Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How can i reinstall Windows Defender on Vista?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 19 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-May-2008, 09:31 AM #1
How can i reinstall Windows Defender on Vista?
I have stopped some programs running at start up by using the msconfig and unticking the boxes of the programs I do not want to start when booting up, (selective start up). As a result I keep getting an error saying that windows has stopped some programs from running and to start the programs click the error message. When I do this windows defender appears. I have disabled the programs from starting up in defender also, but I still get the error message each time I boot up. Therefore I have uninstalled defender thinking that this would remove the error message but it does not. I have tried to reinstall windows defender but I keep being told that I do not need to install defender because it is included in Vista, so I can not reinstall it.
Can someone please tell me how to reinstall windows defender and how I can remove the error message?

Thanks

Last edited by smudger2468; 29-May-2008 at 01:31 PM..
Member with 45 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-May-2008, 09:53 AM #2
So did you actually go into services.msc and disable the Windows Defender service from there too, or just via msconfig?
Computer Specs

29-May-2008, 10:39 AM #3
I haven't disabled windows defender at all, I just uninstalled it, hoping to reinstall it so the error message telling me that some programs have been stopped from running at start up, stops appearing every time I boot up.
But as said it wont let me reinstall it but keeps telling me it is included in Vista.

Last edited by smudger2468; 29-May-2008 at 01:32 PM..
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,619 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-May-2008, 10:49 AM #4
How did you uninstall Defender since it is NOT listed in the Add and Remove area of Control Panel?

Edit
I use OneCare on my Vista machine and it only turns OFF Defender, NOT uninstall it.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 1,519 posts.

29-May-2008, 11:54 AM #5
It is possible to uninstall it through the command prompt but not through the software Add and Remove area.
Anyway, however you have achieved it, you can download it and reinstall from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...yware/software
Computer Specs

29-May-2008, 12:37 PM #6
Check out http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...ut/sysreq.mspx
and you will find the following and NO mention of Vista!
Quote:
Windows Defender: System requirements
Published: February 13, 2006 | Updated: October 23, 2006
Minimum system requirements for Windows Defender:

• Personal computer with an Intel Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) or higher processor; Pentium III recommended.

• Operating system: Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later.

• 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (minimum); 128 MB RAM (recommended).

• 20 MB of available hard disk space.

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.

• Internet access with at least a 28.8 Kbps connection.

• Windows Installer version 3.1 or higher. Visit the Microsoft Download Center to download the installer.
Computer Specs

29-May-2008, 01:30 PM #7
I have attached the error messages I receive when trying to reinstall Windows Defender.
I DID uninstall it via control panel/uninstall a program/programs and Features.
Please be clear, I have the windows defender installer package saved on to my desktop, but when I try to reinstall it I get the attached error messages. It won't let me reinstall it. I am using vista home premium.
Once again, I have not disabled it at all just uninstalled it.
Attached Thumbnails
How can i reinstall Windows Defender on Vista?-error-message-1.jpg   How can i reinstall Windows Defender on Vista?-error-message-2.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
29-May-2008, 01:58 PM #8
Don't use msconfig for managing startup programs. Save it for diagnostics and leave the warning message intact so that if malware makes any changes to your startup, you will get a notice. You should be able to use the normal and not "selective" startup. Msconfig will also keep uninstalled programs in its list unless they are removed manually, as you know.

MSConfig Cleanup

Use a startup manager:

Startup Control Panel
MZ Startup Manager
Startup Control Panel (Exe version for Vista)
Emsa Startup Manager
EM Startup Manager
WheresJames Startup Manager

Use the Services console to control services startups.

For removing Defender, go to Control Panel and remove it from your installation in Programs and Features. Reboot and then re-enable it if you want it back.
Computer Specs

29-May-2008, 02:39 PM #9
A bit confused now. I have attached another error message I get when I boot up now. I have selected normal startup (in msconfig system configaration), and everything is ticked.
This error message also appears when I go - start/ type in search box - windows defender, then click on it when found.
Does this mean that windows defender is still on my PC despite me uninstalling it? And if so, is it just a case of turning it back on, so to speak? I.E start the service manually? If so, how can I do this? As said everything is now ticked in msconfig normal start up.
Attached Thumbnails
How can i reinstall Windows Defender on Vista?-error-message-3.jpg  
Member with 45 posts.

29-May-2008, 08:46 PM #10
You need to go to "services.msc". Type that in from Start > Run and hit enter. Scroll down the list to the Windows Defender service, right click on it and select properties. In there change the settings for it to start automatically. You could also manually start the service at the same time. That should fix the error.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 1,519 posts.

30-May-2008, 12:09 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudger2468 View Post
I have attached the error messages I receive when trying to reinstall Windows Defender.
I DID uninstall it via control panel/uninstall a program/programs and Features.
Please be clear, I have the windows defender installer package saved on to my desktop, but when I try to reinstall it I get the attached error messages. It won't let me reinstall it. I am using vista home premium.
Once again, I have not disabled it at all just uninstalled it.
First, as daveA said, echoed by myself, you cannot uninstall defender from the Control panel. This is fact! So whatever you did uninstall, it most certainly was not Defender. As you have been reminded in the popup, Defender comes already incorporated in Vista and there is no need to "reinstall" it.
Are you using a full retail release of Vista? I seem to recall that in the very early Beta's you could actually uninstall some addons such as defender.
Unticking it through the Msconfig facility, will only stop it running at startup.

I would suggest that first you re-enable Defender through the Msconfig and, if you have been there, through the Services.msc. Restart and re-enable the programs you disabled , in Defender. having done that, if you repost, I am sure someone will then give advice as to which programs you can then disable, through the Defender. I don't use it myself.
If you have difficulty re enabling Defender, you could try restarting it through the "Program Files - Windows Defender"

Last edited by davehc; 30-May-2008 at 12:36 AM..
Computer Specs

30-May-2008, 02:10 AM #12
I am using a full release of Vista.
Everything is ticked in msconfig.
I have tried starting in manually and automatically in services but keep getting the attached error message.
It won't let me delete any Windows Defender files in program files, just get the error - destination folder access denied. Have tried in safe mode also. Clicked on everything in the windows defender program file and still no joy. Tried as administator also.
Tried running regcure also.
Attached Thumbnails
How can i reinstall Windows Defender on Vista?-error-message-4.jpg  
Computer Specs

30-May-2008, 10:29 AM #13
What is the make and model of this machine?
Computer Specs

30-May-2008, 03:15 PM #14
Dell Computer Corporation Dell DE051
Computer Specs

30-May-2008, 04:30 PM #15
Call them and get instuctions on doing a "System Recover". BUT back up ALL of your data on a external device before calling.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!