Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) Now Available

(!)

Member with 3,477 posts.

18-Mar-2008, 10:24 PM #1
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) Now Available
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an update to Windows Vista that addresses feedback from our customers. In addition to previously released updates, SP1 will contain changes focused on addressing specific reliability, performance, and compatibility issues; supporting new types of hardware; and adding support for several emerging standards. SP1 also will continue to make it easier for IT administrators to deploy and manage Windows Vista.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone version can be installed on systems with any of the following language versions: English (US), French, German, Japanese, or Spanish (Traditional).

Read the overview of Windows Vista SP1, including what's new, technical details, guidelines and notable changes.

Read the Deployment Guide for Windows Vista SP1. This guide includes technical information, procedures, and recommendations for installing Windows Vista SP1 in a business or corporate environment.

DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is available on Windows Update.

To download the Standalone version of Windows Vista Service Pack 1 please follow the directions below in the Instructions section.

Before installing SP1, please visit the Windows Vista TechCenter and read the page "Things to Know Before you Download Windows Vista SP1"

The Microsoft Download Center site is your only authorized web source for downloading a licensed copy of Windows Vista Service Pack 1. To report a website offering unlicensed copies of Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for download, please send e-mail to: piracy@microsoft.com or visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx.

Download: Windows Vista SP1 (x86) (434 MB)
Download: Windows Vista SP1 (x64) (726 MB)
Homepage: Windows Update

Courtesy MSFN.org

Last edited by jmwills; 18-Mar-2008 at 10:38 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 895 posts.

19-Mar-2008, 06:28 AM #2
I do not see the option of SP1 when I click on Windows updates.
Member with 3,477 posts.

19-Mar-2008, 07:06 AM #3
That option run you thru the process of checking your updater software. All of the links are good.

You may be temporarily blocked coming in from the Europe.
Computer Specs
Member with 895 posts.

19-Mar-2008, 08:13 AM #4
Ok. Shall wait a few days to see when we get it in Switzerland.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,068 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Mar-2008, 11:21 AM #5
Not everybody is going to see SP1 on Windows Update right away.
Click on the following link for more information:
http://computerworld.com/action/arti...&intsrc=kc_top
bhahar84 bhahar84 is offline bhahar84 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 93 posts.

Experience: Mysterious Creatures
19-Mar-2008, 03:24 PM #6
You have to install some important updates first before you will be able to install Vista SP1 updates.

Refer here: Microsoft KB 937287

And, also remember that Microsoft only offer a sum of downloads of SP1 nowadays. So, you might not be able to see the Vista SP1 list, if the download exceeded certain number per day. Just keep trying
Computer Specs
Member with 895 posts.

20-Mar-2008, 01:22 PM #7
Thank you for your responses. I checked for driver problems, and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343 told me that conexant driver I had (version 4.22.0.0) would not let me have the SP1 update. Trying to update the software via windows updates gave me 800700FF error (update failed). Googling through the web for this error, I found a solution on http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index...=post&id=14993 and I now have the version 4.36.7.60, which will, I hope, let me have the SP1 update. I am not sure if emptying the SoftwareDistribution folder will create any problems, so I made a copy, just in case.

Last edited by js73; 20-Mar-2008 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Mis-spelt the name of the audio device
Member with 3,477 posts.

20-Mar-2008, 01:30 PM #8
It's hard to repsond if you don;t have the problem but I have seen this a couple of times in the forums I post in. Logically thinking, and here is where I get in trouble, is that you might try disabling that one device, reboot, and tehn try to get the Service Pack.
I would think that if the device is not in use, the error might get ignored. What does the maker of the device say on their site?
Member with 6,563 posts.

Experience: Learning as I go along
22-Mar-2008, 07:23 AM #9
If all is running well on my Vist Home Premium system , is it necessary to install this service pack? I should hate to find I have a problem after installing it.

Will Windows Update install it, eventually? (I use automatic updates)

Thanks.
Penny
Member with 160 posts.

22-Mar-2008, 07:39 AM #10
Tuppence,

If all is running well on your computer then leave well alone. I decided to update, after taking all the precautions.

Result was my machine would not boot up beyond the start screen. Only option was to rebuild, then restore from my backups.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

WB
Member with 3,477 posts.

22-Mar-2008, 08:23 AM #11
Stay where you are if you don't like increased file transfer speeds within the LAN, increased driver support, and more stability. Of course, you will be be adding newer updates one at a time in the future.
Computer Specs
Member with 895 posts.

22-Mar-2008, 12:50 PM #12
I would love to install SP1. Unfortunately, when I install the conexant driver version 4.36 (as described in in post #7), I lose the recording sound and I have to revert back to version 4.22 (which means no SP1 update through Windows update, at least for the time being). I contacted HP support, and while they were very helpful, they finally suggested I wait until mid-April when the driver problems may be sorted out.
Member with 6,563 posts.

Experience: Learning as I go along
22-Mar-2008, 01:25 PM #13
My system has run smoothly with no problems, to date, so I'll leave it as it is. Thanks for the advice, all of you.

Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Mar-2008, 02:25 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky.banana View Post
Tuppence,

If all is running well on your computer then leave well alone. I decided to update, after taking all the precautions.

Result was my machine would not boot up beyond the start screen. Only option was to rebuild, then restore from my backups.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

WB
too right! why do I mess with my pc? all the tweaks posted here and there?
I use the motherboard recovery program to restore the pc image as before when I get too experimental.
stan
Member with 55 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Mar-2008, 08:10 PM #15
RE: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) Now Available
Our machine is set for automatic downloads & updates.
Will Windows Update install (SP1) through automatic updates?
Thanks,
Moe_in_Ontario
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!