Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Java, Vista, Mcafee

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Mar-2008, 01:02 PM #1
Java, Vista, Mcafee
I'm having real problems with one of these applications. Java seems to be disabled, not letting me view certain embedded video players, the content of my emails, certain websites and when i log on to my facebook page it says java is disabled or needs updating. The problem is i have been to the java website and it says i have the latest version installed and working. A second related problem is when i click on the Mcafee icon it comes up as a blank white screen and so i cannot access the security centre. Does anybody know what the problem is?

Much appreciated
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 24 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Mar-2008, 05:32 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG POKES View Post
I'm having real problems with one of these applications. Java seems to be disabled, not letting me view certain embedded video players, the content of my emails, certain websites and when i log on to my facebook page it says java is disabled or needs updating. The problem is i have been to the java website and it says i have the latest version installed and working. A second related problem is when i click on the Mcafee icon it comes up as a blank white screen and so i cannot access the security centre. Does anybody know what the problem is?

Much appreciated
Well i work for a company that issues MacAfee with all our software,unfortunately i know for a fact that there is also a virus called MacAfee,the first time you update MacAfee the virus sticks to the update files,the first thing i'd do is upgrade yourself to something like Avast,its free and i have never had an issue with it,automatically updates itself !!! Clean out your System to make sure there is no trojans or unwanted nasties......

With regards to your Java issue,if your using Firefox you will need to to into Tools>Options>Content and make sure Java and javascript is enabled

If your using Internet Explorer click Tools>Internet options>Advanced Tab and make sure that Java is selected,Save all settings and restart your browser

If this still doesnt work then reset advance settings and try again

If the worst comes to the worst debug your system and repair from CD

Should work now
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Mar-2008, 04:05 PM #3
I might be able to help
I just went through the same thing. It started about two weeks ago when McAfee ran an auto update to its software. I also have Vista (home premium) and used (note the past tense) McAfee Security Suite. After the update installed, Java didn't work, the windows sidebar came up empty, AIM didn't work, and McAfee Security Suite also came up as an empty box. I right clicked on the McAfee icon on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and discovered a utility called Virtual Technician. I ran that and it discovered problems with the installation of the update. It had a "fix" button so I pressed it and it made things somewhat better. I was then able to open Security Suite and see the security status of my computer. It said I had problems and it too had a "fix" button. So I pressed that. It repaired itself and all seemed to be okay. At least it was on my user -- the Administrator account. None of the other 3 users on my computer were fixed. I accessed the on-line chat support from McAfee and went through 3 first-line techs and second level support. No one could help me. We tried everything including completely uninstalling McAfee, creating new users, modifying permissions and parental controls, etc. They eventually told me I needed to contact Dell (the computer manufacturer) or Microsoft. Neither was free for me. I paid for Microsoft support. I spent 5 hours with its first level support and was unsuccessful. They bumped me to second-level support. The only thing that completely fixed my computer was a clean reinstallation of Vista, which wiped out everything on my hard drive. Thankfully I backed everything up and was able to get it all back. But it was a surreal problem. McAfee support is HORRIBLE! I have cancelled my subscription and will never use their software again. I installed Norton 360 and all is working well. Good luck. I hope you have an easier time. If you have only one user, the Virtual Technician route may solve your problem. It cost me money and about 50 hours of incredible frustration to get my computer back in order. All for a problem I didn't create. In fact the reason I found your question was to because I was searching to see if others were having the same problem!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 24 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Mar-2008, 04:55 PM #4
hey Rbaamo

I'm glad you seemed to have it rectified now
I will have to inform you that Virtual Technician is actually a malware program thats created by a virus amazingly called..........................
...............McAfee

Its a fairly annoyin virus to get rid of, in the event this does ever happen again please have a look in the add/remove programs section as it will be sitting in there and once uninstalled you can then just run Hijackthis and perhaps combofix to sterilise your PC

SG Pokes

Please try the following

Verify your personal firewall program settings
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Networking and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
2. Right-click the connection on which you want to turn off the Internet Connection Firewall, and then click Properties.
3. On the Advanced tab, click the box to select the option to protect my computer or network.
Temporarily disable your Firewall program and see if you can now download Java. Even though you may have had a Firewall running for some time without any previous problems, new updates to the firewall program may create issues.

Now if your using Firefox

1. click Tools
2. Options
3. Content tab
4. Check the enable Java box
5. Apply and select ok,reboot firefox and try the download again

If your using Internet Explorer

1. Click tools
2. Internet options
3. Security tab
4. Lower the security level and add the https://www.sun.com/ to your trusted sites
5. Advanced tab
6. Under Java make sure that the check box is selected
7. Apply select ok and exit
8. Restart IE and try to donwload

Then

1. Install Java for your browsers, then
2. Install Java 4 Update suite and
3. Reboot and repost

*Follow the above procedure in the order given

Last edited by Placehold; 19-Mar-2008 at 07:40 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!