Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Trying to print locally on remote desktop

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

12-Mar-2008, 12:13 AM #1
Trying to print locally on remote desktop
I am trying to print documents from my office computer on my home printer. I already have the remote desktop connection set-up. However when I push print when connected, it prints the document in the office. I thought it might be because my printer was connected to my home laptop wirelessly, so I hooked it up via USB but I still cannot connect to the home printer. Can you help me?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

12-Mar-2008, 04:17 PM #2
Are you connecting by Remote Desktop to the office computer? Or to the home computer?

On which computer is the document that you are trying to print? And on which computer is the application that is doing the printing?

12-Mar-2008, 08:39 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Are you connecting by Remote Desktop to the office computer? Or to the home computer?

On which computer is the document that you are trying to print? And on which computer is the application that is doing the printing?
I am connecting to the office computer from my home laptop. the documents are on the office computer. The application is on the office computer as well.
Computer Specs

12-Mar-2008, 09:16 PM #4
How did you manage to install your home printer on your office computer? Are you sure that you are selecting it when trying to print? I always try to print a test page from the printer's properties for a simple test.

12-Mar-2008, 09:21 PM #5
Quote:
How did you manage to install your home printer on your office computer? Are you sure that you are selecting it when trying to print? I always try to print a test page from the printer's properties for a simple test.
I haven't been able to install my home printer on the office computer yet. I have a deskjet 6988 printer at home that connects wirelessly to my home router. I thought I would be able to just open a port on my home router to let my office computer access it but it doesnt work. I have also tried to install home printer software/drivers on office PC but it needs to connect to the printer to finish.
Computer Specs

13-Mar-2008, 10:17 AM #6
See post #14 in http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt...-internet.html

That's more than a year old, but still the latest info I have on the subject.

21-Mar-2008, 01:36 PM #7
Quote:
See post #14 in http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt...-internet.html

That's more than a year old, but still the latest info I have on the subject.
I tried both of those options and neither seems to work. Is there another way to do this or am I completely hooped?
Computer Specs

25-Mar-2008, 02:04 PM #8
Just came across this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312135

Think it's exactly what you want/need. Thanks to cwwozniak for posting it in another thread.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,112 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Mar-2008, 02:43 PM #9
Quote:
Just came across this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312135

Think it's exactly what you want/need. Thanks to cwwozniak for posting it in another thread.
When I saw the subject line of this post, I thought it was for the one that I replied to.

The MS support article is for a host computer running Windows XP Pro and a client computer running XP Home or Pro. The post here is in the Vista forum. I am not sure if any of the XP information applies to any of the two computers Vista.

09-Apr-2008, 04:25 PM #10
I had already tried that solution. The client computer (home) is running Vista Basic. The remote computer is running Win XP Pro. Still haven't figured it out...
Computer Specs

09-Apr-2008, 05:51 PM #11
That's disappointing. I think that Vista Home Basic is not worth much, but I thought it could do as well as XP Home (except for faxing).

10-Apr-2008, 10:23 PM #12
Any other ideas? or should I just accept that this won't work? Thanks
Computer Specs

16-Apr-2008, 02:35 PM #13
Hang it there. One of these weeks we'll find something! Take a look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302361
Trusted Advisor with 19,648 posts.

16-Apr-2008, 08:47 PM #14
Well, I have always wanted to try this out, but haven't found a need to try it yet.
http://www.printeranywhere.com/
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Apr-2008, 11:33 PM #15
Its a permissions thing - I think
I know you can set a users profile up to use the default printer on the local machine (whichever one you are sat in front of when you open a remote session) as the printer of choice when a terminal services session is started.

I also know you can use Hamachi (https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp), the free version will do, to set up a VPN between your office PC and your home PC and then as long as your home Printer is shared you can add it to your office PC very easily. You can also share files using the same VPN.

If you're not using terminal services then Hamachi might be your best issue, thats assuming your employer doesnt mind you printing off company stuff at home and knows how to turn it off if you ever leave on bad terms.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!