Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

VISTA - Loses Set Monitor Resolution

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Mar-2008, 01:19 PM #1
VISTA - Loses Set Monitor Resolution
I have a HP Pavilion a6110n PC. It has NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 and the HP w17e monitor. The monitor has a native display of 1440 x 900.

A few days ago I upgraded Vista with the Service Pack 1. I have always had my PC set to go into "Sleep" mode, which most of the time it doesn't do. This is even true with SP 1. At some point after the SP1 upgrade, I noticed my resolution would change settings, without me doing it.

Today, I noticed my PC had in fact gone into sleep mode, and when I woke it up, etc. once again, my 1440 x 900 resolution was gone. When this first happened a few days ago, I read something about Vista not being able to recognize a "native" resolution, and to correct the problem, it recommended to update the Nvidia drivers, etc. I did this, which corrected the problem, but for some reason, the 1440 x 900 is not kept at times, which I am now thinking is tied into whether or not the PC goes into sleep mode.

Each time I lose the 1440 x 900, I have to uninstall the new Nvidia drivers, and reinstall again, before Vista will display the 1440 x 900.

Any ideas as to what is causing this, and what, if anything can be done to keep it from continuing? In the meantime, I have my PC now set to not go into sleep mode, to see if that does help.

Thanks

pedum
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

25-Aug-2008, 02:15 AM #2
I also encounter this problem most of the time. I also have to reintall the Intel G33/G31 Chipset Driver all the time.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

25-Aug-2008, 10:58 AM #3
What I had to do was to "hide" the driver updates from Windows Update. This can be done from within Windows Update. "Hide" the drive updates that Windows Update wants to keep installing, even though it isn't necessary. Since doing this, I have no longer had the problem.

pedum
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!