Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need to reset Vista laptop to factory settings

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

12-Mar-2008, 09:58 PM #1
Need to reset Vista laptop to factory settings
I posted this along with a HijackThis log in the appropriate forums awhile ago and never got a response:

I have a dell vostro 1500 laptop running vista basic and I have had some issues with it recently. My Norton security caught two trojan viruses (vundo and soem other one), but I got an alert about the vundo trying to attack something, with the report looking like it was attacking from my computer. I have also had an issue with a DLL error popping up everytime I start up saying missing entry: run. And then I have had issues with my taskbar showing up when I start up, but then dissapearing. I can get it back by running the explorer.exe task, but then everytime I open a new program or try to view my files the exploere will restart. Nothing more tahn a usance when I'm using the interent, but it makes it a serious paing to have to open a program, then find the files I need.

At this point I've decided that I don't have the time to wait for someone to help me nor the time to try and figure it out on my own. This laptop has been used 90% for the purpose of running the CAD program Inventor for the FIRST robotics team that I am on and leads me to my single dilemma. While I had the files I need backed up before I started having problems, I need to be able to run the CAD program on this computer again. That and my Norton Security. Inventor I downloaded and so I'm not sure if I will be able to again without jumping through some hurdles in customer support, and the same goes for Norton, except that I have a physical copy of that for which I have used all of the liscences.

I simply need a way to gauruntee that I will be able to run these programs again and a guid to resetting my computer to factory settings. I don't need to save any of the files on the computer as the only ones that I need were backed up before I had any problems.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 24 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Mar-2008, 03:24 PM #2
Recovery From CD:

Insert your installation disc into the driver and reboot your PC,Upon reboot the pc will ask if you want to load from the disc,hit enter and the system should start to load from the disk

You can then select to Repair or Install the Operating system,follow the instructions on screen

From Recovery Partition:

Switch your PC off and reboot

Tap F8 until your boot screen is infront of you and select "Repair Your Computer" You should now have your "System Recovery Console" on screen

Select "Windows Complete PC Restore" and follow the instructions,

This will now restore your PC back to the Manufacturers settings

Alternatively

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

Regards
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!