Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

"you are currently not connected to any networks" but i AM!!

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Mar-2008, 01:41 PM #1
"you are currently not connected to any networks" but i AM!!
Hi there,

This is something that's been puzzling me since I downloaded the SP1 update. I'm using Vista Home Basic on a Dell Inspison 1501.

Basically, I'm connected to my wireless network at home fine. And I'm obviously connceted to the internet - everything is hunky dory. Except even now there's a red cross through my network icon in the sys tray that says "you are currently not connected to any networks". I click the link and go to the network and sharing center and the red cross is there still between the icon of my laptop and the globe icon signifying that I'm not connected to the internet. But when I look at the list of available wireless networks it says I'm connected to netgear - no problem.

This isn't a major problem but its very annoying as I never know by glancing at the sys tray whether or not I'm connceted or how strong the signal is. Does anyone know anything about this or how to fix it?

Many thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 458 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Mar-2008, 02:34 PM #2
That's because the one you are looking at with the red X is not the acive connection. Right-Click on that icon and click OPEN NETWORK CONNECTIONS. You should see another LAN or Wireless connection without the red X. Look at the properties of that and make sure the check box "show icon in notification area when connected" is checked. That's what causes that ICON to show up at the bottom.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

27-Mar-2008, 09:32 AM #3
grrrr
Hi, thanks for your speedy reply

I still haven't solved the problem. When I right click on the network icon there's no link to 'open network connections'. I can only;
'connect to a network'
'diagnose and repair'
or 'go to network and sharing center'

I've tried all three. I also went to control panel and opened network connections from there. I have two connections... one LAN connection that is currently disabled and one wireless connection that is currently enabled and the one I'm currently using. I tried right clicking on this wireless connection and going to 'properties' but there's nothing there regarding the network icon.

Again, this wasn't a problem until about a week ago! I didn't do anything differently... it just randomly decided to stop telling me when I'm connected or not. just a red cross aaall the time. I'm sorry if I'm missing something really simple and obvious (I don't think I am) I'm just worried its had something to do with installing SP1.

one more thing - it's not just the icon - when I open the network and sharing center it also says I'm not connected. But I am online and when I click 'diagnose' windows can't find a problem with my connection. hmm. I'll stop banging on now!

Compaq, thanks for your help
Computer Specs
Member with 458 posts.

27-Mar-2008, 09:48 AM #4
Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. Problem is I am using XP and don't have Vista in front of me. Obviously Microsoft has moved a few things around in Vista (Hate when they do that!). I'll have to look at a Vista machine and see what the options are. Believe it or not I still haven't gotten Vista yet.

Anyone on this thread in front of a Vista Machine to help him out?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,259 posts.

27-Mar-2008, 11:47 AM #5
I have seen this also. BUT, it is when I am connected to internet by wireless but my NIC (cat5) is not, so that connection shows the red X.
I normally connect by Cat5 when at home or where there is a cat5 connection.
Computer Specs
Member with 458 posts.

27-Mar-2008, 11:50 AM #6
Exactly. I'm at work now and my wireless has the red X but my hardwired lan connection shows normal. Wish I had a Vista machine here to figure out how the heck Microsoft has that setup.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,469 posts.

27-Mar-2008, 12:01 PM #7
If you never use the cat5, disable the connection in the BIOS.
Computer Specs
Member with 458 posts.

27-Mar-2008, 12:18 PM #8
That's weird because on Xp and 2000 if the device is disabled in your network connections it won't appear on the taskbar. Vista must be different?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,259 posts.

27-Mar-2008, 12:36 PM #9
If I remember right one can connect to more than one network using Vista. This allows the use of both Wireless and NIC (Cat5) at the same time.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

09-Jul-2008, 03:58 AM #10
Smile I have the same problem
This is my first time ever using a formum. I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer for the last few months. I also find it strange that the majority of people who claim to have this problem own dells. I have a Dell XPS 1530. The first time I had this problem I reformated my computer and started over from scratch and it was good until about 3 days ago when I installed a few window updates and a few messenger services. I dont know if you have already found a solution to this problem but if you have I would greatly appreciate it. If I figure it out I will post it here. Don't feel bad I know it isnt something simple. I troubleshoot and fix people's computers all day long at work but its a little frustrating when I cant fix my own. I do have one question for you though. When you do try to connect to anything that deals with the network is it slow. Since I have had this problem my computer runs fine just like it was Unless I am trying to do something related to network settings. For instance if you click on Network in the start menu, network and sharing center, or select connect to a network from network notification in the system tray next to the time does it take forever? By the way my girlfriend has the exact same computer as me and hers works fine so I am will continue to try and figure this out thank you.
Computer Specs

09-Jul-2008, 04:25 AM #11
Lightbulb Do you use Messenger?
Do you use AIM Aol Instant Messenger if you do I might have found out what the problem is. Also does your computer say Server Execution Failed in the Network and Sharing Center?

I dont know if this thing puts out my email address but if you are sti
ll trying to solve this problem this is my email address.

sean.trader@live.com
sean.trader@us.army.mil

Check this site out and see if any of these user's problems are similar to yours. There are serveral pages so I am trying to get to the answer.
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...5469&SiteID=17
Computer Specs

09-Jul-2008, 06:19 AM #12
Try these
http://bumped.org/tek/2007/10/07/aim...player-issues/

on the site above they explain this issue and display some fixes. I am going to try one and I will let you know if it works out for me
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!