Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Microsoft Feeds Synchronization - What Is It?

(!)

Member with 204 posts.

04-Mar-2008, 10:46 PM #1
Microsoft Feeds Synchronization - What Is It?
What is "Microsoft Feeds Synchronization," and is it ok to prevent it from accessing the internet? (My firewall keeps blocking it.)
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 24 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Mar-2008, 01:54 AM #2
sounds like your downloading/uploading a feed with m$... so its probably important, and if you turn it off they will get grumpy... im not the biggest on vista but i bet it has to do with updates or something
Senior Member with 1,320 posts.

Experience: Once, again if I like it
05-Mar-2008, 02:01 AM #3
First off, don't use IE; switch to Firefox.

Otherwise,

In IE:

Tools\Internet Options
Select the Content tab
Settings button in the Feeds section
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-May-2008, 04:33 PM #4
I have not used IE in years, except when forced to by MS to update Vista. Still Zone Alarm catches msfeedssync.exe trying to access the Internet almost daily. I also do not use RSS. The only thing that might be trying to use this program is (the awesome) Windows Media Center, which I use extensively to record TV. I have manually denied Internet access to MS Feeds Sync for years and have experienced no problems with Media Center or anything else.

Getting back to the original question, what is MS Feeds Sync for? Can I tell Zone Alarm to always deny access to the Internet?
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

26-May-2008, 06:45 PM #5
It is part of the Windows RSS platform that monitors RSS feeds you've subscribed to. If you don't use it, you can block it, but would be best to also turn it off:
  1. In IE7 click the Tools button and select Internet Options from the pop-up menu.
  2. On the Content tab of the Internet Options dialog box, click the Settings button in the Feeds section of the dialog box.
  3. In the Feed Settings dialog box, uncheck the "Automatically check feeds for updates" check box

HTH

Jerry
Computer Specs

26-May-2008, 11:11 PM #6
Okay. Even though I never use IE, and IE is blocked by Zone Alarm from accessing the Internet, I did what you said. It will be interesting to see if the Zone Alarm messages stop. Thanks, I think.
Computer Specs

29-May-2008, 02:09 PM #7
Well I have gone a couple days without seeing The Message. Don't know why that worked but it seems to have. Thanks for twisting my arm.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!