999 days. I had to use "Method Three," but as I completed the change, all of the screen shots looked ok. I guess I will find out the next time I boot-up my computer. Thanks again.

Referee07

08-Feb-2008, 07:36 PM
Why didn't you just set it to unlimited?
Member with 1,086 posts.

08-Feb-2008, 08:00 PM
Squashman, the instructions from your first posting had that option, but the instructions from the second posting didn't. I thought about putting "0" but wasn't sure if if would work. This morning when I booted my computer the "Your password is set to expire in XX days..." did not show up so I believe the problem is solved. I can go back and change the "999" to "0". Thanks again.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 106 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Feb-2008, 11:58 AM
If it's your computer, why did you think you need a password? just makes things more complex than neccessary.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 827 posts.

Experience: CompTIA A+, CCNA, MCSE
09-Feb-2008, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earld2 View Post
If it's your computer, why did you think you need a password? just makes things more complex than neccessary.
I always use a password for my computers. It's not complex at all and helps keep prying eyes away from your stuff.
Member with 1,086 posts.

09-Feb-2008, 08:16 PM
I use a password mainly in case someone is at my home (friends, repairmen, etc.) when I am using my computer. With a screen saver that requires a password (or when I put my computer "to sleep") if I'm off doing something else, anyone else in my home can't go snooping in my computer.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!

WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑