Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Corrupt boot sector?

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Apr-2008, 06:00 AM #1
Corrupt boot sector?
Vista SP1, 500GB disk, 4 partitions: recovery, system, data & other - running for about 6 months without issue...

Used Paragon Parition Manager 8.5 to resize partitions (shrink system, expand data), rebooted and now can't boot. If I try safe mode, the last driver listed is crcdisk.sys, then it blue screens and restarts (too quickly to read the blue screen).

In System Recovery options get "Operating System: Unknown on (Unknown) Local disk". Open a command prompt there and can only see the data partition & the system restore partition. If I try 'chkdsk c:' I get "the type of file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives".

If I run Startup Repair, I get the following output:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: System Disk
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 1
Problem Signature 04: 65537
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: CorruptBootSector
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 1
Problem Signature 09: FixBootSector
Problem Signature 10: 1168
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Looking at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us, if I try 'bootrec /scanos' I get 'Total Identified Windows Installations: 0'. I've tried the /FixMBR and /Fixboot options, didn't work.

Is this just a corrupt boot sector, or could the other partions be damaged too? What else can I try? I don't mind reinstalling Vista but would prefer to avoid it.

(I have an XP box I could host the Vista disk in if there's any suitable tools I could use to check / repair the disk).
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,469 posts.

05-Apr-2008, 10:26 AM #2
Don't know if you can reverse what has happened; from Paragon Knowledge Base
http://kb.paragon-software.com/parag...jsp?catId=2124

Q: What is a Bootable Recovery CD?

A: Our Bootable Recovery/Copy CD is a special add-on developed as an alternative for Windows environment. It provides some opportunities when one can't use our software under Windows for certain reasons. All functions of our software products under Windows can be found on Recovery CD and even more:

You can create/format/delete partitions on hdd, when no OSes are available.
You can correct different unbootable situations using Update MBR, changing partitions' properties, editing 'boot.ini' file, etc. More powerful tool 'BootCorrector' is available for Professional and Server versions.
When applying operations you can see directly the process taking place and its immediate results.
You can restore system partition and operate other locked partitions for OSes, which don't have BlueScreen mode (Windows 9x/ME). In DOS mode not all hardware is supported (USB/Firewire devices, some RAIDs).
You can perform operations, which are unavailable due to software incompatibilities under Windows.
====================================
Are you able to access the Recovery Partition and if so, does it allow for a repair install of Vista as opposed to wiping everything clean?

05-Apr-2008, 06:26 PM #3
I can access the vista recovery partition, but it can't see my vista installation. I can see the data partition and copy off the files i need, plus it's backed up with carbonite, i might just bite the bullet and reinstall...
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
05-Apr-2008, 07:09 PM #4
Chances are that you changed the partitions but the MBR is still the same. Try booting from the Vista DVD and running a startup repair.

Unless you want to reinstall, you might use bootrec.exe from the DVD command prompt to repair the boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927392

Last edited by Elvandil; 06-Apr-2008 at 04:15 PM..

06-Apr-2008, 05:22 AM #5
Hi - tried bootrec previously, didn't work. Output with the '/rebuildbcd' option is:

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total Identified Windows Installations: 0
The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted

The /fixmbr and /fixboot options both return 'the operation completed successfully', still can't boot however

Last edited by tf73; 06-Apr-2008 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: additional info
Member with 11,598 posts.

06-Apr-2008, 06:16 AM #6
Have you tried running the Command Chkdsk /r on that drive

06-Apr-2008, 06:35 AM #7
Yes, as per the original post, I get "the type of file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives".
Member with 11,598 posts.

06-Apr-2008, 07:16 AM #8
You could try Recover My Files and use the Complete Format Recover has worked for me in the past to retrieve data

06-Apr-2008, 04:53 PM #9
Yes, CHKDSK doesn't work with RAW drives. I've rebuilt now, all OK
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
06-Apr-2008, 05:25 PM #10
The partition table probably contains invalid information. Recovery or editing is a possibility.

Have you reinstalled now?

06-Apr-2008, 06:13 PM #11
Yes, reinstalled Vista. In the end my data partition was OK, so just needed to install OS and apps
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!